Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virtual racing

Options
  • 10-02-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

can't for the life of me see how anybody could put a cent/penny on it.
    anybody here bet on it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

do you mean the one thats on sky digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

AlcoholicA wrote:
    do you mean the one thats on sky digital?

the one that you see in the bookies while you're studying the form on the real ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

o yeah
    theres a whole channel on sky digital with virtual racing all day, it looks really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

Are you talking about portman park, that kind of thing

Well the reason people do have a bet on it is because it's called GAMBLING

Plus there's nothing virtual about a winner (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I have a tip for a horse going in a virtual race at Portman Park tomorrow. It's gonna be a big price because its form is terrible. But I know one of the stable staff and he tells me that they've been stopping the horse to get it a low handicap mark and it's going to hack up tomorrow. I'll let you all know its name tomorrow afternoon, as it's only fair that the owners and the trainer be allowed to get on at the big prices first, as well as the jockey and all the other jockeys in the race too.

Back to reality, it always amazes me to see the amount of people in my local bookies who bet on these things and then there's the crazy ones who are urging their selections along - "C'mon! Hit him! Get him up! Get him up!" :rolleyes:

I just want to scream out "Do you know what the overround is on these things, you lunatics!!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Morgans

Obviously a waste of money, but only one step above BAGS greyhound racing in my opinion.

However, if it was overrounds that determined your punting, youd find it hard to part with cash on any irish race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Crumbs wrote:
    I have a tip for a horse going in a virtual race at Portman Park tomorrow. It's gonna be a big price because its form is terrible. But I know one of the stable staff and he tells me that they've been stopping the horse to get it a low handicap mark and it's going to hack up tomorrow. I'll let you all know its name tomorrow afternoon, as it's only fair that the owners and the trainer be allowed to get on at the big prices first, as well as the jockey and all the other jockeys in the race too.

Back to reality, it always amazes me to see the amount of people in my local bookies who bet on these things and then there's the crazy ones who are urging their selections along - "C'mon! Hit him! Get him up! Get him up!" :rolleyes:

I just want to scream out "Do you know what the overround is on these things, you lunatics!!".

i think I know the horse you're talking about...he's a potential blot on the handicapper. He's thrown in to this one...

Listen if Paddy Power could put two flies on their wall they would...It's no different to shops putting inpulse items on the counter....If you've backed a horse in vrtual races then you have a problem. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'd love to see the amount turnover on Virtual Racing. You wouldn't think it could possibly be all that high, although nothing would surprise me.

I was in Paddy Power's the other day and there was a group of Scottish blokes that looked like they'd just finished work on a building site screaming like lunatics at the virtual racing on screen as if there lives depended on it.

The whole virtual racing thing and those that bet on it is typical of the average mug punter who wouldn't have a clue how to read a formbook. Did you ever notice in the bookies the amount of people that actually read the form section of the racing post as opposed to just the racecards? There would be 2 or 3 at most, the rest just look at the the form figures and the tipsters and base there selection from that. The difference between that and picking virtual horses is not all that much.

masterK wrote:
    I'd love to see the amount turnover on Virtual Racing. You wouldn't think it could possibly be all that high, although nothing would surprise me.

I was in Paddy Power's the other day and there was a group of Scottish blokes that looked like they'd just finished work on a building site screaming like lunatics at the virtual racing on screen as if there lives depended on it.

The whole virtual racing thing and those that bet on it is typical of the average mug punter who wouldn't have a clue how to read a formbook. Did you ever notice in the bookies the amount of people that actually read the form section of the racing post as opposed to just the racecards? There would be 2 or 3 at most, the rest just look at the the form figures and the tipsters and base there selection from that. The difference between that and picking virtual horses is not all that much.

i can see your point, but TBH the whole lot of you shouldn't back a horse if you realised how bent and corrupt racing is and the overround is massive in irish racing most of the time aswell, except big grade / group / listed races
    racing is as bent as anything so as much as you think you know the form in a handicap its probably already decided before you have a punt

fade2black wrote:

Listen if Paddy Power could put two flies on their wall they would...It's no different to shops putting inpulse items on the counter....If you've backed a horse in vrtual races then you have a problem. Simple as that.

see my point above for irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I bet very rarely on this steepledowns, but i would say im running on a profit.
    My tips for anyone, is watch out for the favourites, you can see the results where a favourite hasnt won all day. e.g last thursday i was up in the bookies around 4:55, there was a race in steepledowns at 2:32 that hadnt been run. so while i was looking at the results i noticed there hadnt been a favourite all day, so in that race i backed the 11/4 shot, he finished last. So still thinking there was a favourite due, i hung around for the next race at 5:09, this time around the favourite was 11/2 with 10/1 bar, so i thought this has to be a certainty, and he romped home. As i say i am running at a profit for steepledowns just watching out for the due favourites. Other things i have noticed about steepledowns is the winning odds always seem to be the same, the outsider winners are usually 11/2,8's,12's,25's or 50's, very rarely do you see 9's,10's,16's,20's, the shorter winners are usually second favourites/a price or two above the favourite. Thats just how i work it out when i am waiting between meetings, if all else fails i just go by the name!!

Do yourself a favour and stop Healio. I respect your honesty, but stop, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

i've been reliably informed :) by another boardsie that if there is only one 14/1 shot in a race to get on

the one time i backed one it lost

the first time i took any notice of virtual racing there was 'santa claus' which took my fancy as a name for a horse and i went on studying real form while the horse won at 20 or 25/1, i knew that was my chance gone

i am impressed with trainers though and the excellent performances of especially the jumps runners of which i have never seen a faller yet :D:D

ah im alrite i only bet €2 max on these things, usually they pay my 3% for the day. Also look for Paul Bannister he usually has at least one winner a day.

The names play a big part aswell, i remember one day a horse called Duff Blimp was running, id say everyone in the bookies backed it at 14/1.

I suppose there's worse things you could do with €2 (like buy a valentines card), Im just generally against bookies in every way. I'll have a bet on the soccer, and I'll have a bet on the horses on a good racing day but i won't watch the race in a bookies. Horrible places. Even when they do them up and make them look really presentable they can't do the same thing with most of the customers.

Just to add my father is a bookie.

And?

Im just generally against bookies in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Boys boys, we're all friends here.

Bookies as in Bookmaker shops. I think you're just getting offended for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

I completely misread the situation, sorry man.

No problem bud, It would be very hypocritical of me to say I hate bookies cause I have a bet whenever I go to a racetrack. However the people I have the problem with are the larger companies...Paddy Power, Ladbrokes etc. They have got to the point now where they are making such a profit that they have shops on every street corner and their shops are looking more and more luxurious.
    You will notice that probably no more than 10 minutes will pass without there being something to back, virtual this, virtual that....racing from Somalia will be next. Bookies, like your Dad are trying to run a business, trying to make money in the same way the woman who sells the race cards does. When the last race finishes they pay out and they go home. Some days they are up, some days they are down.
    Paddy Power, Ladbrokes etc, in my opinion and many will not agree with me, are not providing an honest service, they are exploiting people. Their staff are told never to mention to someone that maybe they've had enough bets for the day. From the minute they open the doors until they close them they will have something for you to bet on. Is it good business or exploitation? I guess that's down to personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

fade2black wrote:
    ...racing from Somalia will be next

Well, there is S.African racing :)
    fade2black wrote:
    From the minute they open the doors until they close them they will have something for you to bet on

They're offering a service, it's up to you whether to bet or not. In one of the few places you can gamble; you're complaining that there's too much opportunity to? That's like saying there's too many beverages available in a pub! The mind boggles

I did say it was just my opinion. And an alcoholic won't drink every drink in a bar, just the one he likes, for as long as he can.

Advertisement