Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP Online shop

Options
  • 09-02-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Does anyone have old college notes or know of any good sites to learn ASP with examples of code ? I have a project due in next tuesday and I am screwed please dont recommend w3schools as thats the site that I was trying to learn it off. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do a search on google - there are loads of sites out there.

Try this one for starters.

Another great site is ASPFAQ.com, but you have to know what you are looking for - it gives small code snippets for specific issues, rather than complete tutorials.

If you have any specific ASP problems, stick up a message here and I will see if I can help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The best site I've seen is 4GuysFromRolla for tutorials and FAQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Great thanks, I am sure u will hear alot from me over the next few days as its due in on Tuesday, well here goes only 4 full days left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tupelo

www.aspin.com is really good cause it searches from all the other websites and there are loads of examples

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What does the project have to do? Lots of sites assume you know basics and so on.

• Advertisement

IT is an online cd/dvd web store, where you can login in as a member and view your purchases. also you dont have to be a member to purchase stuff either. Also I have to be able to make up your own cd's from choosing songs from other cd. (thats the least of my worries though) need the basic stuff first. Also I have to have the whole Admin side of it adding, deleting updating ect.. and then theres the shopping cart and payment side of things.

All in all its alot considering what I actually learnt in college from the stupid notes, they were basically ripped of w3schools. and editted down to feck all since half my class came from a programming back ground, where I came from Training and Support course, and that will tell you how good that course was when I cant even teach myself something as basic as ASP.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

start with the basics - www.manastungare.com has a downloadable tutorial. then try some simple apps.
    You may even want to try an editor that can help insert code for you - www.aspin.com/home/software/aspcodee

So, you have to write an entire online store for a college project? that seems a bit over the top?

Do you have to write the site from scratch, or can you integrate any shopping cart functionality etc?
    I cant even teach myself something as basic as ASP.

ASP may be a basic enough language, but it's what you do with it that counts. HTML is even simpler, but look at all those crap sites out there... :rolleyes:

yeah we have to do it right from scrath, we had to even decide what Operating System we were going to use,Format the harddrive and load on the software.

Its a joke we have to teach ourselfs everything, when I am doing a course in Computer System Management, I thought the whole point of the course was to learn how to become a Manager and learn that in the big bad world you can employ others to do the work for you and you sit in your big office, and keep your boss happy.

but no you have to be a computer programmer to pass the year, If I fail this project I fail the whole entire course.
    We can use code from a shopping cart online but you have to comment each line and know how it works line by line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

What college are you in?

• Advertisement

a course in Computer System Management
    To be honest, I would interpret that to be a technical course - i.e. how to manage a computer system, not how to manage a team.

Having said that, your project is something that they should be doing in a programming course. Creating an entire online store with registered users etc is waaay over the top. It requires a good knowledge of programming and a good knowledge of relational databases. I wrote an online store (along the lines of what you need to do) from scratch in ASP, and found that there was a huge amount of planning, re-writing etc involved. Like I said before, ASP methods, syntax etc is easy enough to learn, but using it properly is the challenge...

If you are doing this in ASP, then the easiest thing to do about the OS is use Windows NT Server 4 and IIS 4. The IIS installation is very straight forward, and is ready for use as soon as it is installed.

If you are being graded on how robust the system is, then you will need a decent database - mySQL is free, but requires a working knowledge of databases. If you just need a database that is easy to set up and access, then use Microsoft (please people, no posts on how crap access is - for a project like this, it is more than sufficient).

With regards to the actual programming, break down the site into the actual areas of functionality that you need. That should be a good start - e.g.

1) Add, edit, delete products from the store
    2) Display product information
    3) Add, edit, delete users from the store
    4) Add, remove products to/from basket
    5) Checkout page
    6) Order history
    etc etc

If you do this, you may find it easier to see what needs to be done first.

Eoin

Carlow IT in 3rd Year. pretty regretting turning down a full time job to come back and get my degree , but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. This is a course that you have to teach yourselfs and the lectures can sit back and relax on their big fat pay checks.

This is what the course is designed to do. Most people in my class came from a programming background where I came from Training and Support.

http://www.itcarlow.ie/courses/comp/courses_comp_cw098.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

car wrote:
    yeah we have to do it right from scrath, we had to even decide what Operating System we were going to use,Format the harddrive and load on the software.

Since you have a choice of OS to run all this on then if *and only if* you're already familiar/comfortable with linux then you could use linux and opt for writing the app in PHP (with MySQL and Apache) - I've written apps in asp and php and, while I'm not expressing an opinion on which is 'better', I would have to say that if starting from scratch you may find php quicker to pick up. This of course depends on whether you are permitted to use anything other than asp (your original post doesn't say if it HAS to be asp). You can of course deploy a php application (with apache & mysql) on your windows box as well.

Then again you may already have chosen the platform to use. I also concur with the above posters in that this project seems very large and involved - particularly if you haven't been given at least a couple of weeks to work on it.

Advertisement