Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card game

Options
  • 10-02-2005 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

i am developing a card game in c++ i am having a row with oone of my mates about poker, if lets say 2 is wild and you get 4 kings so in your hand you have 5 kings, do this beat a royal flush????? prob never happen but just for clarity?? any thoughts we have nearly gone to blows over it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

try the poker forum tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smear1 wrote:
    i am developing a card game in c++ i am having a row with oone of my mates about poker, if lets say 2 is wild and you get 4 kings so in your hand you have 5 kings, do this beat a royal flush????? prob never happen but just for clarity?? any thoughts we have nearly gone to blows over it.
    I don't think you can have a 5 King hand.

If 2's are wild, then it's ok to have 3 Kings and a two *and* another player has the final King (making 5 Kings), but it's not possible for one player to have more than 4 of a kind.

[Edit:

Spank my ass and call me Alice:
    http://www.webterrace.com/cards/poker.htm#These - This says otherwise, and that a five of a kind is the highest hand in poker.
    Seems like a stupid way to play Poker to me, but who am I?

You may want to ask in the Poker forum for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You can have 5 of a kind, and it is the highest hand. But no self-respecting poker player uses wild cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Yes 5 of a kind does beat a royal flush. But why would you play with a wild card? For the sake of your wallet avoid getting into trouble with that extra card!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

parameterise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

MrPinK wrote:
    You can have 5 of a kind, and it is the highest hand. But no self-respecting poker player uses wild cards.

Thats absolute nonsense MrPink, Omaha or 7-Stud played with two jokers for cash is one of the finest forms of poker you can play, it can be a real test of skill when played with other good players. Take the €500 dealers choice game the other week in the Fitz. That was close to having jokers brought out for some games. And that game was full of some of the best cash game players in the country.

5 of a kind is a "pyramid" /\, afaik. And in some games can still be beaten by a Royal flush (but not Str8 flush).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Mathematically speaking (might have missed something, but I think this is close enough):

Odds of being dealt 5 of a kind: KKKK2 has 4 combinations (KKKK x remaining 2's). So for all 5 of a kind (33332 to AAAA2) => 4 combinations by 12 ranks = 48 combs. Assuming 52 card deck, then 52C5 possible combs = 2598960. So probability of being dealt 5 of a kind = 48/2598960, giving odds of 54144 to 1 against.

Odds of being dealt Royal flush: Take AKQJT, any four of these can be combine with one of the remaining 2's to give a royal flush dealt. This is (5C4)x4 = 20 combs. Multiply by 4 for all suits = 80 combs. Add in the 4 royal normal royal flush hands to give 84 possible combs. So probability of being dealt Royal flush = 84/2598960, giving odds of 30939 to 1 against.

So maths-wise, 5 of a kind is a better hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mathematically speaking (might have missed something, but I think this is close enough):

Odds of being dealt 5 of a kind: KKKK2 has 4 combinations (KKKK x remaining 2's). So for all 5 of a kind (33332 to AAAA2) => 4 combinations by 12 ranks = 48 combs. Assuming 52 card deck, then 52C5 possible combs = 2598960. So probability of being dealt 5 of a kind = 48/2598960, giving odds of 54144 to 1 against.

Odds of being dealt Royal flush: Take AKQJT, any four of these can be combine with one of the remaining 2's to give a royal flush dealt. This is (5C4)x4 = 20 combs. Multiply by 4 for all suits = 80 combs. Add in the 4 royal normal royal flush hands to give 84 possible combs. So probability of being dealt Royal flush = 84/2598960, giving odds of 30939 to 1 against.

Nice one.

Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RexFerator

No good at math...but what about when you take in to account KKK22 or KK222...i would think that would change the odds...how it does that exactl though, i'll leave up to someone smarter to figure out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

RexFerator wrote:
    No good at math...but what about when you take in to account KKK22 or KK222...i would think that would change the odds...how it does that exactl though, i'll leave up to someone smarter to figure out

Good point... I was assuming only one wild card allowed. Of course, these new combinations would mean that hands like AsKs222 also have to be considered. Supposed to be working at the moment, and dying with standard Monday hangover, but might have a stab at this later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement