Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk podcasts?

• 10-02-2005 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in downloadable podcasts of Newstalk programmes along the lines of Air America Place - link

What are the legalities of doing this I wonder? I sometimes set my PC to record a show and then I download the MP3 to my pocket pc and listen to it early evening. I can listen to repeats directly off the radio of course but they are on too late.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

alleepally wrote:
    What are the legalities of doing this I wonder?
    Unless you work for Newstalk and do it in an official capacity, or have their express permission, probably not good for you... I still don't understand why people think that just because something is vaailable online that all copyright law is automatically chucked out the window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Unless you work for Newstalk and do it in an official capacity, or have their express permission, probably not good for you... I still don't understand why people think that just because something is vaailable online that all copyright law is automatically chucked out the window...

I may have phrased my post badly. I was wondering how airamericaplace is operating but I guess they have permission to do it. It's a great service though. Unfiltered is a good programme as is Morning Sedition. Worth a download anyway.

If enough people expressed an interest I might be willing to provide an outlet for it subject to Newstalk permission of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Reader

alleepally wrote:
    I sometimes set my PC to record a show and then I download the MP3 to my pocket pc and listen to it early evening. I can listen to repeats directly off the radio of course but they are on too late.

Simply recording a programme now to playback later is called ‘timeshifting’ and is allowed by s101 of the Copyright and Related Rights, 2000 http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/carra2000282/s101.html.
    So, recording Newstalk 106 on your mp3 recorder to listen to later is fine, provided that this is the only use to which the recording is put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I understand that Newstalk are planning to do this themselves via their own web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

alleepally,

Is there any other worthwhile broadcasts worth downloading for playback on mp3 player? There is a lot of stuff on the BBC, I know, but that is all streamed rather than downloaded.

Personally, I think the Newstalk idea is excellent - uniquely for them, they do not have to worry about third-party copyright in their broadcasts, so presumably all they have to do is waive certain rights (i.e. restricting the use of download to personal use, not for re-broadcast, commerical use etc, etc).

That is one of a few things they could do - get on Sky, seek to take over the old 2FM or other vacant AM slot, etc. If that station is to work, they need to be able to cast their net as widely as possible; news radio is not cheap to produce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Genghis wrote:
    alleepally,

Is there any other worthwhile broadcasts worth downloading for playback on mp3 player? There is a lot of stuff on the BBC, I know, but that is all streamed rather than downloaded.

I use wavepad to record some progs off the stream on BBC and then play them back at a more convenient time. Check out www.penguinradio.com/podcasts - you might find something to tickle your fancy there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Cheers for that alleepally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Moe79

was listening to Dara O'brien presenting last week on Newstalk.. he's brilliant.. so sharp and sarcastic.

Advertisement