Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Foundation

Options
  • 09-02-2005 7:28pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

looking into building an ext onto the back of house and with a bit of investigation I have noticed that my neighbours ext foundation is over the boundary line and in my land --as such.

Q - can I attach/cut away at there foundations so as mine is not too-far away from the boundary wall.

The problem is they shouldn't have put there foundation in on my property at all - but that was before I owned it.

If I want to build an ext also ---and put down a 3foot foundation it will be 1 foot away from where it should be..the boundary wall..

any ideas ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There are a lot of extensions built that way, the foundation is supposed to be three times the width of the block work, with the wall in the centre.

Sometimes people built on the party line causing the foundation to extend into the neighbours property, if the extension is pre building regs the wall should be a solid block to allow you to use it as your inside wall.

If it's not they didn't have Building Bye Law Approval, the laws were not applied country wide, as far as I recall they were enforced in Dublin city and council area and Cork.

Check it out at your local council office, it would not be a good idea to start breaking chunks out of your neighbours foundation, besides your own foundation would not comply with todays building regs even if you did.

Have a talk with your neighbour they may be expecting you to use their side wall as the boundry anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thx

the wall of the neighbours ext is about 6inchs in from the boundary line.
    And their foundation is about 8inchs on my property.

what can I do when it comes to my foundation - do I have to have it 8inchs back from where it should be.I also noticed that there are re-inforcing bars coming out from their foundation in the earth on my side --so as to attach my foundation to theirs??

if I put a deep foundation beside theirs -connected with the steel bars - can I build on the edge of my foundation - so as not to lose any space ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think it might be a good idea to talk to your neighbour, if you dig down below their foundation allowing your foundation to support both walls it could help you gain as much space as possible.

The fact that the foundation was reinforced suggests it was a good job, so long as you underpin their foundation you should be able to build on it.

You will still have to talk with your neighbour because you will not be able to plaster the wall so you will have to join on to their roof possibly with a capping, the front of your extension must remain ventilated to allow any moisture to dry out.

Advertisement