Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Drive Free Space Error Problem

• 09-02-2005 12:19pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a pc here which is giving me a free disk space error. The disk is 80GB and it is telling me that there is just over 2 gigs free. Now I know that is incorrect but can't for the life of me figure out why.
    I have checked everything I can think of. I ran the following:-
    AVG 7 scan (many times)
    Ad Aware scans (many times)
    Microsoft Beta ad scan (namy times)
    CCleaner
    the folder size utility from http://brio.dyndns.org/foldersize shows nothing strange.
    amongst others.
    I also cleaned out all the temp files, ran a defrag, scandisk... and nothing (apart from bringing the free space from about 50Mb to the current 2.5gigs)
    [Win2k SP4]
    Belarc Advisor Output (minus licence details etc.) - http://www.kbannon.com/pc_prob/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

out of curiosity, how much data have you on the hard disk? including installed apps, windows and whatever other crap...

not sure about the jumper settings on the Maxtor drives, but something's leaning me towards the disk being set to have a 32GB clip. if it is, just change the jumper settings.

aswell, how much space is set for virtual memory?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

didn't check the virtual memory settings - will look at it when I go back in tomorrow!
    There is nothing really on the disk apart for the installed software:-
    Oracle 9i database & + Forms/Reports Developer & windys & other apps - you are talking about less than 10Gb. All crap is regularly removed.
    The pc is new (<6months) and hasn't been opened so jumper settings shouldn't be the cause I presume (will check it anyway tomorrow).

Just checked everything again and noticed that even though it didn't show up on the folder size utility mentioned in my 1st post, there was an error log file for the oracle apache server which was over 69GB!
    Deleted and all is well.
    Thanks woolymammoth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd usually search for files larger than 10mb, then arrange by size... would've helped you out :D

thats how I found it today. I trusted the folder size utility too much and it gave an incorrect reading

• Advertisement
Advertisement