Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Uninstalling wXP Pro and installing w98...

• 09-02-2005 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Dont ask why you would want to do this, but i have been asked to do so by a friend so im happy to oblige. The thing is that im not entirely sure how to go about it. Its a Gateway Desktop PC running wXP Pro at teh moment. The PC is running seriously bad because of all the trash on it so i want to uninstall wXP Pro, format the hard disk and start from scratch with a fresh copy of w98...

Is it done using a w98 boot disk or do ya need to use the Gateway CDs that came originally with the PC etc... I know that with uninstalling and formatting varios OS's and drives there are different methods depending on the OS etc... so i just thought id save myself a bit of time by asking here coz there seems to be a few smart heads knockin about :p

Hope ye can help, any comments very welcome...

Head

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just a regular format and fresh install of win98 should do the job, making sure to use fat32 for your file system as 98 can't read ntfs (afaik).

However those gateway disks are most likely recovery disks, including drivers etc, they'll be usless on 98. You'll have to get all new drivers for your hardware.

Personnally i'd probably download drivers for all your hardware, before formatting, put them on a disk or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

azezil wrote:
    Personnally i'd probably download drivers for all your hardware, before formatting, put them on a disk or something
    Yes definitly need the drivers for your hardware, the computer may have come with some sort of CD that contains these as my DELL one did. Just make sure you get the drivers in advance.

Other than that good luck...you do know Windows98 is *very* unstable dont ya, make sure its WIN98SE too.

Advertisement