Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim cloning

Options
  • 10-02-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Any one know the story behind this?

What is its purpose,is it legal and is it expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I know you can get a device which is essentially a flash drive with the same capacity as a sim card. It copies all the information on your sim card, then if your mobile is lost or stolen, you can copy all of your numbers, messages etc. that were on your old sim to a new one. Handy and yes it is legal as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I know you can get a device which is essentially a flash drive with the same capacity as a sim card. It copies all the information on your sim card, then if your mobile is lost or stolen, you can copy all of your numbers, messages etc. that were on your old sim to a new one. Handy and yes it is legal as far as I know.

I've seen them handed out as promotional gifts from various companies, but they are only phone book backups, not actual sim-card cloners, which I think is what is being enquired about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Simcard clones.. where you clone their simcard and listen in on calls etc? Like "in the movies" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

ciaranfo wrote:
    Simcard clones.. where you clone their simcard and listen in on calls etc? Like "in the movies" ?

I don't know how legal SIM cloning is but essentially it is possible with new O2 SIM cards, Eircell SIM cards and old Meteor Cards (The ones without the SIM application tool kit menu)

What you do is scan the SIM card for two data streams - the IMSI which is a decimal number and then use a process that takes a few hours to get the Ki hex code from the SIM. Voda and new Meteor cards can't be cloned because this Ki code is protected using encryption called COMP128V2.

Once you have these codes you can program a new SIM card with these details and both your original card and the new card can access the one account.

The last switched on SIM is the one that will ring on an incoming call but you can make a call from either card but not at the same time.

If there are no objections I could post a link to the sw required. I don't think cloning is illegal - the networks have objections to it because you are saving on rental.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but its relevant to the old and keeps it all in the one thread. :)

Just wondering has it became any easier to clone an Eircell sim, basically want to make a back up in the event the original dies.

Is it something i can do myself or are their any shops in Dublin that provide this facility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Im thinking that the network admins would pick up that there are two sims active at the one time, it probably would raise an alarm if both made calls at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Deesy

if original sim dies you can go to any shop for your network and get new sim card. as mention above new cards have stronger crypt protocol, ki code can't be brutforced and card can't be cloned anymore, as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

A few years back 02 did offer this service of 2 x sim cards on 1 number, the logic behind it ar the time was for people who were using proper fixed class 1 car phones as fitted to some bmws , saab 95s , that 1 sim was left in situ in the car and the other in whatever handset you were using.
    I know it was common cloning esns back in the 088 days , but this service was being offered by 02 to high spend business and corp customers.
    They didnt know what to charge for it and was offered free.
    lack of the proper car phones as time went on and improvements in coverage saw the facilty not being pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't want to have both sims in use just back up the original in the event it goes belly up.

And understand I can get replacement sim from vodafone in the event.

But like the Eircell logo on my phone screen, hence the reason I wanted to

back up, purely aesthetic. :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

i'm sure there are apps or hacks to change your operators logo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement