Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Win Xp/2K install problems

• 10-02-2005 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Have installed a new motherboard MSI PT8, and P4 3.0G Processor. Xp and 2k will not install, have problems copying files, getting messages saying files are not valid or corrupted. Thought it was the cd's or dvd drive, but both work fine in another system. Have striped the system down to just CPU video card and ram, makes no difference.
    Any Idea's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

try installing 98 if you have it, then install 2k/xp from within 98, worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Have You The Hard Disk Plugged Cable In The Black Ide?

Regds Kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Tried a WinME ghost image instalation, installed ok but got the same problems trying an upgrade to 2k, and XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

format the drive to ntfs.
    if me or 98 is on its probably fat32.
    maybe ntfs will make a difference.

cant think of anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

I need more info.Is it a ide or sata hard drive?Corruption is usually hard disk not set up correctly or virus ,though memory also can play a part.

what is new in the system?

did u format drive with the xp format utility?

regds kieran

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,
    Have installed Win Me and tried to upgrade from that.. same errors. The Ide cable is in the correct ide controller on the motherboard. Tried putting the dvd on IDE 1 and hdd on IDE 2. The partition is NTFS when trying a direct install from the 2k/xp cds tried installing on FAT too. Formatting is no problem. Did a low level format to make sure the drives atr totally blank. It's failing after the 2k/xp setup decides to copy the files to the hdd. Have changed hdd's incase there was a problem there. The hdd's are IDE.

The memory could be a problem. Have is 2 256 sticks, same manufacturer and clock speed, but 1 is single sided and 1 double. I'll take one out when i get home.

Thanks for all your help guys, turned out to be a memory mismatch.

Advertisement