Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea confirms it has nuclear weapons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    I don't know what people said in October, I've always thought the North Korean reigme is a brutal one run by a lunatic, but Bush (IMO of course) will not confront someone who will be prepared to seriously fight back.
    Also the risks associated with any potential invasion/attacks on NK would have implications for US allies in the area i.e. South Korea and Japan, so the chances of Bush acting unilaterally again are slim.
    The other countries in that region also seem to favour diplomacy with the North Koreans.
    I wasn't suggesting anything about "anti US brigades" by my comment and tbh I can't see where you're getting that idea from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Good on ya North Korea,its about time someone stood up against that american idiot.
    This one of the more daftest throwaway comments I've read on Boards. If you think that it's a good thing that the psychopathic Northern Korean leader has nukes, you're on your own, even on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Source of this rubbish?

germany, japan, south corea, guantanimo bay,

most countries the US have "liberated" they have stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Nuttzz wrote:
    Tinfoil hat nazi propaganda rubbish. Like the sekrit UFO bases in the arctic.

Have you read either of those? How big was this organisation, and how many allied troops did they bag, to the nearest thousand.

• Advertisement

Daveirl wrote:
    They are reducing the size of their nuclear arsenal and have been since the initiatives in the 70s/80s 2004 Reductions

And yet the research they have in place for WMD's is still as active as ever. Bush's pet project is a good example of this. Thing is, while the US has conformed with the gradual reduction of its arsenals, its constantly creating newer, and more destructive versions of the original weapons.

While N.Korea may have Nuclear weapons, its likely that they're of the type produced in the early stages of the cold war. I doubt they have the technical backgrounds/facilities to create the more modern nuke types. The US on the other hand are at the foremost of weapon research.

While its good that the US are reducing their stockpiles, all they're really doing is decommisioning older models, in favour of newer more powerful weapons, which they would have done anyway.

I don't mean to target the US as the only nation doing this, France is another example of a nation expanding its nuclear knowledgebase, and upgrading of existing weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Its been a while since I read them but let me dig them out and see, I cant remember off hand but as far as I remember the US had something in the region of 4000 post war casualities.
    Tinfoil hat nazi propaganda rubbish.
    says you, I look forward to reading your published works........
    Have you read either of those?
    why else would I have posted them :rolleyes:

Have you read either of these? or do you just dismiss everything you dont agree with?

/edit
    with regard to the author of the books
    http://www.trafalgarsquarebooks.com/books/TempusFall04/0752429671.html
    Perry Biddiscombe is Associate Professor of History at the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. He is the world expert on the Nazi Werewolf bands. His next book, The SS Hunter Battalions, will be published by Tempus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Tinfoil hat nazi propaganda rubbish. Like the sekrit UFO bases in the arctic.
    A little exaggerated perhaps but I doubt it is anything as conspiratorial as ‘tinfoil hat nazi propaganda rubbish’ - that’s a tad hysterical, with respects.
    Have you read either of those? How big was this organisation, and how many allied troops did they bag, to the nearest thousand.
    The Wehrwolf resistance-insurgency at the end of World War II was actually quite limited. While it continued for a few years it only claimed the lives of fewer than 1,000 people and all the front organisations associated with them had already been shut down by mid 1946.

THB, the US was probably hoping for a similar level or resistance-insurgency as that found in post war Germany. In reality it’s become more and more like the resistance-insurgency in Vietnam, which probably explains why they’re presently looking for a new Hanoi to bomb.

Nuttzz wrote:
    Its been a while since I read them but let me dig them out and see, I cant remember off hand but as far as I remember the US had something in the region of 4000 post war casualities.

How many of those were accidents and other non combat thingys and so on.

Well it says here.
    Werwolf tales have been a favorite of schlock novels, but the reality bore no resemblance to Iraq today. As Antony Beevor observes in The Fall of Berlin 1945, the Nazis began creating Werwolf as a resistance organization in September 1944. "In theory, the training programmes covered sabotage using tins of Heinz oxtail soup packed with plastic explosive and detonated with captured British time pencils," Beevor writes. "… Werwolf recruits were taught to kill sentries with a slip-knotted garrotte about a metre long or a Walther pistol with silencer. …"

In practice, Werwolf amounted to next to nothing. The mayor of Aachen was assassinated on March 25, 1945, on Himmler's orders. This was not a nice thing to do, but it happened before the May 7 Nazi surrender at Reims. It's hardly surprising that Berlin sought to undermine the American occupation before the war was over. And as the U.S. Army's official history, The U.S. Army in the Occupation of Germany 1944-1946, points out, the killing was "probably the Werwolf's most sensational achievement."

Indeed, the organization merits but two passing mentions in Occupation of Germany, which dwells far more on how docile the Germans were once the Americans rolled in—and fraternization between former enemies was a bigger problem for the military than confrontation. Although Gen. Eisenhower had been worrying about guerrilla warfare as early as August 1944, little materialized. There was no major campaign of sabotage. There was no destruction of water mains or energy plants worth noting. In fact, the far greater problem for the occupying forces was the misbehavior of desperate displaced persons, who accounted for much of the crime in the American zone.

My German friends grandfathers post war experionces are perhaps more typical of the reality and a more accurate reflection of history than the one you're presenting. One, who had served in the army from 1936 til the end of the war, escaped from a US run POW camp because everyone was dying of disease and the like, another walked from Poland to Hamburg to escape the Russians. I've been assured that they were rather more interested in looking after their families future than fighting for what was left of the loony nazi fantasists (who had all legged it to south america anyway).

All you're doing is parrotting the propaganda rubbish the US have put out to try convince us that the Iraq war is a straightforward Good v Evil, democracy v nazis part 2 jobby.

I stand over my sources, I dont think he has an political axe to grind he is after all a history professor. I disagree with you stance that everything the US does is wrong but I am not going to change your mind and you arent going to change mine!

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote:
    I stand over my sources,
    I'm standing over them too.
    I dont think he has an political axe to grind he is after all a history professor.
    You think all academics are completely objective paragons of apoliticism then? La la land stuff.
    I disagree with you stance that everything the US does is wrong
    Where's this bit. Are you on drugs?

ecksor wrote:
    Nuttzz, if you give a source and the person is too lazy or unwilling to check it or accept it then I think you've reached the end of your discussion ...

On a forum like this one I'd prefer a print published reference to be honest because if it is something that I actually give a toss about to go check up myself then at least having made it into print probably puts it ahead of the game in terms of being a quality source and then I could go read it and see for myself if I agreed with it (and your interpretation ;) ) or found it useful.

I think we have reached the end of our discussion.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Where's this bit. Are you on drugs?
    You'd better hope so if you expect him to believe you're not the Boards posterboy for anti-Americanism.

Nuttzz wrote:
    I think we have reached the end of our discussion.
    Welcome to my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Anyone see that documentary on NK called "holidays in the axis of evil"? Was on BBC after the Iraqi war broke out. Some very interesting and bloody scarey viewing. According to the majority of NK civilians interviewed on the street they are all ready to go to nuclear war with the US. They firmly believe they are better prepared for a nuclear war that the US. If you marvel at the propaganda machine that is in operation in the US you should see this country's effort. It is amazing.

From seeing that and then going into about 2 weeks of researching the Korean wars and the aftermath I reckon it is only a matter of time before NK start their war with the US. Long range nuclear weapons are all they need and they can start. They are not participating in talks because they have no interest in a peaceful solution. All their propaganda imbues nothing but a burning hatred for the US that stems from their participation in the Korean war.

Although personally, I'd still be much more comfortable if the US didn't have nuclear weapons.

They are not participating in talks because they have no interest in a peaceful solution. All their propaganda imbues nothing but a burning hatred for the US that stems from their participation in the Korean war.

The reality of it is, that the US has publicly names N.Korea as being part of the Axis of Evil, and have constantly made references towards N.Korea as being an origin of terrorism, and lack of freedoms. Sure they're correct, but their lack of tact, justifies N.Korea's stance against the US. The US is only interested in peace, so that it can settle Iraq. Once its got that situation under control, they'll start preparing for other attacks.

Iraq was a good reference, to the US's attitude towards pre-emptive strikes. Part of the justification for the invasion of Iraq, at the time anyway, was that Iraq would at some future time be a threat to the security of the US. They've made similiar references to N.Korea, and to be honest, I'm not suprised that N.Korea are becoming more prepared. I definetly would.

Do you honestly believe that the Bush's posturing has actually helped tensions between N.Korea and western nations? I don't, and I'd actually point the majority of the blame for this escalation, on the US invasion of Iraq. Certain nations like N.Korea, no longer believe that anyone can stop the US from attacking another nation, so they're doing what every other nation would do. (pure speculation, of course) They're preparing for war. And despite my not liking the N.Korean government in the slightest, I can agree with their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its been mentioned before but NK have actually managed to drop a missile onto US soil. Was done some years ago.

Although missiles aren't the problem. A good enough balloon and you can use the jetstream. Japanese did this in WWII and hit the US.

well, I'd actually consider their chemical and biological weapons to be of more a threat. N.Korea have been producing various types for years, and it would be the perfect weapon, for a platform like Hobbes suggested (i.e. hot air balloons).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I wonder whether an increased nuclear or otherwise threat to the US from the North Koreans really will make the American administration (present or future) back down or even show them off as the 'playground bully' of the world that so many people here think / wish they are.

I personally believe that the closer that NK comes to legimately threatening the defences of the continental US, the closer NK comes to being attacked. At some point the massive casualities in allied troops / US military stationed in SK will become less of a liability than the risk of allowing a megalomanic dictator aim a small (but growing) number of nuclear missiles at your territory. At that point the right and wrong of pre-emptively attacking NK and ensuring untold allied nation casualities may become irrelevant, as the most powerful country in the world will take whatever steps necessary to protect its population and ensure its continued dominance.

Maybe I'm wrong - at least I would hope that (like the Japanese and West Germans post-WWII) the North Koreans *that survive* could be counted among the winners of the war.

In any case, I truly believe the current crisis is just the latest desperate gamble of a NK regime tottering on the brink...they want to be bought off and are willing to play a game of brinksmanship to get what they want.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Welcome to my ignore list.
    oh darn I'm so disappointed.

back on topic. I dont think that the US has the capacity to fight on two fronts at the moment so I think NK will be secure for the moment. Does anyone know if the Japanese are still prevent from deploying outside their own territory. Japan and SK are at a bigger risk from the North than America.

NK Missile Tests
    http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/06/11/wkor11.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/06/11/ixworld.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

When I was at home for christmas I watched a BBC documentary on North Korea & its Mass Games (it was on BBC 3 I think). I found it kind of frightening, the people there are brainwashed into thinking that they are invincible & that america & the western world is a great evil that threatens their freedom (although that seems to sound familiar). Up untill now I always thought that N.Koreas weapons programs were just an attempt at getting aid for the starving population, but the narrator of the documentary made a great point; It has been a long time since N.Korea has had a major victory over capitalisim & people are becomming disgruntled. Another victory would help bolster the govenments image of being indesturctable.

So personally I think they are itching to try out their weapons. I also believe that the only way we can get that govenment out of power is by showing the people how good life is for other countries.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Yeah just goes to show how scary propeganda can be. Bush invades in the name of freedom, a dictator condones Bush because he threatens freedom.

I don't think America will invade N-Korea, for obvious reasons. What I'm afraid of is that N-korea will suddenly delclair war on the US. What have they got to lose, they've a descent army and the situation in their country ATM is one that could (by them) be considered opression from the US. It's not like they've an economy to worry about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

And like all good ideas it needs to be backed up. However, the nations that are there to back this up, aren't exactly the best role models. The US continues its research in Nuclear weapons, France has demolished an Atol in its tests etc. Its all very well to say lets prevent other nations from having nuclear weapons, but you kind to have to lead by example.

N. Korea seeking Nuclear weapons, at such a huge cost is because of the need for a massive defensive weapon against the superpower that won't stop flexing its muscles. It remains a factor that the US doesn't think very much of International Treaties, even ones it instigated in the first place.

When the US starts decommissioning the largest stockpile of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons in the world, then maybe I'll start expecting other nations to follow suit. Not going to happen though.

Please watch Simpsons Tree House Of Horror episode in which they abolish guns and the dead rise with thier guns and reek havoc!....Simpsons is the greatest debate tool ever invented!..Fire with Fire and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

When the US starts decommissioning the largest stockpile of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons in the world, then maybe I'll start expecting other nations to follow suit. Not going to happen though.

The fact that the US has no biological weapons is of course beside the point. Also, that the legacy chemical weapons which are in it's possession are being fully disposed of in a proper and timely manner under the Chemical Weapons Convention is entirely irrelevant.

Cuh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Moriarty wrote:
    The fact that the US has no biological weapons is of course beside the point. Also, that the legacy chemical weapons which are in it's possession are being fully disposed of in a proper and timely manner under the Chemical Weapons Convention is entirely irrelevant.

Cuh.
    yes, let's be thankful they're only sitting on a few thousand nukes :)

Moriarty wrote:
    The fact that the US has no biological weapons is of course beside the point.
    Actually they do. Here’s one research and storage facility, for example.

As a matter of fact, does anyone remember that whole Anthrax campaign that was taking place just after 911? 'Twas hotly investigated until the evidence started to point to a US and not foreign (of former Soviet origin) strain of the virus.

Then it just stopped being newsworthy.

Odd that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Actually they do.

Nuh-uh. They have a number of labs (usamriid being the main one) that work on biological weapon strains for defensive purposes, but the US has absolutely no offensive biological weapons program. It's been US policy since Nixon that the US will never, under any circumstances, use biological weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

popinfresh wrote:
    I don't think America will invade N-Korea, for obvious reasons. What I'm afraid of is that N-korea will suddenly delclair war on the US. What have they got to lose, they've a descent army
    I don't think the US is worried about a direct attack on US soil, certainly not by the NK army. There's no way they could get the army anywhere near the US. It would have to be by missile, but I think even the Dear Leader knows that what would then occur would not bear thinking about. At the end of the day he doesn't want his country destroyed. He has a pretty good thing going for himself right now even if his people are suffering.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Ah yeah but sure if he invades S-korea he might as well be declairing war on the US. IMO possesion of nukes offer only an insurance whereby you can fight a war with another country, but that country will not invade your own soil for fear of being nuked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

popinfresh wrote:
    Ah yeah but sure if he invades S-korea he might as well be declairing war on the US.
    Yes, but the DPRK is somewhat unique in that the US could not win a war against it. Between the size of the DPRK army, the artillery emplacements along the borders, the nuclear threat to Japan and the ROK in the event of the DPRK being pushed back across the border, and the other overseas committments of the US armed forces, such a war would be unwinnable for the US, at least for any conventional definition of the word "win".

So we're down to diplomacy. Hmmm...

Advertisement