Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for convicted driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loco wrote:
    my opinion is that this law is silly, and that he shouldnt have been punished for sitting in his car while drunk, its relevant to this topic, have you got a problem with it? :rolleyes:
    Actually, it's completely not revelant to the topic, none of this dicussion is. My "irrelevant" comment was in the context of law. The law doesn't care what your opinion is about it, the law just is. The court isn't going to let you off because you don't agree with it.
    Boggle wrote:
    Seriously mate, a bit of cop on is required here cos WHEN you get caught it will bring a whole load of **** down on yourself...
    Indeed. I gather by your posts Loco, that you park on the street. That means you will be caught one night you're asleep in the car, by a passing Garda. You won't have any comeback. "I wasn't driving" is no defence.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying you're a bad or evil man for breaking this law. Just that's it's a very clear law, with severe punishments, and it's very easy not to break.

I'm guessing it was probably penned a good few years back. We take a lot for granted. It's not that long ago that cars didn't really have comfy, reclining seats, heaters, storage space and radios as standard. Back when the law was conjured, it was reasonable to assume that if someone was sitting in their car, keys on them, or in the ignition, that they were intending to travel, or had just travelled. Thus, if you were drunk, you had just driven drunk or were intending to drive drunk. People didn't sit in their cars to listen to the radio, or take a nap, or flick through some documents in their glove compartment.

A modern example can be taken with a motorbike. My bike has no heaters for me, no radio, and very little storage space. Thus, if I'm sitting on my bike, keys in the ignition, it's reasonable to assume that I'm either a) Intending to travel, or b) performing maintenance. If I'm drunk, then the possibility of scenario B is non-existent, therefore I must be intending to drive my bike drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Ok sorry im allowed no opinion, and any previous opinions i withdraw because they are not relevant. Happy seamus?

What about when i leave my jacket in a car when i go to a night club? If i go back to get it after the club should i be arrested seamus? Should i go to court and be banned for 2 years because i was in my car for a second to get my jacket? Do you have any opinion, or are you some sort of opinion less law abiding sheep? Would u go ask a guard to take your coat out of your car for you because you dont want to be banned?

Im sick of debating this, especially when sheep like seamus are telling me my opinions are completely irrelevant and that the court wouldnt care about them.

I know what would happen in court if the police found me sitting drunk in my car, you dont have to keep telling me...

My opinion is this law has many flaws. And i will repeat for the sheep, he should never have been convicted and have trouble with finding insurance now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest, unless your real name is Michael McDowell and you can force the law to change, then your opinion is of no use to you when caught pissed sitting in your car with the engine running!
    He was convicted of breaking a law. Unfair? Maybe, but then again should we dismiss some TV licence evasion cases purely because the defendants never actually turned the TV's on? No! The law is specific. If you don't like that then become Minsiter for Justice and change it. Otherwise don't break it!

Loco wrote:
    Ok sorry im allowed no opinion, and any previous opinions i withdraw because they are not relevant. Happy seamus?

What about when i leave my jacket in a car when i go to a night club? If i go back to get it after the club should i be arrested seamus? Should i go to court and be banned for 2 years because i was in my car for a second to get my jacket? Do you have any opinion, or are you some sort of opinion less law abiding sheep? Would u go ask a guard to take your coat out of your car for you because you dont want to be banned?

Im sick of debating this, especially when sheep like seamus are telling me my opinions are completely irrelevant and that the court wouldnt care about them.

I know what would happen in court if the police found me sitting drunk in my car, you dont have to keep telling me...

My opinion is this law has many flaws. And i will repeat for the sheep, he should never have been convicted and have trouble with finding insurance now.
    In other words, you failed to read my post. Nice one.

kbannon has said exactly what I was going to. The court *doesn't* care about your opinion. Yes, the law is flawed in this case, no-one is disagreeing with you, but a flawed law is not a non-existent law.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

edited.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We can only go by what the OP has said, obviously he's making it sound slightly biased.

Sitting in his car, drunk with absolutely no intent on driving? Doubt it, came out of the pub to listen to the radio ?

Bullshít

Deserved the ban, Idiot imo. If you're drinking or had a few in you, never go near the car.

And dont come over with blaming the guards crap, you were probaly visibly drunk, and got into the drivers seat of the car (intent on driving)

and now back to f4ght teh PoWeh replies

thelurcher wrote:
    There's a lot of bulls**t written in this thread. No one should praise the gards for getting a fella banned for sitting in his car drunk.
    Why don't they have checkpoints outside all the small country pubs? I see the langers stumbling out of the local here and off home in their cars - you can be sure that's repeated all over.
    There's a lot of teens around who can't afford insurance so they're walking home from friends houses at the same time as these pissheads - madness!
    Can you imagine the vintners lobby if there were checkpoints outside all the pubs or even just at random - it would never happen! :mad:

Take no **** of the guards either - seriously- they're not the gestapo :) I hate the smart ass little ****s talking down to me - put them in their place - I've had the pricks appologise to me - they're too used to people licking up to them. (I'm not saying to start tearing into them - and if you're totally in the wrong let it go!)
    Did you have a point here that had absolutely anything to do with this thread?
    To go back to the original question:
    Get a Unimog - they're taxed, insured etc as a tractor (in UK at least but probably same all over EU?) - you'd get 50MPH out of them - they'll go literally anywhere - I think theyr'e mad looking.
    Good Luck.
    Never heard of them, just googled. Look pretty cool actually. Only problem is that conviction in any vehicle is counted for any insurance policy. Is tractor insurance much cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cavo

We can only go by what the OP has said, obviously he's making it sound slightly biased.

Sitting in his car, drunk with absolutely no intent on driving? Doubt it, came out of the pub to listen to the radio ?

Bullshít

Deserved the ban, Idiot imo. If you're drinking or had a few in you, never go near the car.

And dont come over with blaming the guards crap, you were probaly visibly drunk, and got into the drivers seat of the car (intent on driving)

and now back to f4ght teh PoWeh replies

yeah im such an idiot that i rang my dad to get him to collect the car and waited outside in it for him.God i should be shot for that.Its small minded idiots like you that should work for insurance companies.Might be a bit of a better career as opposed to being a moderator for a webboard which ive been doing since i was in school.

Tough break, you never mentioned any of this in the original post, still think you were very stupid to get into the drivers seat of your car :)

Moderating the internet is my lifes work btw.

bazH wrote:

and your post is totally biased.

One question, do you guys drive? cause it doesnt sound like it :P

• Advertisement

Loco wrote:
    Based on?
    I'm more surprised that you do drive, and you're ignorant of this particular law.

Loco wrote:
    and your post is totally biased.

biased against being in charge of a vehicle whilst pissed? Yes I am! If I want to go into the city centre at night and bring the car then I drink alcohol free beer (usually the only option is Becks). If there is none present then I drink coke or something.
    If I have a skinful then the thought to return to my car doesn't occur as I know better!
    It is called self-discipline!

Anyway, you obviously don't agree with the legal status of it all so why not protest...
    email Michael McDowell

kbannon wrote:
    biased against being in charge of a vehicle whilst pissed? Yes I am! If I want to go into the city centre at night and bring the car then I drink alcohol free beer (usually the only option is Becks). If there is none present then I drink coke or something.
    If I have a skinful then the thought to return to my car doesn't occur as I know better!
    It is called self-discipline!

Anyway, you obviously don't agree with the legal status of it all so why not protest...

so you agree that under no circumstances, if u exceed the legal alcohol limit for driving, may you return to the vehicle?

even after 1 and a half pints?

lightweights!

if the car is parked near the pub and your jackets in it and its raining?

deciding not to drive is just the same as deciding not to return to the car! its all self discipline! only difference is if u get into the car and the police catch you your ****ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tee_roaul

if the car is parked near the pub and your jackets in it and its raining?

Raining in the pub ? Running out to get jacket, must start car, listen to radio...post retarded stuff on internet

What are you on about?
    If I go into the city centre for a drink (or anywhere else for that matter) and I bring the car, I simply don't drink. If on the extremely rare occasion take a drink then I will already have parked in a multi-storey car park (I never park on the street!), so I would have any jackets, etc. that I need, so your suggestion doesn't arise.
    However, if it did then I certainly wouldn't sit there with the engine running!*
    Maybe it is because Im older now and have responsibilities that Im mature enough not to walk into a situation where I can end up in trouble.

*edit: If I returned to the car it would be to remove something from the boot. I wouldn't have a need to get into the car, not to shelter from the cold, not to listen to the radio, not to get a quick blow job, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Loco wrote:
    um... he got completely screwed!

i always go back to my car after drinking in town to sit and wait for a lift/taxi when im locked... better to have warmth and a radio while u wait 30 mins or so for taxi

i start the engine put on the heat and radio and sit and wait. u think i should be banned for 2 years because of this too?

i have done it like 20 times.. didnt even know sitting drunk in your car was illegal.. just thought driving was

btw: i also have a smoke... but if they want to arrest me for that its different :p

best sit in the passanger seat then and lock the doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

again, i have to ask this simple question.. if you're going into town or anywhere to have a few drinks.. then please tell me...

edited for foul and abusive language. Dive Bomb you're on a warning.... Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Jesus! this is getting insulting very fast... back to the original question lads. Does anyone know of a way of helping the original poster? A slagging match doesn't help him much...
    (Don't make me suggest the bike again!!...)

And if you disagree with a law then can you not appeal based on the law being unjust - or is this truly a DICKtatorship now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    again, i have to ask this simple question.. if you're going into town or anywhere to have a few drinks.. then please tell me...

WHY THE FúCK DO YOU BRING YOUR CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU FúCKIN GOBSHíTE!!!!!!!!!???

what if you dont plan on having a drink and then end up doing so? Its been know to happen. Please don't shout its rude.... Gob****e..

there isn't much he can do as between both his age and his offence he will invariably pay over the odds for many years!
    He got a quote for €5600 on a 1.4 golf. This may be the best he will see for a long time!

• Advertisement

The 5400 quote is comprehensive ?

maybe try 3rd party t+f instead

It's a 94 golf after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

sound_wave wrote:
    what if you dont plan on having a drink and then end up doing so? Its been know to happen. Please don't shout its rude.... Gob****e..
    well then all you have to blame is your lack of self control, not the guards:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right kids thats enough. Thread closed.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement