Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to input photo slides into pc

Options
  • 10-02-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Came across a load of old slides and want to scan them into the pc,I have seen scanners before that will do photo negetives.Am I right in saying slides and negetives and not the same? becasue if I remember rightly when you hold a slide upto the light you get a colour foto where as a neg is B&W?. IF so what kind of devices are out there to do the job.

Also while Im here :D I have an old HI-8 camcorder which works perfectly but because there is no firewire/usb to input to the pc I am unable to play around with the film.Are there cheap devices(that will take it from RGB-usb/firewire) or am I just better off buying a new camcorder?

Thanks Cubix'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Neither of those questions really belongs in this section. But...

I think scanners that have the "transparency" feature will handle slides as well as negs. The twain software will probably have the option to choose either or. Oh, negs are not b&w unless they are b&w photos. Negs are inverse images in terms of light and colour. So, dark areas are bright, bright areas are dark, and colours are inverse in relation to the colour spectrum.

For the camcorder, you don't make it clear what connections it has or what connections your PC has. But I suspect you simply need to choose a video capture card with suitable inputs (Composite video, RGB, S-Video, or whatever). I saw someone selling a bunch of old ATI AIW cards in the for sale section. One of those is bound to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks DrOOg

Advertisement