Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 Prices ???

Options
  • 10-02-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Has anyone purchased or priced .223 yet?
    Model & price if possible..

Cheers
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sharp shot

i just baught tikka t3 in 223 from the trading post in baltingglass at 9.50e found it to be brilliant after it brok in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Trapper John In Tulsk County roscommon, has sabattie in .223 for around 750. He also has remington.Dont know price of Remington.
    Give him a call, his very helpfull :) .
    His open after 2pm, Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Closed Thursdays. Open Saturday.
    Tel:0719639181. Mobile:0862433389.

hi dose any body know the bullet drop after 200 yards on sako sp in223 how mutch dose the bullet drop every 25 meaters or so would be nice to know if other people are getting the same as me what i get is not on any af balistics programs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

sharp shot wrote:
    hi dose any body know the bullet drop after 200 yards on sako sp in223 how mutch dose the bullet drop every 25 meaters or so would be nice to know if other people are getting the same as me what i get is not on any af balistics programs :confused:

Congratulations! You are well on the way to understanding ballistics i.e every rifle shoots differently. Best thing to do is check the Muzzle Velocity with a chronograph as stated velocities in ballistic programs and reloading manuals are only useful for the particular firearm and conditions under which they were tested. Secondly ,once you have the chronographed velocity, run it through your ballistic software and print it off,third, shoot at different ranges to compare against your print out. Remember, the information gathered by shooting at various distances is the most reliable info. So called "real world data". Have fun.

thanks mp that is what i am talking about what happens on paper dosent happen on live fire just wondering if other people get te same prob how good is ballistics software i now go off live fire every time some differents if go off paper software there would be a lot of misses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Terrier,
    I bought a CZ527 BRNO .223 brand new about four months ago for €800. That was just the rifle nothing else, since then with all bits & bobs it is now about €1,200. I have it zeroed for 180yds & it is accurate to a half inch grouping using Sako 55gr soft point rounds, just a quick question, if anyone knows, how far can I expect to drop a fox from using the above ammo? I am using a 10-40 x 50 scope so viewing distant targets is no problem. Cheers

TJ911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Trojan911 wrote:
    just a quick question, if anyone knows, how far can I expect to drop a fox from using the above ammo?
    Well, according to my ballistics software (Shoot! v3.0) it's still carrying about 200 FT-LBS of energy at 600 yards (around the same as a 45 grain Hornet at 200 yards), so it'll knock your fox if you're fit to hit him at that range. You'd have to deal with around 10 FEET of bullet drop though :D
    And the wind drift would be pretty spooky too.

More realistically-
    For a 4 inch target area (fox sized stuff) it recommends setting zero at 210 yards, giving a point blank range of about 250 yards, and it'll hit about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.
    So, provided you do your bit in estimating ranges and wind and can hold the gun steady enough, you're probably good for 300 yards or so. That'd be an 8 inch hold over with a 210 yard zero.

It's up to you to decide if you are capable of consistently taking these sort of shots to humanely dispatch your prey.

Personally, I know I'd be looking to keep it under 200 yards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thanks for that Rovi, I think I will keep it at 180yds for the time being.

TJ911...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Military 5.56mm rounds are fired at 300m in semi-auto with a 1.5x scope and get 8-12" groups no problems. So i would have thought a decent bolt action with a better scope could do alot better. Then again im no expert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Tikka T3 Tactical - €1500 in the midlands and Galway area :D
    That's not bad as the main UK dealer GMK is £1250

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Is the Tactical worth 500/600 more then the T3 Varmint. As far as I can tell the threaded barrel, rail and adjustable cheek piece are the only real difference.

Advertisement