Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2000 Final

• 03-07-2000 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Who agrees with me that last nights France v Italy clash was a fantastic match, - a brilliant way to finish off what has to be one of the best football tournaments ever... and if you're going to win on a golden goal, - at least it was one like that one. Top notch stuff- brilliant play from both teams, - feel a little sorry for the Italians, but fair play to the French for a well deserved overall victory.

Bard

home page

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep great match. I felt really sorry for the italians who proved me wrong and played the better football on the night. Del Piero should be shot for not putting away at least one of those opportunities. Fair play to France for keeping going when all looked lost.

Here did any1 else see the pictures on BBC before the start of that match of the Dutch manager crying on the bus after their defeat on Thursday, poor ******* will never live that one down smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yeah- saw those pics... poor guy... I changed back over to RTÉ though- dunno what it was but RTÉ looked more colourful and sounded louder and brasher. Plus you could hardly hear the crowd and the action on the Beeb, - they seemed to tone those down a but so that Motson came out louder (sheesh!).

Looked to me also like the BBC add an element of grey into their broadcast, or maybe this is just how it comes across on Cablelink (or ntl as it is now). Any ideas on the reason why they'd do such a thing?... So that Eastenders or the Queen doesn't look quite as boring in comparison I presume...

Bard

home page

Yeah the only reason I watch it on BBC is I cannot stand those ****wits that RTE have as comentators smile.gif

Gandalf.

Ah George Hamilton's not so bad... there are many worse...

He's the one who (famously?) yelled out "He's pulling him off!!! The spanish coach is pulling him off!!!" talking about Butrageno (?) being substituted off in some match or other.

There are worse thant RTÉ's George...

Bard

home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

RTE get on me tits now adays. I mean Bill O'Herlihy.. 'nuff said. Eamonn Dunphy trying so desperately hard to be controversial, disagreeing with what everyone says no matter how much sense it makes e.g. 'oh I wouldn't have picked Zidane for that [penalty against Portugal]. I would have sent in Laurent Blanc'. Yeah yeah Eamon, fu<k off.

John Giles at least knows what he's talking about, Brady is inoffensive, Toshack a twat.

I watched most of the games on UTV cos Big Ron can still throw out a few classics e.g. 'yeah, Komlejenovic was slow as lightning there' Laugh, I nearly went out the window smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Much better than could reasonably have been expected - I felt gutted for the Italians, they deserved to win over the 90 minutes, France did not play particularly well, even Zidane was pretty ineffective.

But I guess France just don't know how to lose any more smile.gif Incredible performances tho from Nesta, Cannavaro, and Maldini in the Italian defence.

btw Desailly should definitely have been sent off for that deliberate elbow in Cannavaro's face near the end of the first half - shame the ref didnt see it. Desailly could have made history by being the first man sent off in consecutive World Cup and Euro finals smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 03-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

It was the best major final in years

So whats next eh?... What do we have now to sit down in front of the TV with - along with a few lagers and a curry?... Surely not Wimbledon...

Hmm... reminds me, - a young lady in my office had a dream the other night in which I won Wimbledon (beating Henman in the final, no less!)... Seemed strange to me - I couldn't play tennis to save my life.-

Bard

home page

Hmmm a young lady in your office is dreaming about you, now thats a good sign smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Yeast

Great match, amazing tournement, classic games and the way it was going the while way through Euro 2000 you just had that feeling the French were bound to score.

I'am glad the won the play the game it so much more a positive fashion than the Italians.

yeast

• Advertisement

Yeah, Gandalf... I sure thought so...!

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought it was a good match.
    im not sure that the italians played the better football, i think the french were just crap at finishing.
    i reckon thiery henry was bloody brilliant. definately the best player on the french team at the moment. i still cant see what all the fuss about zidane is. yeah, hes a great player, but just coz hes in midfield and gets most of the ball doesnt mean hes brilliant. i think edger davids is a better midfield. more passionate, stronger, better engine. not as skillful, but he doesnt need it, hes a provider and playmaker. thats what midfielders are there for. i should know, i play centre midfield!
    still, i was absolutely delighted with that last minute goal. so was the entire pub smile.gif

Advertisement