Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tournament Kildare Town

Options
  • 09-02-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

This Friday (11th February) there is a Texas Hold'Em tournament in the CYMS Hall in Kildare Town,Co.Kildare Reg 7.30 Start time 8.00. €25 entry fee with €10 rebuys for the first hour and a half. Usually 60/80 players. Last months winner received 1000 euros. Any one looking for any further info just ask.
    PS
    In conjunction with these monthly tournaments there is a Grand Final Event taking place in September. To qualify for a place in the Grand Final you have to finish in the top 5 in any of the monthly tournaments.The winner of this event receives a trip for 2 to Las Vegas (prize includes flights,hotel and cash).
    Any questions just ask!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

So DeV, what about this one?

Ready, steady, go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Skitbra wrote:
    So DeV, what about this one?

Ready, steady, go!!!!

Kilcock 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What's you problem Skitbra? DeV and others on this site are looking after the best interests of Irish poker players to make sure they are not being ripped off. Players who play poker without any information about a tournament are very nieve and have no right to complain as they have not asked any questions. Enough of the sarcasm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Fair point, but enough is enough. DeV is going along to the Gresham today to see whethter he will give it his "blessing". To make sure the event goes "according to DeV". I think his head may not fit inside the doors however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If there were not people like DeV more Irish poker players would be riped off....Keep up the good work Dev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Skitbra wrote:
    Fair point, but enough is enough. DeV is going along to the Gresham today to see whethter he will give it his "blessing". To make sure the event goes "according to DeV". I think his head may not fit inside the doors however.

You're an idiot...as such I shouldn't bother replying to you, after all you'll probably just drag me down to your level and beat me with experience..

DeV is going along tonight to write an article for his website, which surprisingly is about Irish Poker, now as strange as it may seem that he would go to a Poker tournament in Ireland to write about Irish Poker I'm willing to let it slide.

He has said that he will report on what he finds, if it's good he'll say so, if it's bad he'll say so, it's called critiquing. You may be familiar with the term..if not lets just say he'll give a balanced and unbiased opinion as a player with no stake in organising the tournament.

As far as I'm concerned he's providing a service to all Irish poker players and should be congratulated rather than slagged, but then what would I know, I'm only an Irish Poker player..your comments are ridiculous and unwelcome, if you don't like what's being said here I'm sure you can find another forum where your educated, informed and above all relevant and valued opinion will be more than welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I think Iago is trying to say

I do beseech you--
    Though I perchance am vicious in my guess,
    As, I confess, it is my nature's plague
    To spy into abuses

as he did in Act3 Scence 3.

Although I may be wrong.

You like being hoodwinked skitbra? There's a game in Kilcock I think you'd love.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Juan Pablo wrote:

I do beseech you--
    To spy into abuses

Although I may be wrong.

You like being hoodwinked skitbra? There's a game in Kilcock I think you'd love.......

Huh! JP visiting the Hasslehoff forum again? It was DH said that, wasn't it?

Skit:

I'm not playing because nothing I've seen is encouraging about the game. If it's a charity game and I like the charity I'll take a negative value to support the charity even with all the crap. Hence, my visit to Kilcock1.

However, if Dev, or a certain number of people here, say it's actually a well run tournament, thats well worth attending, you can count on me playing next time around.

He's not the God of poker but he is fair. (His own opinion's excluded! ;) )

Juan Pablo wrote:

I do beseech you--
    To spy into abuses

Although I may be wrong.

Not far off JP, after all For I am nothing, if not critical[size=-12]act 2 scene 1[/size]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Is this not spam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I have played in the last two of these in Kildare and enjoyed them.

There is a bit of fun and some good and some bad cards.
    The hall can be cold especially if your at the tables near the door but apart from that i can't complain.

The prize structure and prize fund are read out after the break.

They announce the total players and buy backs then take the costs involved in the hall, catering from the prize fund. There is also money taken out of the prize fund for the trip to Vegas which is the winners prize being offered at the grand final. It all seems to be above board.
    Posted by EARMUFFS: To qualify for a place in the Grand Final you have to finish in the top 5 in any of the monthly tournaments.The winner of this event receives a trip for 2 to Las Vegas (prize includes flights,hotel and cash).

AFAIK they are running 9 monthly tourneys with 5 seats at each (one has been played) and each player can only get one seat at the final.

I don't know any more than that but if needed i can try to get in touch with the organisers for a bit more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

bohsman wrote:
    Is this not spam?
    Nail, hammer... head!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see the regulars get it.

Skitbra, I'm not your enemy. If anything I thought you'd be happy if someone came along and said "hey hey, everyone, chill, these guys arent like the ripoff merchants we've encountered before". You know, independant validation? Noone made me god of Irish poker (that title is currently in dispute between The Joe Show and Player X :):) ) but I am involved and I write a lot about the scene. I'm also not afraid to call a spade a spade be that complementary or critical. As you can see, some people value that opinion. If you dont, theres an ignore feature on this site. I know, cos, well... its my site :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

henbane wrote:
    Nail, hammer... head!
    I'll get around to the spam element of this post shortly, right now I have a game to go to :):)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

RustySpoon wrote:
    I have played in the last two of these in Kildare and enjoyed them.

There is a bit of fun and some good and some bad cards.
    The hall can be cold especially if your at the tables near the door but apart from that i can't complain.

The prize structure and prize fund are read out after the break.

They announce the total players and buy backs then take the costs involved in the hall, catering from the prize fund. There is also money taken out of the prize fund for the trip to Vegas which is the winners prize being offered at the grand final. It all seems to be above board.

AFAIK they are running 9 monthly tourneys with 5 seats at each (one has been played) and each player can only get one seat at the final.

I don't know any more than that but if needed i can try to get in touch with the organisers for a bit more info.

Point taken about the coldness of the hall. If only those smokers would close the bloody door! How did you get on in the last tournament?

Blinds?
    How many get paid?
    How much of the €25 buy ins and €10 rebuys DOESNT go into the pool?

I'm gonna write up rules for announcing these type of things.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    I'm also not afraid to call a spade a spade

Would that be the Queen of Spades or the 3 of Spades Tom?

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Would that be the Queen of Spades or the 3 of Spades Tom?

Second last table last night, blinds at 700-1000-1000, UTG goes all in for 6500, next player reraises all-in for about 17K everyone else folds

UTG turns over A6o
    Other player turns over Q3c

Flop is 2 2 7
    Turn is 3
    River is 10

Q3c takes the pot. Joe O'Neill was on the table but not in the hand and for about 10 minutes kept going on about it!

Dream flop for you Iago!

yeah unfortunately I only had AA preflop so I threw away that muck :D

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    Blinds?
    How many get paid?

I'm gonna write up rules for announcing these type of things.

DeV.

Blinds start at 25/50.Blinds go up every fifteen minutes. Top ten get paid. Rebuys stop at around 300/600 level.All deductions(renting of hall, catering) announced at break.

Originally Posted by EARMUFFS
    How did you get on in the last tournament?

Finished poorly last time out, out around 20th. Had top two pair after flop went all in to be taken out by filled straight on the river.
    The time before that i was 9th beaten by 77 v AdKd. Flop came two diamonds but didnt hit anything on the turn or river.
    Originally Posted by DeVore
    Blinds?
    How many get paid?

Sorry DeV, i don't know, i am not organising it nor am i promoting it. Just posting my thoughts. It seems to be well run IMHO.

RustySpoon wrote:
    Finished poorly last time out, out around 20th. Had top two pair after flop went all in to be taken out by filled straight on the river.
    The time before that i was 9th beaten by 77 v AdKd. Flop came two diamonds but didnt hit anything on the turn or river.

Do you know the guy who won it? He is from Portlaoise or works in Portlaoise i believe.

EARMUFFS, I'm not asking for a breakdown just a figure that will be subtracted from whatever prizepool you get. Surely you know those costs already?

Sorry to be a pain about it but after Mayo, I'm not going to be hoodwinked again. Preferably noone should be. I just want to know BEFORE I hand over cash I'll never see again, what I'm playing for. I mean, if I'm not happy at the break, are you going to give me my money back? Refund my travel costs down there? Cover my accomodation?

I'll guess, no. So I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I travel. Seems fair enough to me...

DeV.

EARMUFFS wrote:
    Do you know the guy who won it? He is from Portlaoise or works in Portlaoise i believe.
    No don't know who won it, i was long gone at that stage. It wasn't me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Red 1.

DeVore wrote:
    EARMUFFS, I'm not asking for a breakdown just a figure that will be subtracted from whatever prizepool you get. Surely you know those costs already?

Sorry to be a pain about it but after Mayo, I'm not going to be hoodwinked again. Preferably noone should be. I just want to know BEFORE I hand over cash I'll never see again, what I'm playing for. I mean, if I'm not happy at the break, are you going to give me my money back? Refund my travel costs down there? Cover my accomodation?

I'll guess, no. So I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I travel. Seems fair enough to me...

DeV.
    Hi Dev.. I'm one of the organizers of the Kildare Tny. In answer to your queary about the prize pool...its always at least 80% of the total take...We had 65 players for the Jan. tny. ..after 20% for expences (hire of hall, catering, etc.) and €300 taken out for the Vegas Promotion..the prize pool was €2640..Winner=€1000....down to 10th place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This one is abit to short notice for me but keep us up to date on the next one...I may be able to bring 5/6 with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

EARMUFFS wrote:
    This Friday (11th February) there is a Texas Hold'Em tournament in the CYMS Hall in Kildare Town,Co.Kildare Reg 7.30 Start time 8.00. €25 entry fee with €10 rebuys for the first hour and a half. Usually 60/80 players. Last months winner received 1000 euros. Any one looking for any further info just ask.
    PS
    In conjunction with these monthly tournaments there is a Grand Final Event taking place in September. To qualify for a place in the Grand Final you have to finish in the top 5 in any of the monthly tournaments.The winner of this event receives a trip for 2 to Las Vegas (prize includes flights,hotel and cash).
    Any questions just ask!

whereabouts in the town is the hall EARMUFFS?

and i'm ok for tickets to vegas, the evil one has just booked 10 days and i'll be taking in the first week of the WSOP :D:D:D

hmmmmm actually the cash may get me an entry into one of the events :D:D:D

evillive wrote:
    whereabouts in the town is the hall EARMUFFS?

and i'm ok for tickets to vegas, the evil one has just booked 10 days and i'll be taking in the first week of the WSOP :D:D:D

hmmmmm actually the cash may get me an entry into one of the events :D:D:D

The CYMS Hall is directly accross from the Parish Church which is on the Athy Road out of the Town. If you are coming from Dublin take the slip road off the motorway and continue into the town. When you reach the town centre traffic lights take a right and its about 200 yards down this road on your right.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

I am not one of the organisers myself so I cannot say how much is towards the prize fund. It is in the region of 300-400 I think that goes to the hall each month, and almost everything else goes to the prize fund. They said the last night that around 400 each month would go towards the grand final prize pool, but that figure will change depending on the exchange rate and the turn out each month. I will try to get more detailed breakdown for you.

It's a fair enough tournament for the punters, the idea is to get as many people playing from around as possible, the standard is mixed enough (much better after the rebuys finish) but getting better each week.

Advertisement