Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for a filming crew / production house.

• 10-02-2005 2:46pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an idea for a tv program and I have a potential backer for it but I have no idea how to go about selling the idea to a TV station nor how to get it made.

Can anyone here put me in touch with the right people? I guess I need to speak to a producer to get an idea of the steps needed to make this happen.

Anyone out there help me?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Probably the bes tthing to do would be to find a production company that would take it on board. It'd be more expensive, but it'd be like building a house. IE The production company would be the main contractors, you deal only with them, then they'd sub contract out all the other work.

You could always do it yourself, but it'd be costly. IE Get a producer yourself, get a director, camera crew etc etc.

The other way to do it, would be to pitch the idea to some one like RTE, they would then buy the rights to the idea and go about making the film in their own way.

It depends if you want to have creative control, write it, direct it etc etc. If it's just an idea they're not likely to buy an idea unless it's developed to a degree.

In work at the moment, so don't have much time to post, but I'll have a look around later.

For the mean time, I'll pimp the BBC. Not much use to you unless the idea is cultrally switchable (I made that bit up, but you know what I mean) It'll give you some ideas hopefully.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/genres/programme_acquisition.shtml

John

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks, I have a number of things pulled together and its more then just an idea but maybe I'll try and contact someone in the likes of TV3 to see if they'll go with it.

Anyone got a contact in TV3? Or RTE for that matter?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Dev, what type of program is it? Drama, documentary, entertainment?
    I may have a few contacts for you.
    I also have details of a crew who could arrange puting together a demo for you to help pitch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

DeVore wrote:
    Thanks, I have a number of things pulled together and its more then just an idea but maybe I'll try and contact someone in the likes of TV3 to see if they'll go with it.

DeV.

DeV I'd try and speak to one of the idependent production companies, Tyrone, Great Western, Parrell, Mint.

RTE, tv3 et all have a commisioning round twice a year where they invite submissions, sometimes it's very specific (i.e six part lifestyle and fashion series) sometimes it's more lose (hour long documentary)

They'd be leery about accepting a submission from someone with no track record and the irish industry is fairly insular, so a phone call from a trusted producer with a track record is more likely to be listened to then a newbie with a great idea and no track record.

Also they like you to present in a specific manner a certain number of pages a certain format, style etc, with a budget.

PM if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heres a list of companies -

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ipu/archive2001.html

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

Before you share your idea fully with potential producers, backers, or production companies make them sign a non-use/non-disclosure agreement. There are plenty of "friendly" sharks out there.
    This is essential if you think the idea has exceptional merit. You may have already done this. Hope so.

Keep or negotiate your rights as a creator/producer-director. You could co-produce it even without extensive production experience. Most producing is good business administration with creative types on a managing director level anyway.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Before you share your idea fully with potential producers, backers, or production companies make them sign a non-use/non-disclosure agreement. There are plenty of "friendly" sharks out there.
    This is essential if you think the idea has exceptional merit. You may have already done this. Hope so.

Keep or negotiate your rights as a creator/producer-director. You could co-produce it even without extensive production experience. Most producing is good business administration with creative types on a managing director level anyway.

A.

Meeeh no offence or anything thats something thats rarly used in IMO experience. It's more common with major hollywood studios then the nuts n bolts of irish tv production

If you are concerned, (and every lecturer in college and script writing tutor I've had recommended this simple tool) get a copy of your proposal/script. Get the front page of two or three newspapers, put them in an envelope and post them to yourself/ and a copy to your solicitor. to your solicitor include a do not open/ scrawled on the front.

Now if an issue arises about the script and the time of origin you have cast iron evidence of what date you came up with the concept. Combine that with your phone bill if the production company calls you you'l have some solid evidence to back you up if you have a case.

Furthermore on an aside the irish industry is just too insular, that kind screw over may happen in the US and lead to law suits in this country companies just wouldn't survive if they frequently engaged in.

DeV I'd pm you but apparently according to feedback you've got several thousand unanswered pms, you know me from old gaelcon days, and i've worked in the irish industry tv/industry for around five years now.

If you need to pick someones brains gissus a pm and maybe I can point you in the right direction

If you're remotely organised and a business you'll have phone records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Devore, I have a lot of experience in this, if you want to know more, PM me I'll let you know what I know. Spent most of the last two years between production houses here & in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Devore if you need help in relation to the questions asked and best way to go about it, PM me i am working in that area at the moment!

Advertisement