Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how long is a piece of string?

Options
  • 10-02-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

n00b questions here.

Only driving a few months and I reckon the car should get a once over from a mechanic - there are a few things bugging me and without the reference point of previous cars I need some ones experience.

How much will this cost me? how much do parts etc cost - is there any online resource that has this info??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

uberwolf wrote:
    How much will this cost me? how much do parts etc cost - is there any online resource that has this info??
    Heh. You answered your own question with your thread title and you know it.

What's wrong with the car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

seamus wrote:
    Heh. You answered your own question with your thread title and you know it.

What's wrong with the car? :)

+
    what's make of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

1.4L VW Polo 1996

The first 2 or 3 times I brake after the car has gone cold the brakes squeal.

and I'm convinced the gearbox is far too stiff and after 9 yrs - may even need replacing - I could say the same of teh clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

how long is a piece of string?

due to recent eu regulations 3.5 meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

break pads are worn down by the sounds of it, let's hope you won't need to replace the discs as well..

as for the gear box.. well, i have no experience with em(besides using em) but as far as i know gettin anything done to a gear box isn't cheap..

when did you buy the car? is there a service history with it? if so when was it last serviced? what mileage does it have?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. brake pad squeal is most likely just a need for a bit of high temp grease on the pad backing. Your pads are vibrating inside the calipers causing the squeal.
    2. Gearbox - if you mention that you think it is shot to a mechanic then I would put money on it that they will agree with you. However, I would doubt that your gearbox is knackered. It may just want the oil changed.
    3. what is wrong with the clutch?
    4. when did the car last get a decent service (& Im not talking about a 1/2 hour job where the oil and spark plugs were replaced!)?

I had been thinking that the temporary nature of the squeal meant a misalignment rather then fubarred, but prob needs to be looked at.

I'm well aware that suggesting problems to a mechanic = automatic replacement.

I got the car for free from my parents - it has 97k on the clock and they were aware that the gearbox was stiff, the gears virtually have to be wrestled into place - I had been taking lessons in a nearly new yaris(my only refernce point) and the gears were point and shoot, the Polo needs work - my GF can't take it around a car park for more the 20 mins because the arm is falling off her after any longer.

It may very well be due a service, my worry is with no reference I don't know whats wrong adn what I'm imagining - and from there how much of a ride a garage will take me for...

Although at the price I paid I shouldn't feel too bad about a few bits and pieces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

when you brake how does the break pedal feel? does it react to touch quickly or do you have to push it quite a bit to slow down?

to be fair too it it reacts quickly enough afaik. Again the absence of reference point mitigating.

Also on topic of clutch it just feels sticky around the 'engaging' point almost like there's an extra bit of friction or inertia at either side of engaging the gear.

I was doing a driving lesson today - I just do one occassionally to keep away teh bad habits - and I realised how much work changing gear actually was because I was trying to concentrate on other issues like positioning more than I normally would. Emphasis on work rather than technical I'm still a n00b difficult

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My thought on the brake squeal would be a misalignment. I had the same on my old car for a while.

Unless there's a grating sound as the brakes are applied, or you have to bury the pedal to get a result - the discs/pads are probably okay.

Can't comment on the gearshift, only that it doesn't sound like it will go away on it's own. :(

G'luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement