Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Portugal *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Sounds to me like your talking bull****.
    The reason I love United is because of the type of football they play, total and utter commitment. Thats the reason I feel in love with them, however it doesn't mean that nessacarily if they stopped playing football like that I'd stop supporting them.
    But i'm sure you'll find another way to put peeople down :)

Got a question for you, why do you support Ireland? Cause its where your from? Sounds to me like the type of supporter who'd change teams if they moved house. Disgraceful

i'm talking bull****?

pot.kettle.black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its a bit tough to support your team less because of the board running it. Every team I support have terrible backroom teams, they must follow me around. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its a bit tough to support your team less because of the board running it. Every team I support have terrible backroom teams, they must follow me around. :)

Tough or not thats the reality of the situation. In the past I would never have missed an Ireland Game the other evening I only watched about 20 minutes of the game as I wasn't really interested. That's honestly how I feel about it and the reason for that is the way things have benn managed in the past (I don't mean Saipan) I would be more annoyed about them selling the rights to see "our team" to SKY.

Maybe in the future my interest in the Irish team will be restored but as long as the current incompetant bickering suits are in charge I very much doubt it.

I was happy to see them sell the rights to Sky. Can't stand listening to analysis from Dunphy and co when you watch interviews, etc on Sky. Anyway, thats all sorted now (except for friendlies).

eirebhoy wrote:
    I was happy to see them sell the rights to Sky. Can't stand listening to analysis from Dunphy and co when you watch interviews, etc on Sky. Anyway, thats all sorted now (except for friendlies).

I don't know how you can say that, remember it's supposed to be our team not
    the FAI's they had no moral right to sell it and deprive Irish citizens the right to see their national teams home games live free of charge.

Its not sorted now . Because of govermental intervention for important games , they can be seen but as you say friendlies are still unavailable. If its our team as you have said we should have access to it without having to pay Rupert Murdoch for the "privilage*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    Got a question for you, why do you support Ireland? Cause its where your from? Sounds to me like the type of supporter who'd change teams if they moved house. Disgraceful

But if you moved house , you'd still be from the place you were before , people support Ireland because of they are either from here , are Irish or have Irish relatives(I mean parents , not the yank style , my 12th cousin once owned a dog , he ****ted , in a persons garden , who had been talking to a priest at the time and the priest had a neighbour who once visted scotland and sure the two countries are practically beside each other , sort of relative) .

So its the same as supporting a club team for location . If someone was born in Liverpool and supported Everton , would they change club if they moved to London ?........no because its where their from......they are scouse not a cockney and would have no reason to change to a London team .

Whereas someone who doesn't support a team for the location facter , is more likely to feel less par of the club/community and is more likely to change club if they moved .

All I have left to say is , I love my country and if Ireland played Newcastle...............**** the toon .

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't know how you can say that, remember it's supposed to be our team not
    the FAI's they had no moral right to sell it and deprive Irish citizens the right to see their national teams home games live free of charge.

Its not sorted now . Because of govermental intervention for important games , they can be seen but as you say friendlies are still unavailable. If its our team as you have said we should have access to it without having to pay Rupert Murdoch for the "privilage*.

Im ****ing fed up with people complaing about the SKY deal , Sky and TV3 together offered rougly 4 and a half times what RTÉ were offering , the FAI would have been willing to give the deal to RTÉ if they upped their deal to have of Sky's and agreed to show a decent amount of Eircom League , RTÉ didn't want to show any Eircom League so the bid of the highest bidder(by a ****ing long way) was excepted .

I would much rather even a small percentage of the extra money go to grass roots(which it did) than having armchair fans happy .

You only watched 20 minutes of the game anyway , so why do you ****ing care .

****ing unpatriotic................[finnishes posts before he says something to get banned]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There you said, its about being part of a community.
    I don't feel part of the Irish footballing community.
    I feel part of the Man Utd footballing community.
    Just because I wasn't born there doesn't change a thing.

You seem to think location is all that matters, and its not, its the fact that I've been brought up being a part of Man Utd, never so much as part of Ireland.
    Because you've been brought up as part of the Ireland community, means you support Ireland to the fullest, not because of your location, althought it might have been a reason why you started supporting them, it isn't the reason you support them now, its because you feel like your and Irish football supporter, and thats that.

I'm a utd supporter, and always will be, and while I like the irish football team, if you gave me the choice of even Ireland winning the world cup, and even united winning the premiership, not even the CL, I'd pick the latter in a second

----

p.s. FAI should have tried to get more money from Sky, and told RTE to **** right off

actually ive never been brought up as being par of the Irish football community , or brought up being proud of being Irish (for some reasons those things just grew on me) .

Im a little younger than most here so my first memory of Ireland is qualifying for the 98 World Cup , Ireland 4-2 Iceland , Roy Keane grabbed a brace .

Thats when I fell in love with the Irish football team . Watching that match had been the greatest feeling of my life to that point .

and I agree with your last bit , I think the FAI could have got more out of Sky , if they made them think that the RTÉ bid was a similar one , and that a higher bid could tip the balance .

Big Ears wrote:
    ****ing unpatriotic................[finnishes posts before he says something to get banned]

Thats a step too far Big Ears. Don't judge my patrioism on the football team I choose to support. You should retract that comment.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Thats a step too far Big Ears. Don't judge my patrioism on the football team I choose to support. You should retract that comment.

fair enough , ****ing un..............oh , right ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i think the fact the fai and rte are irish sums it all up really. 2 great examples of how ireland is so far behind everyone else.

and still theres clowns out there that accept these rubbish organisations. dont forget ireland is one of the richest countries in the world, we have no excuses for (a) not having a proper stadium and (b) not keeping irish matches in ireland.

if the fai had any sort of decent management, we would have our own stadium at this stage and not be renting a flat from a friend. if rte had cop on, theyd buy ALL irish matches. for gods sake the government own them, it's their responsibility to equal anyone else's bid. a government that 'cant afford' to build a stadium yet can afford 3/4m on a big useless pole in the middle of dublin.

nobody cares about irish soccer in this country, it's all gaa anti-english stuff that gets the funding. are the fai the gaa in disguise????

actually the majority oh money (yes majority as in more than 50%) goes on ****ing equestrian and horse riding **** . Why the **** does it ? .

[storms off in rage]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The Muppet wrote:

I think he was spot on. Its pretty obvious in my eyes.

syke wrote:

Should I care about what you think Mr. Troll.?

smemon wrote:
    i think the fact the fai and rte are irish sums it all up really. 2 great examples of how ireland is so far behind everyone else.

and still theres clowns out there that accept these rubbish organisations. dont forget ireland is one of the richest countries in the world, we have no excuses for (a) not having a proper stadium and (b) not keeping irish matches in ireland.

if the fai had any sort of decent management, we would have our own stadium at this stage and not be renting a flat from a friend. if rte had cop on, theyd buy ALL irish matches. for gods sake the government own them, it's their responsibility to equal anyone else's bid. a government that 'cant afford' to build a stadium yet can afford 3/4m on a big useless pole in the middle of dublin.

nobody cares about irish soccer in this country, it's all gaa anti-english stuff that gets the funding. are the fai the gaa in disguise????

you do realise a stadium cotst a bit over 3 or 4m euro?

Alot of people knock the FAI for selling the rights so sky for the most money, yet give out how they cant afford a new stadium. If they want a new stadium they need to start making profit, and the best way to do that was to sell to sky.

Its the goverments fault we have no stadium, and not FAIs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

syke wrote:

Next time turn off the sarcasm generator or you may be banned from here ok !

I always felt the problem with the Irish scene is that not enough schools play football. You see it in rugby, and how good were doing there because they all played in the senior cup and have good grass roots.
    If only somehow we could convince every rugby/gaa school to play soccer instead, I feel we'd be a world power capable of winning the world cup :/
    Somebody figure that out :)

PHB wrote:
    If only somehow we could convince every rugby/gaa school to play soccer instead, I feel we'd be a world power capable of winning the world cup :/

Who should be promoting the game at that level ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you do realise a stadium cotst a bit over 3 or 4m euro?

Alot of people knock the FAI for selling the rights so sky for the most money, yet give out how they cant afford a new stadium. If they want a new stadium they need to start making profit, and the best way to do that was to sell to sky.

Its the goverments fault we have no stadium, and not FAIs.

i know its the govnmts fault but the fai should take matters into their own hands and stand up and be counted. it doesnt matter how much a stadium costs, it will pay for itself over time, thats obvious.

on the other hand the govnt as i said spend money on useless things like the spike, ok its only a few million but you know as well as i do their are plenty more examples of 'wasted' money.

if the fai made efforts to break away from everyone else and stop relying on other people they'd have much more respect and admiration than they do atm.

their like a 20-yr old guy that has huge ambitions to go to university, earn millions yet just leeches off parents and expects everything just to fall into place without doing anything. if you want something done, you do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:
    I always felt the problem with the Irish scene is that not enough schools play football. You see it in rugby, and how good were doing there because they all played in the senior cup and have good grass roots.

LMFAO ireland has one of the best schoolboy systems in the world, count the amount of Irish players (proper ones)playing in England who have played Schoolboy level here.

Its quite a lot and nearly the entire irish 1st team has played schoolboy here thats where they were noticed.

I love these threads , Eirebhoy is my hero i have a poster of him on my wall.

kdjac

The Muppet wrote:
    Who should be promoting the game at that level ?

Certainly not FAI job anyway.

Most school with a strong rugby tradition or GAA one will not look to kindly on soccer. they wont be too happy if some of there star players are stop playing rugby/GAA and start playing football so they wont allow it in schools.

KdjaC wrote:
    LMFAO ireland has one of the best schoolboy systems in the world, count the amount of Irish players (proper ones)playing in England who have played Schoolboy level here.

Its quite a lot and nearly the entire irish 1st team has played schoolboy here thats where they were noticed.

kdjac

You must be joking. There are plenty of good coaches in this country giving their time freely to develope the youngster but look at the facilities available to them. The are lucky if they have a steel containere to change in.
    One of the best Schoolboy systems in the world. Don't make me laugh.

Certainly not FAI job anyway.

Most school with a strong rugby tradition or GAA one will not look to kindly on soccer. they wont be too happy if some of there star players are stop playing rugby/GAA and start playing football so they wont allow it in schools.

So the FAI are not reponsible for promoting the game at underage leve.

Who is then and what is the function of the FAI..

smemon wrote:
    i know its the govnmts fault but the fai should take matters into their own hands and stand up and be counted. it doesnt matter how much a stadium costs, it will pay for itself over time, thats obvious.

on the other hand the govnt as i said spend money on useless things like the spike, ok its only a few million but you know as well as i do their are plenty more examples of 'wasted' money.

if the fai made efforts to break away from everyone else and stop relying on other people they'd have much more respect and admiration than they do atm.

their like a 20-yr old guy that has huge ambitions to go to university, earn millions yet just leeches off parents and expects everything just to fall into place without doing anything. if you want something done, you do it yourself.

how excactly can fai take matters into there own hands? as you say, the goverment have wasted alot of money on things, but unfortunatly alot of people will see paying for a whole new stadium as another waste of money when are hospitals are in such a mess.

the example you give of the 20 year old isnt great. How ecactly can the fai raise all the money needed for a new stadium?

heres one, sell the rights to irelands matches to the highest bidder........oh no wait...they got slated for doing that.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    So the FAI are not reponsible for promoting the game at underage leve.

Who is then and what is the function of the FAI..

They are an underage level, but not in schools. The FAI cant walk into a school and tell them to start playing football.

Also, there all plenty of underage leagues going on. Go to any park on a saturday morning and you will see a match in progress.

They are an underage level, but not in schools. The FAI cant walk into a school and tell them to start playing football.

Also, there all plenty of underage leagues going on. Go to any park on a saturday morning and you will see a match in progress.

I asked you a question. You say the FAI are not responsible for promoting the game at School level. Who is responsible then ?

i aswered your question, read the first two lines in my reply you quoted. I probaly should of quoted PHB's post in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Muppet wrote:
    You must be joking. There are plenty of good coaches in this country giving their time freely to develope the youngster but look at the facilities available to them. The are lucky if they have a steel containere to change in.
    One of the best Schoolboy systems in the world. Don't make me laugh.

They have ptiches, coaches nets and balls ? What more do you want? There are schools of excellence, a decent schoolboy and youth setup who "compete" internationaly and are not just there to make up the numbers.

Nearly every school has a soccer team , in Dublin alone between Home Farm Cherry Orchard and Crumlin Utd , you have half the Irish NATIONAL tema 1st team.

Thats a damn good system, I gonna do a FAI coaching course to coach a local team , damned if i want to be paid for it. The System is there and its exceptionaly good, only difference between ours and Englands which you are no doubt comparing too is theirs has "schoolboys" or boys of that age who are coing from professional teams and not local schools teams, theres a massive difference yet we are just as good if not better than them.

Odd that must be getting stripped behind a tree that makes us so good.

kdjac

kdjac you mistunderstand me, i'm not saying that we don't have schoolboys, I'm saying that we need to convicne all teh schools who "waste" their time playing rugby and gAa to play soccer instead

• Advertisement

Its really down to social class. I just couldn't imagine a load of Blackrock heads playing football. In the same way couldn't imagine a load of (current) Christian Brother heads playing rugby. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Didn't we win the U17 league two years ago? And wasn't Alan Lee an ex-Blackrock guy?

The issue with soccer in the school is that it won't get the sort of funding and resources dedicated to it that it deserves until the team is pretty much a cert for making decent progress in all competitions. Even then, it wouldn't generate the same sort of press coverage as the rugby does, so as a business it makes more sense for them to focus on the rugby almost to exclusion.

Doesn't help either that the a lot of the best soccer players are tied up with playing for the rugby teams.

KdjaC wrote:

Odd that must be getting stripped behind a tree that makes us so good.

kdjac

I would not think the lack of proper facilities are a reason for us being so good. It would make you wonder what we could achieve if we had a competent organisation running the show. BTW I know fully qualified coaches who agree with me.

Have a look at the facilities your local GAA club have compared to you local Soccer club. Which one has the best ? If it's the soccer club you are in a minority.

The people coaching and working on the Ground are doing excellent work despite the FAI .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

smemon wrote:
    it doesnt matter how much a stadium costs, it will pay for itself over time, thats obvious.
    It's not obvious, if it was obvious then financing wouldn't be a problem. It is. Arsenal with guaranteed gates every week had huge problems putting the Ashburton Grove financing together. Liverpool and Stanley Park is still up in the air, not just because of planning permission. These are both stadiums that would have a far better guaranteed return on investment.

If an FAI led stadium could get gates of 40,000 of so 30 times a year or more then it might (just might) be a runner. It can't and without that sort of turnover they wouldn't even be able to meet their interest repayments.

There is a good reason why every stadium in the world (to my knowledge :)) not associated with a professional sports club has been built using public money.

The Muppet wrote:
    I would not think the lack of proper facilities are a reason for us being so good. It would make you wonder what we could achieve if we had a competent organisation running the show. BTW I know fully qualified coaches who agree with me.

Have a look at the facilities your local GAA club have compared to you local Soccer club. Which one has the best ? If it's the soccer club you are in a minority.

The people coaching and working on the Ground are doing excellent work despite the FAI .
    In fairness, taxpayers are giving the GAA a lot more money than we are given the FAI.

eirebhoy wrote:
    In fairness, taxpayers are giving the GAA a lot more money than we are given the FAI.

That ties into the point I was making about the FAI being short sighted when selling the rights to SKY. For short term gain they alienated a large chunk of the population and the Government as well . If I remeber correctly RTE were showing LOI matches prior to the sale as well. After the sale none.

The Government decided where our taxes go and as is evident from recent events they have little confidence in the FAI , having to force them to advertise the executives positions . That's not the way to go about getting public money and is just more examples of incompetance..

The Muppet wrote:
    If I remeber correctly RTE were showing LOI matches prior to the sale as well. After the sale none.

They refused to allow showing Eircom League matches as part of their bid , as I said the FAI would have accepted a lower bid from RTÉ if they only agreed to show LOI games .

Big Ears wrote:
    They refused to allow showing Eircom League matches as part of their bid , as I said the FAI would have accepted a lower bid from RTÉ if they only agreed to show LOI games .

I'm sure I remember RTE showing Live LOI matches on friday evenings before that decision. Whether that's true or not IMO it was still extreamly short sighted to alienate The People. The Government and the National Broadcaster for short term gain.

The Muppet wrote:
    I'm sure I remember RTE showing Live LOI matches on friday evenings before that decision. Whether that's true or not IMO it was still extreamly short sighted to alienate The People. The Government and the National Broadcaster for short term gain.

yah they did , and they decided they didn't want to do that anymore .
    If money the extra money is used in grass-roots it becomes a long term gain .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

smemon wrote:
    it doesnt matter how much a stadium costs, it will pay for itself over time, thats obvious.

Tell that to Shamrock Rovers

You're living in a fantasy world if you think the FAI could just pull a stadium deal out of their arses without funding, the Sky deal helped. I was all for it, RTEs continued neglect of the EL means I have laughabley little sympathy with them when they went whinging about it being a travesty that the internationals weren't on free to air and they should show them because of their commitment to Irish football, what a joke. They were also offering a woeful amount of money, Sky offered many times more. Afaik RTE lowered their offer in the previous contract considerabley thinking that they had a monopoly. They got what they deserved. If you don't have Sky, either actually go to the matches or if you can't, find a pub that has Sky, I doubt you'd have to look very hard.

Of course, if the FAI invested a cent of either the Sky money or the Umbro money into the EL that would be an added bonus, but that's too much to ask obviously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement