Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pressing button when pulling handbrake?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mackerski wrote:
    Quick version: because it'll pass you your test, should you still need to. (And I can't see how you would have passed without using the handbrake when stopped in traffic).
    Yes and no. In traffic, it's considered good practice to apply the handbrake, and then release it (or be prepared to release it) when you see the rest of the traffic moving off. If you're on the flat, and at the front of the queue, it's considered good practice to not use your handbrake, so as to avoid delays when taking off.

It's more a matter of judgement. If there's a small queue at the lights, and they go green as you approach the queue, good practice would be to not stop at all, rather control approach speed so you have no need to stop.

I can remember not using my handbrake on the test in such situations.

comanche wrote:
    1. putting on your handbrake does not help to prevent you from getting shunted from behind.
    No, but the logic behind is that some people may release their footbrake with the shock of getting shunted, and therefore will be pushed into the car in front. The odds of it are long, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

seamus wrote:
    Yes and no. In traffic, it's considered good practice to apply the handbrake, and then release it (or be prepared to release it) when you see the rest of the traffic moving off. If you're on the flat, and at the front of the queue, it's considered good practice to not use your handbrake, so as to avoid delays when taking off.

It's more a matter of judgement. If there's a small queue at the lights, and they go green as you approach the queue, good practice would be to not stop at all, rather control approach speed so you have no need to stop.

I can remember not using my handbrake on the test in such situations.

*phew* thanks for that - was almost beginning to think that I was the only person around that didn't use the handbrake everytime they stopped!

comanche wrote:
    *phew* thanks for that - was almost beginning to think that I was the only person around that didn't use the handbrake everytime they stopped!
    Well, I'm pretty sure everyone else here doesn't either, they're just telling you what *should* be done. While I'd be perfectly aware of what should be done when I drove a car, it was rare that I'd bother putting the handbrake on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

seamus wrote:
    Well, I'm pretty sure everyone else here doesn't either, they're just telling you what *should* be done.

I always use the handbrake when driving with manual transmission. I don't see how this would delay me when first in a line of traffic. My speedup tactic for this case is to stay in first gear - but doing this makes it doubly important to have the handbrake on.

My own car is automatic, and I have to say that I am not in the handbrake habit in automatic cars, though some people do consider it good practice. My excuse is that the first automatics I drove didn't have handbrakes. I don't think I'd be keen to sit in Drive with only the handbrake on anyway, even though I know that brake lights aren't nice to look at.

See also: http://www.driving-school.com.au/faq.asp

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just on a side note, if you have braked hard (really hard!) and then stop with your foot on the brakes, it is possible for your discs to warp as the area covered by the pads is cooling at a different rate to the rest of the disc.
    Hence (assuming you have rear discs & not drums!), you are better off using the handbrake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

comanche wrote:

I don't most of the time. unless I'm also stopping the engine, or on a slope or a long light. Now, I do not let it in gear, foot on clutch & ideling.
    As for being shunted from behind. If at low speed, nothing will happen. If at high speed, it does not matter, HB on or off won't amount to a hill of beans.
    the rear (braked) wheels will be lifted off the ground and have little or no traction anyway. The typical HB does not have much holding power, apply it, and try driving at the same time, the wheels will turn in most cars.
    You could try keeping a little larger gap between you and whatever is in front. However I have found ROI drivers in general will stop right on your rear bumper, so any nudge and the car behind in on top of you, HB or none.

Actually, there may be a good point to using the footbrake and having your rear lights ablaze when stopped. (odd, I have never noticed it as a problem or annoyance here. However, stuck on brake or rear fogs while driving on the highway I have)
    Have you ever encountered the situation where the following car "assumes" you are moving and drives into you.
    So lets say we have someone sitting at the lights, HB on. lighting a pipe, tuning the radio, whatever distraction occurs and the light goes from red to green, the equally absentminded follower does not know that you are asleep at the wheel and pulls off into the back of you.
    had your brake lights been on, they would have known you were still stopped.... and if they didnt, they should have... your lights were on.

As for the testers passing judgement on whether you use you HB inappropriately or not, that's one thing, on whether you click or do not click you HB or your nails is totally another and has no bearing on anything, any more than a spotless vs "driven in" car or the type of car, style of hair & clothes, personal habits, etc.

If the latter is found to be true, it should be reported as inappropriate, unless it can be seen as interfering with driving, like putting on make-up, shaving, changing clothes, etc.

mackerski wrote:
    I always use the handbrake when driving with manual transmission. I don't see how this would delay me when first in a line of traffic.
    Well, it *can*, obviously that's not the rule. If you're sitting there with your hand on the handbrake, ready to go, there shouldn't be an issue, but if like most drivers I see on the road, you're looking around, whistling to yourself and tapping out rhythyms on your steering wheel, you're going to lose 2-3 seconds in taking off than if you just had your foot on the brake.

Maybe the logic behind it doesn't assume that all drivers would be as observant and ready as yourself, perhaps more that if you're not changing gear or braking, then your hands would be on the steering wheel. Perhaps, who knows?

In general terms, I would say it's safe to assume that a driver with a handbrake on the lights will, in general, take longer to take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

seamus wrote:
    In general terms, I would say it's safe to assume that a driver with a handbrake on the lights will, in general, take longer to take off.

I'll agree with that.

Advertisement