Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Portugal *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Morrison impressed me again, he won so many balls that he had no right to and held up the ball very well. Fingers crossed he'll continue his recent good international form over the next few games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Afaik Pats get 400 tickets for El games and all are taken ,long time ago when it was done right , EL and junior teams got nearly all the tickets (anyone who played schoolboy will remember cheap ireland games)

Now theres a demand and the FAI all but cut the junior tickets and EL tickets cut in half , should insrease the EL tickets to about 12000 just to the Dublin clubs ( ;) ) would be a nice shot in the ass for home games.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

KdjaC wrote:
    Now theres a demand and the FAI all but cut the junior tickets and EL tickets cut in half , should insrease the EL tickets to about 12000 just to the Dublin clubs ( ;) ) would be a nice shot in the ass for home games.

kdjac

You don't seriously expect the FAI to do something that would actually benefit the Grass roots of the game do you ?

The Muppet wrote:
    You don't seriously expect the FAI to do something that would actually benefit the Grass roots of the game do you ?

Nope not in the slightest, on the brightside Pats giving me 2 tickets for every home game if i want them as i buying 3 season tickets this year, so if anyone needs a ticket let me know few weeks before the games. I never going there again unless its to lose another Cup final.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    Nope not in the slightest, on the brightside Pats giving me 2 tickets for every home game if i want them as i buying 3 season tickets this year, so if anyone needs a ticket let me know few weeks before the games. I never going there again unless its to lose another Cup final.

kdjac
    Are you talking about getting 2 tickets for every Ireland home game?

If so, I'll gladly take the France ones of your hands, for a small fee of course :D
    The Muppet wrote:
    That'll be the day.

The closest the FAI come to doing anything for the grass roots is watering the pitch before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah poor atmosphere last night considering the 44,100. rain i suppose didnt help. standing too in the same spot does your back in, perhaps those factors combined caused that. 2 englishmen in front of me :rolleyes: i dont like to see that, its ridiculous they can get tickets when there are irish who'd have brought themsleves and their voice along. they wanted to know why everyone was booing ronaldo, clueless obviously about football.

evening herald today reports of 'crushes' on the south terrace. i was there and actually was amazed the amount of room i had compared to previous matches. didnt notice any major congestion. disgrace though the way stewards open and close sections as they please, causing major hassle in some areas when others are empty.

again last night was another example of why we need a new stadium. over 44,000 at a friendly when its raining. had we an all-seater, all-covered stadium ive no doubt we'd have had a better atmosphere. as i said earlier, the old back was in agony after the best part of 2hrs standing in the same spot, im sure others will agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

An all seater will do the atmosphere no favours at all.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

syke wrote:
    I don't dispute that, but quite frankly, using TV3 commentary as something to balance your argument is hilarious.
    No, I am just using that as an example of someone who shares my thoughts on that "tackle".

An all seater will do the atmosphere no favours at all.

Cracking atmos when pats played Longford in the FAI cup final , only 15000 at the game all seated , makes no differnece seated or not its who is in the seats.

If so, I'll gladly take the France ones of your hands, for a small fee of course

Do you not get them with your Shels season ticket? Altho i doubt we get many for that.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

KdjaC wrote:
    Cracking atmos when pats played Longford in the FAI cup final , only 15000 at the game all seated , makes no differnece seated or not its who is in the seats.

Yep that normally happens at a small ground. Try 60,000 all seater and the atmosphere will not be as good compared to 60,000 in a combination of seating/standing. It has a lot to do with the dispersal of people who want to sing or chant mixed with the folk who want to sit on their hands and mouths during the game.

It is for this very reason that Celtic are looking for season ticket seat relocations to create a 'singing' section.

The final was in lansdowne we had west stand they had east, about 8 or each and it was damn noisy, more to so towards the east for the 2nd half :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    2 englishmen in front of me :rolleyes: i dont like to see that, its ridiculous they can get tickets when there are irish who'd have brought themsleves and their voice along. they wanted to know why everyone was booing ronaldo, clueless obviously about football.
    What? How do you know they were English? Did you see their passports and birth certs? Or was it just the English accent? Ever hear the likes of Finnan talk? He doesnt sound like he is from Limerick.

And what the problem with English people attending an Irish match? Dont tell me if you were in a foreign country and there was an international on that you got tickets for that you wouldnt go. There was loads of tickets still knocking around for people that wanted them badly enough. Thats the problem, the Irish public dont want them badly enough, and Irish bring themselves without their voice anyway.

And what makes them clueless for not knowing why Ronaldo was being booed? Why was he being booed?

Why was he being booed?
    Because he plays for Manchester United, same as John O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

KdjaC wrote:
    Do you not get them with your Shels season ticket? Altho i doubt we get many for that.

No you have to apply for tickets, you could put your name down for any world cup qualifyer match for this tournament, nearly every section available, I put my name down for all of them.

The problem with the atmosphere is simple, the people in the stadium. Despite that the FAI think you don't 'create' atmosphere espically not with wasters like the Carslberg band, it's all about the people in the ground. Atmosphere is spontanous, you don't hand out ****ing song sheets on green cards ffs!

They need to do what Shels did, reserve a section in the lower tier of one of the stands (best place for noise retention) purely for people who want to go and stand and sing, let all the big flags, flares and that in with them and just let them at it. I think Longford do the same for their annual cup final visit. The EL section was decent but the noise is lost in the open terraceing. The atmosphere for the Depor game was, by far, the best I've ever heard in Lansedown. Given that over half the crowd weren't even Shels fans that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

seansouth wrote:
    Because he plays for Manchester United, same as John O'Shea.

From what I seen the booing only started after he dived and him and Duff had there first little scrap! maybe wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Aye, Ronaldo was booed because he actually did dive early on in the match, wasn't booed before that. That is what the whole Duff-Ronaldo thing started over. Duff signalled that Ronaldo dived (a bit ironic coming from Duff) and Ronaldo then lashed out at Duff. Duff obviously wanted revenge, I doubt he'd clip someone's heals for no reason. I was glad to see more people clap Ronaldo then boo him when he came off though as Sky (and a lot of people on here) seemed to think he was booed for other reasons. Plus the fact that Ronaldo gave his complementary tickets to a few kids and was supposedly very kind to the kids at the open training session.

On the club v country thing. Supporting a foreign club ( i have to get that foreign bit in as its not like coming from Manchester, going to every home game and putting thousands of pounds into the club and the City of Manchester being represented) over your country is like betraying your family imo. People say why do we have to support Ireland, thats the only answer I can give tbh. BTW, no offence to United fans but why is it that the 4 or 5 people that would put their club loyalties ahead of their countries all Man U fans? :)

Kdjac - I'd the take tickets for all qualifiers off your hands at face value. :)

edit - Seansouth, of course there would be nothing wrong with wearing a Yeovil jersey to an Ireland match. Better than a black jumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because, if I supported any other club, I'd put them before country any day.
    This is football, not the army, its about which brings you more happiness.
    I love Utd, the way they play, the drive.
    Ireland, I'll watch them, support them over any other country, but when it comes to it, if Keano gets injured I don't go, uhoh for Ireland, I got uhoh for Utd.

PHB wrote:
    This is football, not the army, its about which brings you more happiness.

I'm just curious, and not having a go or trying the I'm a better fan than you kind of crap, but honestly, if Man U did a Leeds or worse and as a result ended up in the middle of the lower reaches of the football league, would they still bring you the same amount of happiness and would you still support them as strongly as you do now?

I honestly can't see how people from here can really support foreign teams, again not having a go but, I just don't get it. How can you feel connected to a team from a foreign place who you've no real connection to and, I'm just presumeing here so I could be wrong, a team you probably don't get to see live very often. I mean, but for the grace of god Man U could never have appointed Busby and never grown beyond mediocrity and Man City could be the big team in England, could you honestly say you wouldn't have grown up a City fan and presumebly with that hating Man U as a result? Again I'm just curious, I simply don't 'get' how anyone can feel that strong a connection with a foreign side.

Personally, United are the first team I've ever seen play live apart from Ireland on the telly. I have an uncle over there and he brought me to a game back in the 92/93 season and I've followed them ever since.

Besides I don't really have a local team. The closest teams to me are Dundalk, Monaghan Utd, Drogheda Utd and Longford. And I wouldn't have any more of a connection with them than I would with Man Utd. Maybe if Cavan had a team I would have probably supported them, but I'm a United fan so... *shrugs*

Slash/ED wrote:
    I'm just curious <snip> with a foreign side.
    I'll bite
    Slash/ED wrote:
    if Man U did a Leeds or worse and as a result ended up in the middle of the lower reaches of the football league,would they still bring you the same amount of happiness and would you still support them as strongly as you do now?
    They were relegated in the 70's and still filled OT at the time, so, while they have many "prawn sandwichers" there is still a significant following who would go to games, in fact, it might it easier for people to go, as the demand for tickets may not be quite as high. Pure speculation on my part though.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I mean, but for the grace of god Man U could never have appointed Busby and never grown beyond mediocrity and Man City could be the big team in England, could you honestly say you wouldn't have grown up a City fan and presumebly with that hating Man U as a result?
    Fair point. But I have to say, apart from the obvious hanger-ons, who most people on here have no time for anyway, then the majority support whatever team they do in England as some family tradition, maybe their father supports them, maybe a cousin or uncle perhaps, it goes back a while in most cases. I know I was brought up in a Liverpool household however, and began supporting United as a nipper, because my friend in school did. No other reason. Sure, it could just as easily been Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, whoever, but it was United.

Can I say something to you? I know you are a Shels fan, and I presume you have your reasons. Perhaps you are from the locale that Shels are in? In that case, you could just as easily have grown up in (God Forbid :D ) Inchicore and been a Pat's fan?

I support Shels because I live close to Tolka, and started heading to a few games with my brother, who is infiitely a bigger fan of them than I am, and I make no bones about that, but over the last couple of years, I have grown into somewhat of a decent fan of them myself, so much so that I'd rather head to Tolka on a cold friday night in March than sit in a pub if United were on Sky that same night. Football Clubs grow on people, it's what makes the game so special.

I know this doesn't wholly address the point you have made, but it goes some way to doing so.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    I'll bite

They were relegated in the 70's and still filled OT at the time, so, while they have many "prawn sandwichers" there is still a significant following who would go to games, in fact, it might it easier for people to go, as the demand for tickets may not be quite as high. Pure speculation on my part though.

Undoubtabley, Man U have a massive support base even in Manchester alone, something they don't get credit for, I was just asking him weather he still would as I found the wording of what he said a bit strange.

Fair point. But I have to say, apart from the obvious hanger-ons, who most people on here have no time for anyway, then the majority support whatever team they do in England as some family tradition, maybe their father supports them, maybe a cousin or uncle perhaps, it goes back a while in most cases. I know I was brought up in a Liverpool household however, and began supporting United as a nipper, because my friend in school did. No other reason. Sure, it could just as easily been Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, whoever, but it was United.

Yeah I understand what you mean and it's a fair point, when I was young I even cosnidered myself a United fan simply because everybody else did, this was before I'd even seen them play. I soon grew out of it :p but yeah I see what you mean, I just don't see how there can be that big a connection with the team. I mean you can follow them, look out for their results, but surely to have that connection that would make you support them over your own country you'd need more? The thing I can't see is how you can really feel that connection to a team you rarely see live and live in another country too.
    Can I say something to you? I know you are a Shels fan, and I presume you have your reasons. Perhaps you are from the locale that Shels are in? In that case, you could just as easily have grown up in (God Forbid :D ) Inchicore and been a Pat's fan?

Heaven forbid! :D No, Shels was in my family and as it happens I grew up relatively close to Tolka Park anyway. I see your point though, but if I did grow up in Inchicore than I probably would be a Pats fan, but they'd still be my team. I just can't see how that's possible supporting a foreign team, I just think you'd get far less out of it, you mightn't even realise it.
    I support Shels because I live close to Tolka, and started heading to a few games with my brother, who is infiitely a bigger fan of them than I am, and I make no bones about that, but over the last couple of years, I have grown into somewhat of a decent fan of them myself, so muych so that I'd rather head to Tolka on a cold friday night in March than sit in a pub if United were in Sky that same night. Football Clubs grow on people, it's what makes the game so special.

I know this doesn't wholly address the point you have made, but it goes some way to doing so.

But that's sort of what I mean, since going to Shels you'd now watch them over watching Man U, despite the fact you've only been going a couple of years and was a Man U fan all your life before that. I just think you get far more out of it (Again I'm not trying to pull the old EL stuff about having to support your local team and all that, it's your choice at the end of the day). I just can't understand how anyone could possibley feel a bigger connection to a foreign team than they do to their own national team.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I just think you'd get far less out of it, you mightn't even realise it.
    True, I never realised before I really started getting in to Shels exactly what I was missing out on. It is why I try to encourage as many people as posible to go to support the local eL team. It means so much more, especially when you can actually talk to the players, and they will come and celebrate with the fans. Just to illustrate this point, after Shels won the league last year, I was back in the bar in Tolka for the celebrations, and Jason Byrne stood with his arm around me singing the "Brian Kerr" song. I doubt many people can say they stood shoulder to shoulder with Eric Cantona / Steven Gerard / A.N. Other Player from "foreign" League singing terrace chants. That is the difference.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I just can't understand how anyone could possibley feel a bigger connection to a foreign team than they do to their own national team.
    If the National Media took more of an interest in domestic football then perhaps people would make more of an effort.

Many people feel they "know" the players like Beckham, Rooney, Gerard, Henry simply because they get so much coverage in the papers here, and on RTE / TV3. They feel they have a "connection" with these players too.

seansouth wrote:
    I was back in the bar in Tolka for the celebrations, and Jason Byrne stood with his arm around me singing the "Brian Kerr" song. I doubt many people can say they stood shoulder to shoulder with Eric Cantona / Steven Gerard / A.N. Other Player from "foreign" League singing terrace chants. That is the difference.

Exactly, though hearing Gerrard singing a version of said song about SGE would be priceless :D

I agree with all that you said there too
    If the National Media took more of an interest in domestic football then perhaps people would make more of an effort.

Many people feel they "know" the players like Beckham, Rooney, Gerard, Henry simply because they get so much coverage in the papers here, and on RTE / TV3. They feel they have a "connection" with these players too.

Yeah I see what you mean and it's a valid point. As it happens, I think many people now more or less know the Shels players, at least to some extent, as a result of last season whereas before they wouldn't have had at all. It was funny sitting in a train station before the Lille game on my way to Lansedown listening to two people who obviously weren't Shels fans talking about Fenlons tactics for the upcoming match, it was something I never thought I'd hear. It's a start I suppose, RTEs ratings for the EL were superb last season, hence the sudden upsurge in coverage, so hopefully next season will see more of the same.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I just think you get far more out of it (Again I'm not trying to pull the old EL stuff about having to support your local team and all that, it's your choice at the end of the day). I just can't understand how anyone could possibley feel a bigger connection to a foreign team than they do to their own national team.
    What happens if you do not have a "local" team?

I go over to see Man Utd around 8 times a season and I see them more than I do Ireland. I support them over Ireland because they are my team. Simple as.

90% of Irish people support an English team because they were succesful at one point (whether their support was carried down through the family or not). 90% of English people support the team they do because of location (plus a certain amount of success). Obviously not exact figures. :) The 3 teams I support currently, I can safely say I almost certainly wouldn't be supporting them if I wasn't Irish.

PORNAPSTER wrote:

I go over to see Man Utd around 8 times a season and I see them more than I do Ireland. I support them over Ireland because they are my team. Simple as.
    I don't believe that. Ireland are your team, Man U are not.

PORNAPSTER wrote:

Yeah I see what you mean about not having a local team. Again, I'm not having a go at people for supporting foreign teams, I just don't think they can really be your teams. Maybe I'm wrong, you'd certinaly say so, just the way I see it. I don't think I could possibley have the same connection to a foriegn team as I do to Shels or even the Irish international team even if I supported them all my lfie and went over to see them the odd time, but that's just me.

PORNAPSTER wrote:

Simple.....move
    :D:D
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    I go over to see Man Utd around 8 times a season and I see them more than I do Ireland.
    You are an exception then. And fair play to you for going over.
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    I support them over Ireland because they are my team. Simple as.
    I'm not having a go at you about this, I feel the same.

I dont really hate Man City, I despise Leeds, hope they go to the conference.
    I've followed em since I saw Giggs play against I think it might have been Shels when I was a kid.
    Would I follow them as much? I'd imagine I would, I couldn't say just like nobody else could.
    I am an avid Brighton and Hove aliian fan cause they were my team I used to pick to bring up from the conference in all my football games.
    I mean, but for the grace of god Man U could never have appointed Busby and never grown beyond mediocrity and Man City could be the big team in England, could you honestly say you wouldn't have grown up a City fan and presumebly with that hating Man U as a result?

Nope, I couldn't, what does that mean though?

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't believe that. Ireland are your team, Man U are not.
    And who are you to say that? Why should Ireland be my main team? Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland but I am a Man Utd fan at the end of the day and nothing is going to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

seansouth wrote:

I support Shels because I live close to Tolka, and started heading to a few games with my brother, who is infiitely a bigger fan of them than I am, and I make no bones about that, but over the last couple of years, I have grown into somewhat of a decent fan of them myself

you support shels since they play near you in tolka

who did you support before they moved? bohs

d22ontour wrote:
    you support shels since they play near you in tolka

who did you support before they moved? bohs
    That is a ridiculous question.

If you had read my entire post, you will have seen that I am not a lifelong Shels fan, nor do I claim to be.

Also, in the piece you bothered to quote, you will notice that another reason I started supporting Shels is because I went with my brother.

PHB wrote:
    I dont really hate Man City, I despise Leeds, hope they go to the conference.
    I've followed em since I saw Giggs play against I think it might have been Shels when I was a kid.
    Would I follow them as much? I'd imagine I would, I couldn't say just like nobody else could.
    I am an avid Brighton and Hove aliian fan cause they were my team I used to pick to bring up from the conference in all my football games.

I dunno, I just don't see how you could feel more for them than you do for Ireland, but to each their own I suppose. If that's what you want to do that's fair enough.
    Nope, I couldn't, what does that mean though?

Very little I suppose, just a thought. I think it's weird that the main reason people (not saying you here specifically but generalising) are attracted to a team is success, how they can feel that big a connection to a team who they could easily have not supported had they not been as good as they were. I don't see how the success of that team in the future can mean as much to the people who follow them, if that makes sense.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Very little I suppose, just a thought. I think it's weird that the main reason people (not saying you here specifically but generalising) are attracted to a team is success, how they can feel that big a connection to a team who they could easily have not supported had they not been as good as they were. I don't see how the success of that team in the future can mean as much to the people who follow them, if that makes sense.
    Although there are alot of supporters that do this. I have to say alot of the people in Ireland probably have their support handed down from their fathers or uncles or whatever. And maybe their support came from the number of Ireland players in squads like United, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal etc. Which I'd say is the case alot of the time rather than glory hunting.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    And who are you to say that? Why should Ireland be my main team? Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland but I am a Man Utd fan at the end of the day and nothing is going to change that.
    I'm not taking guess at it, its a fact. Ireland are representing Ireland, the Irish people, you. They are your (aswell as 4 million others) team.

Uh huh... And Manchester United are representing me, a Manchester United supporter. They are my team, along with god knows how many million Man Utd fans.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Although there are alot of supporters that do this. I have to say alot of the people in Ireland probably have their support handed down from their fathers or uncles or whatever.
    ....and to follow on from that, their mates even.

It is no co-incidence that hardly any Irish people support the likes of Yeovil Town, WBA. There is no "tradition" of supporting these teams in Ireland. The tradition of supporting the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United goes back at least two generations. My fathers father was an avid United supporter back when he was a young man.
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    And maybe their support came from the number of Ireland players in squads like United, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal etc. Which I'd say is the case alot of the time rather than glory hunting.
    Was the case for my grandad alright.

You don't hear of many people just plucking teams out of the air to support, it is all for a reason. For example, one of my mates who had no interest in football whatsoever up until a few years ago, but then started watching it with me, he would consider himself a United fan, of sorts. Simply because I am. He is constantly asking questions about them, even if there is no match on, we'd sit in the pub, and sometimes I'd be sick of him asking the questions.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Uh huh... And Manchester United are representing me, a Manchester United supporter. They are my team, along with god knows how many million Man Utd fans.
    I've decided just there that I'm going to support Nancy. Yay, they're winning 2-0 and they're representing me. I'm off to the pub to celebrate. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I've decided just there that I'm going to support Nancy. Yay, they're winning 2-0 and they're representing me. I'm off to the pub to celebrate. :)
    :rolleyes:

I didn't just "decide" to support Man Utd.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Glory Hunter :D

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    :rolleyes:

I didn't just "decide" to support Man Utd.
    You didn't get my point. You say Man U are representing you because you support them. Its fairly easy to get represented by one of the biggest teams in the world isn't it? A day old Irish baby is being represented by the Irish football team whether they like it or not.

I love these little discussions, always fun.
    Just wish someone whould have the balls to say this :

i Support Utd , Pool , Arse etc: COS THEY WINNING STUFF WHEN IT CAME TO TEAM PICKING BAH WAH WAH

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    You didn't get my point. You say Man U are representing you because you support them. Its fairly easy to get represented by one of the biggest teams in the world isn't it?

A day old Irish baby is being represented by the Irish football team whether they like it or not.
    Yes they are representing me because I am supporting them. Of course it is easy to say one of the biggest clubs in the world is representing you. I feel that they are representing me, a Man Utd fan since I was born and every other United fan in the same situation.

The arguement is who I support more, Man Utd or Ireland. I support Man Utd more and I have the club in my heart since I was born because my family were all United fans and Man Utd was the first team I've seen live. I feel that Man Utd are representing me and my family along with millions of others, no matter what you think.

I didn't say that Ireland wasn't representing me.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I honestly can't see how people from here can really support foreign teams, again not having a go but, I just don't get it. How can you feel connected to a team from a foreign place who you've no real connection to and,

Sorry if someone else has made this point. I have not read all the replies,

What do you mean a team we are not connected to. As you will see in another thread here many of the Man U fans on here have invested their cash in buying shares in the club. We own a little piece of the club we support so we are very connected to it.

How can anyone support the body that Governs our national team after the way they have treated the Irish Fans and mismanaged the Players over the years ? They are a laughing stock and I feel absolutely no connection to them whatsoevere . I do feel a connection to the players and team when it takes to the field but unfortunatly the FAI are past of the deal of supporting the national team and I will not support them until they put their house in order .

So if Glazer takes over and is as bad as predicted you'll stop supporting Man U? Not supporting Ireland because of the FAI seems a little strange to me.

And you're missing my point, buying shares has nothing to do with what I was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if i marry an englishwoman from manchester instead of an irishwoman does that mean i prefer english women over irish? does that make me less irish or abnormal? no it doesnt, it just means i love her more than anyone.

so what if someone supports club over country big swing. everyone is different. the shambles that is the fai and 3rd world stadium which we rent, dont even own! doesnt exactly draw people towards irish football. especially if you consider all the royalty/comfort surrounding the likes of utd, liverpool etc..

for me, ireland is important, yes i'd put it above all else in football but really its only about pride, wanting to to keep ireland irish and unique. theres only the euro's and world cup to play for, being spaced out over 4 years, it does make it hard to rekindle the passion you have for ireland after supporting club week in week out.

work is sort of like 'club' if you like, sunday mass - 'country'.

The Muppet wrote:
    How can anyone support the body that Governs our national team after the way they have treated the Irish Fans and mismanaged the Players over the years ? They are a laughing stock and I feel absolutely no connection to them whatsoevere . I do feel a connection to the players and team when it takes to the field but unfortunatly the FAI are past of the deal of supporting the national team and I will not support them until they put their house in order .
    Would you support United if Malcolm Galzier bought the club and wasn't been running it correctly? :);)

edit - i missed Slash/Ed's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i dont mid if someone supporters a club over country, but when people come on a say they support their team because its run properly, and they have there own stadium and play great football is a bad sign.

You sound like the type of "supporter" who would ditch there team if they found themselves in a leeds still situation.

Sounds to me like your talking bull****.
    The reason I love United is because of the type of football they play, total and utter commitment. Thats the reason I feel in love with them, however it doesn't mean that nessacarily if they stopped playing football like that I'd stop supporting them.
    But i'm sure you'll find another way to put peeople down :)

Got a question for you, why do you support Ireland? Cause its where your from? Sounds to me like the type of supporter who'd change teams if they moved house. Disgraceful

eirebhoy wrote:
    Would you support United if Malcolm Galzier bought the club and wasn't been running it correctly? :);)

edit - i missed Slash/Ed's post.

Thats a hypothetical situation so I don't know what I would do but if he turned out to be as incompetent as the FAI I would be far from happy. The FAI dont give a single thought for the Fans as has been all too evident by their actions. I dont know how anyone can support them.

Its a bit rich to be slating fans of English clubs when Irish TV dioesn't even have the rights to show our home matches live Because the FAI sold the rights to a British Television company.

Wake up lads and smell the coffee. If more people made it abundantly clear to the FAI that we are not prepared to put up with their incompetance any longer the situation may improve but as long AS they can still afford their first class lifestyle courtesy of football fans it will never change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement