Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend tv for xbox?

Options
  • 09-02-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good quality tv for an xbox. Preferably a 28" widescreen or something around that size... going to be lugging it round to mates houses every so often so it can't be too big! Currently using a Phillips but didn't realise how bad the pic quality was until a mate bought a Mitsubishi black diamond(?), tis nice but has no headset socket which sucks!

What would you guys recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

a tv's a tv when it comes to consoles. If its an older tv of course you're gonna have crap picture quality but I always find that larger tv's are better for the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

GaRtH_V wrote:
    a tv's a tv when it comes to consoles. If its an older tv of course you're gonna have crap picture quality but I always find that larger tv's are better for the xbox

I would have said that until I saw the difference between the 2 tvs, neither of which are very old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Black diamonds suck. They don't display an NTSC signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Retr0gamer wrote:

ive been looking for ones that do ?
    where can i get one thats multi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Mine does PAL + NTSC on both SCART inputs plus the AV IN out front.

Sanyo 28" WS in silver, full suite of Dolby Surround modes, 4 speakers (2 + 2 satellites), crocodile (Hi-Fi-type) clips for more on back, matching cabinet/stand.

See my old FS thread

Yours for 350 yoyos ono.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote:

Thats funny cause my widescreen black diamond plays NTSC perfect. Have the cube playing imports and multi-region dvd player on and no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

A modern TV not displaying NTSC probably means you're not using RGB cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't think NTSC/PAL comes into it when using RGB cable as the signal is in a basic form or red, green and blue. But you need a TV that supports 60Hz to play NTSC through RGB on a PAL TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NTSC does work on a black diamond through RGB but not through AV. Can only find an AV cable for my Japanese Saturn and was really pissed that I could only play in B&W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Can only find an AV cable for my Japanese Saturn

Ya din't look very hard then, didya!

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=178&products_id=1478

• Advertisement

can someone please link tvs from powercity/argos that support NTSC.
    ive been looking everywhere, went to powercity and old man didnt have a clue.

Placebo wrote:
    can someone please link tvs from powercity/argos that support NTSC.
    ive been looking everywhere, went to powercity and old man didnt have a clue.

For how much? What size?

i was looking atthis
    posted about it here
    nothing too expensive or too big, within 200 really. Gettin Modded Xbox soon aswell, soo..

I'm having alot of trouble finding any info about that TV other than whats posted on Argos.

I'm also find it nearly impossible to find irish websites that sell TV's that has been upated in the past year.

If you buy a decent RGB cable for you PS2 and Xbox you should have no problems with NTSC playback on that TV.

people keep mentioning RGB cables ? dont you get an rgb cable WITH ur ps2 ?
    whats that cable you get !?

Balfa wrote:
    Ya din't look very hard then, didya!

Its called laziness :D
    can someone please link tvs from powercity/argos that support NTSC

All philips TVs support NTSC and are decent prices.

Placebo wrote:
    people keep mentioning RGB cables ? dont you get an rgb cable WITH ur ps2 ?
    whats that cable you get !?

You get a composite cable with the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

A RGB cable is basicly a scart lead. I gives a much better picture than composite and nearly all TV support NTSC through it.

Xbox RGB cable: http://www.chipspain.com/images/xbox-rgbcable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    All philips TVs support NTSC and are decent prices.
    aye. my flatmate's 28" phillips widescreen is just the job for games.
    all import cube games i've played work fine, and the aspect control is going to come in handy for resident evil 4 :)

Advertisement