Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Modification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's not a case of "I have a powerful emotion now. I must go get a piercing to remember this by!" kind of thing. It's like I can look at any of my piercings in a few years time and look back on the person I was at that particular time or what I was feeling like and how I've changed in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

But, IMO, a lump of metal in your ear won't help you remember the type of person you were. A diary would be a much better idea, If thats what you want them for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Aye dude, but it's just your opinion, leave It Wasn't Me with his. I'd agree with him personally: for instance, my nipple is marked by the fact that I got it done during CTYI last year. It wasn't to mark the time, it was just convenient because I was in Dbulin and there are no good piercers here, but because I got it done then I always remember it part of that time.

Yeah. I was thinking of doing that in a common room this year for the laugh and shock factor. :p Piercings are exactly like a diary only they're relative to an event rather than describing it.

But you got it done because you thought it would look nice. And then after you applied a meaning to it!

Thats a very different thing. I could apply that logic to the scar i have on my lip. It was when i fell up the stairs, but under your logic i could claim that it reminds me of living in Turkey and being three!

• Advertisement

My whole poit is that you can. I have a six inch scar on my arm that reminds me of people I don't really know anymore because I got it playing football with them.

But I cant understand how you can see a piece of metal as important.

btw I'm not trying to get at you Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ya i can't see how piercings can be sentimental or meaningful, tattoos are so much better for that type of thing. I'm planning on getting a small "where when why how" tatto on my inside arm, the history of my life thusfar.,. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

What type?

btw i saw you in town with a lady friend on Wednesday.

prince albert?.. and female versh...

u did? up around the green? if i had a big black cellocase then it would have been carly cullen of nevermore fame..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I only have my lobes anf left helix done, but I definitely want more. I only want them for aesthetic reasons though. I want my right lip, two more left helixes, a right helix, two more lobal piercings, my eyebrow and that bit below my lip between it and my chin. (I know you told me the word for that Dave but I forgot it) I want them purely because I like the way they look.

The thing is, my parents are NOT happy about me wanting to get so much pierced. My Mum keeps saying it looks 'rough' and will make me look like a 'gurrier'. My Dad's the same but probably wouldn't object to my lobes and more helixes. My mum said she might consider me getting a few more ear piercings when I'm sixteen....but that's ages away! And everything else has to wait 'till I'm eighteen. Damn my youth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

I remember Carly, how is she? But on to the topic at hand:

"Ok sunshine,get yourself to the Piercings and tattoo forums before you come out with idiotic quotes like that.
    Piercers go through two years of training before they are even allowed touch someone with a needle. Blood-borne pathogen diplomas and full nerve/blood vessel training to name but a few things you have to learn." -Garth V

Before you call someone idotic, you should probably consider whether or not you yourself are in fact an idiot. People's reasons for getting inked of pierced are their own and it's certainly not anyone's place to think they know best when it comes to personal calls on your own body.

HOWEVER, piercings are potentially very dangerous no matter how "well-trained" the piercer is, and the industry isn't particularly well-regulated, so the two year rule isn't always obeyed strictly. There are quite a few major nerves in your tongue, and several decent sized blood vessels too. You can never be totally sure that some damage won't be done to your tongue if you get it pierced. And that's an opinion you can take to the money bank.

PS- Tongue piecings are sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

My parents don't care as long as 1. I'm 18, 2. It'll make me happy and 3. I won't regret it. For the sake of making a list:

Ashley
    Off-centre labret
    Bridge
    Tongue
    Smiley
    Navel
    Possibly pocketing on my right arm
    Nostril, maybe a double nostril(not both nostrils, two in one nostril)
    One nipple and...other...places
    Left ear: three to four lobe(one stretched 4mm maybe), daith, 5 to 6 helixes
    Right ear: Tragus, four lobe, anti-tragus, double rook, inner conch, helix to helix industrial
    I might throw a snug in there somewhere.

Anti-eyebrows look nice, but I doubt I'd get one, as do austin bars, but I'd assume very few people can pull them off.

I just checked what anti-eyebrows and Austins are.

Both are unusual enough piercings. not a big fan of either!

Nobody knows what a labia is. Jesus people. Aine: wow thats a lot planned o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

....but that's ages away! And everything else has to wait 'till I'm eighteen. Damn my youth.

they're probably just concerned that you'll regret it later on and they want to make sure you really want it and that it's not a phase you'll regret carrying out later on.
    just to clarify - i'm not saying at ALL that it's right for them to forbid it, i just think i could see where they are coming from.
    and if you are positive about wanting piercings, then, honestly, 18 isn't that far away.
    and you're the same person with or without the piercings, anyway.

(on the subject of nipple piercings, tho- one of my friends got hers done, and one got infected. it was sad how much pain she was in. :eek: )

edibility wrote:
    Nobody knows what a labia is. Jesus people. Aine: wow thats a lot planned o_O

I do. its your lower lips. Why do you assume no ones knows that?

Eep Hannah :s nasty, that was a huge fear of mine. Yeah, I know what you mean about the eighteen thing though, for me seventeen is the equivalent though as I'll be in college and independent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GlitterB

Liquorice wrote:

Ashley
    Off-centre labret
    Bridge
    Tongue
    Smiley
    Navel
    Possibly pocketing on my right arm
    Nostril, maybe a double nostril(not both nostrils, two in one nostril)
    One nipple and...other...places
    Left ear: three to four lobe(one stretched 4mm maybe), daith, 5 to 6 helixes
    Right ear: Tragus, four lobe, anti-tragus, double rook, inner conch, helix to helix industrial
    I might throw a snug in there somewhere.

Anti-eyebrows look nice, but I doubt I'd get one, as do austin bars, but I'd assume very few people can pull them off.
    wow you are gonna be a nightmare walking thru those metal detectors at the airport!!aside from tht good luck with all the piercings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

eh dave, piercings are nothing like a diary. try writing on your arm for some form of body modification-remembering-eventedness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

eh dave, piercings are nothing like a diary. try writing on your arm
    .....with indian ink

• Advertisement

Matthew: comment about the "female" prince albert from someone else, cba going back to check :) mentalimplosion....don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

edibility wrote:
    Aine: wow thats a lot planned o_O

It'll cost a fortune, and I probably won't be getting them all done, especially 'cause it might infringe on job prospects, but its what I'd like done.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

GlitterB wrote:
    wow you are gonna be a nightmare walking thru those metal detectors at the airport!!aside from tht good luck with all the piercings!!
    I've never set off a metal detector,they aint that sensitive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GlitterB

sickle wrote:
    I've never set off a metal detector,they aint that sensitive...
    ok well i was just speaking from personal xperience :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

edibility wrote:
    Matthew: comment about the "female" prince albert from someone else, cba going back to check
    that would have been me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

A friend of mine got her nipple done (under what circumstances, I don't know) but whatever happened, it got infected and half her nipple fell off. Which didn't sound like fun at all.

But yes, I'd quite like a ring on the left side of my lower lip and couple more piercings in my ears. The only problem with this being that I act, and a facial piercing will automatically make everything harder for me if I plan to make a career out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah, me too but I'd say a lot of makeup would conceal any holes. The real problem would be piercings that heal up quickly like tongue and eyebrow piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

Oh, I'm not saying facial piercings mean you can never be an actor, but you're not making life easier for yourself. Directors take one look at you and their first thought will be 'Lip ring?' and if it comes down to you and one other person for the part, the one without a hole in their face (unless it actually suits the part, of course) is more likely to be cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

wow, havent been here in ages, its so strange and futuristic.hello.
    ive gotten acouple done and so many plans:
    industrial(flirting with the idea of a 3- point)
    a few other random ear piercings.
    septum(but id settle for a nostril)
    lip
    tattoo of the zeppelin symbols (smallish on my back)
    tattoo of loosh (shoulder)
    and im still keen on the idea of a suspension. :D

• Advertisement

Its Guy! Hi Guy!

Advertisement