Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for Leading Diver Canditates

• 09-02-2005 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am going to (try!!) to cross over to CFT this summer which will involve me doing the Leading Diver course. Anybody else doing it this year? Anybody done it and have advice/ tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I did the leading diver last year. Its a good course alright but the weekend itself is pretty tough as I'm sure you've heard ;)

If you're already a Padi Instructor you should have no bother with the theory side of things. Depending on how good you are at swimming etc the waterwork should be straightforward but I recommend trying it out as soon as you've a chance.

You have to act as Diving Officer for the day 10 times I think so I'd say to get started with that as quickly as you can. You'd be amazed how quickly you run out of weekends.

Seeing as you're already an instructor you should have no problems with leading trainees, giving dive briefs and handling incidents but also make sure you're well practiced at handling a rib.

If you've any questions just drop me a private message.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

Thanks Donny,
    Well remembered, I am a (retired!) PADI OWSI. I do feel fairly comfortable with being DOD, doing briefings and with the theory. I have already started to look at the rustier bits of my knowledge.

My weakness will be my general fitness level and boat handling. PADI don't do any boat handling, but I have picked up an RYA level 2 cert - however I am a woman driver so the lads in the club have never given me a chance to clock up some hours behind the wheel. That's partly my own fault too as I prefer to dive than drive.

Being a woman I possess the dreded BBB :eek: (buoyant boobs & bum) - not good for the 10m snorkel dives! Once the head is down, the arse pops up like a cork. (pass me another couple of weight belts please! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D )
    http://worldwidepablo.blogs.com/worldwide_pablo/thar_she_blows.JPG << Not Safe For Work E.P.

I am not too unfit and dont smoke - but I will need lots of practice. 10m seems like a long way down without tanks. But, tus maith leath na hoibre, so I am hoping to start the snorkels/ fitness this weekend. However, I think that I might have problems finding people to play with me. I am the only LD canditate in the club (though I am looking forward to meeting others in the region at the briefing.). I thought if I could communitate with other LDCs, at least I could have moral support and help with the theory. Anybody there? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The arse is manky!

<Moral support>

Best of luck with the training. You'll do grand sure!!

</Moral support>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Pity that you are on your own, always nice to do one of these courses with someone else. Think I'll leave the leading diver till next year and do nitrox, rescue and cox this year. As far as I know you'll need the last 2 for the LD exam, not too sure about crossover though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Best of luck. For 10m dive and 6m breathold pool practice will help. In the deep end, from surface, drop down on either side of pool,fin to other side on bottom, 20 second breath hold and fin back on bottom and surface.
    For sea work, use a shot and have diver(s) on shot line at respective depths. Secret is relaxation for these particular disciplines. As for sea swim, get lots of practice...this was my bogey twice.
    Get in sea in swimsuit. The rest of water work is a doddle. The weekend is a whole different ballgame. As long as there are no (I`M A MON, Y`KNOW) fools there, it should be ok. Majority of Moniteurs are A-1 but you never know. On the 40m dive you can shot the site before the dive, in which case you need to know the rule of twefths, or on the dive itself. AFAIK there is a 1m error allowance. On the 20m "trainee" dive, check EVERYTHING twice with buddy check, plenty of ok`s on the boat and talk him/her through the dive. Brief him/her on exactly what is happening on the dive and ok check on descent. Keep "trainee" between you and rock face/wreck and stay slightly above and behind "trainee". Be preparded for a sudden burst of speed.
    Get "trainee" back on boat first. At base, back on shore, keep a keen eye for "incidents", i.e. a tester sitting down, rubbing an elbow etc. This is a cue to go into rescue management mode. Use everyone around you to ring 999, get O2 from rib, take notes, isolate his kit and check his buddy etc...
    Should be fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Folks, I've updated the forum charter in relation to pictures of arses etc. Can you all please have a look? It just that some people are in work and their employers may have an internet usage policy.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

oops, sorry phill. :o

Thanks for all the Tips folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

S'all right, we should have included it in the charter before now.

Advertisement