Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with EA games?

Options
  • 10-02-2005 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Ive heard a lot of griping and aggression towards EA games in this forum, I myself dont have any major complaints against them so why do you hate them so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

Tails wrote:
    Ive heard a lot of griping and aggression towards EA games in this forum, I myself dont have any major complaints against them so why do you hate them so?
    nothin wrong with ea games i think they make savage games such as nfsu2.
    brill game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For taking the originality out of gaming and destroying some of the best developement teams after buying them up. I admit that they don't make all bad games. But their constant updates annoy me and the way they make their games 'cooler' by adding loads of new rock and rap to the soundtracks and having an annoying DJ. Not so bad on the xbox if a customisable soundtrack option is present. but I pity the few who are playing Burnout 3 on the PS2. As for developers they have destroyed just look at Maxis and Bullfrog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

in brief:
    They make bad games and have enough marketing power to ensure that they still sell well. It's annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

col22 wrote:
    .. they make savage games such as nfsu2.
    brill game!

your taking the piss right??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've no major gripe with ea either bar the fact that they seem to release quite buggy and unbalanced games just to get it to market.

take BF vietnam for example, its first release has the m60 with ridiculous accuary and you get a LAW also. i've no idea how this got through testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

fifa....
    what a waste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Goldeneye is the one that gets on my nerves the most. Its a terrible game selling off the name of a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

them stupid yearly updates get on my nerves so much,

they take over smaller design houses and force them to release games faster leading to a unpolished game.

no one has mention THE SIMS yet.

worst idea for a game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Its like they try to sell everygame with a silly gimmick.
    Take for example fifa 2005, great graphics etc. but the selling point this year was "one touch football"?? what a load of crap. Obviously having a great first touch in footie is important, but everytime you use the "first touch" button, the player does a ridiculous trick. Then its marketed everywhere, all day every day.

Compare that to the amazing Pro Evolution Soccer 4, where gameplay is the important part, tricks and fancy stuff come second.

in the general public people like fifa more because it's got "the names", which is ****ing the worst excuse for liking a game ever.

gameplay should and always come first like with pro evo (now there's a yearly game update i don't mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Cremo wrote:
    in the general public people like fifa more because it's got "the names", which is ****ing the worst excuse for liking a game ever.

gameplay should and always come first like with pro evo (now there's a yearly game update i don't mind)

Indeed, and there is a huge community of modders (making proper kits etc.) out there who make patches for pro evo which look fantastic, saving konami a bloody fortune me thinks.

But your right, gameplay should be the most important part, not Thierry Henry looking almost real in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

While it hasn't affected me severely or anything, EA's exclusive deal with both the NFL and ESPN pisses me off the most, monopolising bastards.

Just when you thought that Sega had really become a major player in the sports field with their arguably superior sports games and highly competitive price point ($20: me like!), the two EA deals just completely wiped them out of the game. The ESPN license is not even planned to being used extensively.

Now anyone who wants to buy an NFL game will have to turn to EA's Madden. No more NFL Blitz or NFL 2K games...

...hope they don't buy the FIFA license again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

That should read whats wrong with SOME EA games, Battle for middle earth would be a good example of what EA is doing to some games, very nice to look at but dumbed down and pandering, however some like SSX are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I thought SSX3 became very repetitive and felt like just another snowboard game with massive jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Cremo wrote:
    no one has mention THE SIMS yet.
    worst idea for a game ever.

However it is the biggest selling game of all time ...
    EA are laughing all the way to the baknk on that one.

The problem with EA [besides the way they work their employees ;) ] is that a lot of games are rushed inorder to meet deadlines so games can be launched when they will sell at peak times of the year. So if a game comes out and its buggy its not going to be a good impression as a buggy game was released.

This happens to a lot of software publishers however, dont forget that.

Also, lets not forget the little places. EA have a very agressive takeover policy. For example they are trying to buy DICE Sweden, their irst bit was rejected so they are now becoming aggressive and starting to buy shares etc. Remember Bullfrog and names like that? EA swollowed them up, like a big dirty whore.

Also, lets not forget them churning out FIFA after FIFA and such games year after year so that people will keep buying them to keep "up to date". What a waste. Then again, they are a company in a competitive business and want to make money. What do you expect? They are from corporate America.

And no more origin. I loved their games. Especially the crusader games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

There are very few companies who don't release yearly updates of their games. EA are not unusual for that. Especially when it comes to sports games, where fans want the new season's stats. There's a huge market for those yearly updates, and EA are just meeting demand. They don't force anyone to buy the latest Madden or FIFA or whatever, there'd be a hell of a lot of complaints if they suddenly stopped releasing them.

Their games are generally above average, an 'EA Sports' logo is pretty much a guarantee of quality, an 'EA Games' logo maybe not so much but there's still a lot of decent games they've released. People who slate them for the lack of originality(which is generally true) also criticise them for the Sims, one of the most original games ever. Maxis were throwing out half-assed 'Sim' spin-offs since long before they joined EA, the partnership certainly hasn't hurt them.

The one thing I have a major issue with is the buying of the NFL license. That certainly can't be a good thing for the American Football genre long term. Having said that Madden is a consistently brilliant series so I don't think there's that much to worry about, but it's a pity because the NFL 2kx series was really getting close. They're not the only company to have done such things, Sony have the exclusive rights to F1 in recent years which annoys me because, unlike EA, their game isn't worthy of the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IM not into the whole ES sports thing, if i like a sport i`ll just go and play it for real. But i cant go back to WW2 to kill Nazi`s thats what I have computer games for!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my gripe is that they are too big...

no other company has the power to destroy a console...only EA. They said they wouldnt make any games for the dreamcast and that killed a really good console. No company should ever have that sort of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Heres some of the the 2005 lineup...sequels and continuations of there cash cow series :rolleyes:

007 game (Goldeneye rouge agent) : From Russia With Love.
    SSX tricky 4
    Burnout 4
    Fight Night Round 2
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2005
    NBA Street V3
    Timesplitters Future Perfect
    FIFA Football 2006
    Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire
    The Urbz 2
    Need for Speed: Wanted
    Battelfield 2

Hopefully they wont fcuk up BF2, as thats pretty much the only one im looking forward to.... :confused:

Also their trying to buy more shares in Ubisoft which they have 20% of already, no doubt they have there eye on the splinter cell franchise among others....

CC

• Advertisement

BF2 will be good but the rest of them are just yearly updates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

EA destroyed the Command & Conquer franchise. They must die. Horribly. Savaged by starved, rabid gerbils in a small broom-closet.

I don't think BF2 will be much more than a DC update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

CombatCow wrote:
    Heres some of the the 2005 lineup...sequels and continuations of there cash cow series :rolleyes:

007 game (Goldeneye rouge agent) : From Russia With Love.
    SSX tricky 4
    Burnout 4
    Fight Night Round 2
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2005
    NBA Street V3
    Timesplitters Future Perfect
    FIFA Football 2006
    Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire
    The Urbz 2
    Need for Speed: Wanted
    Battelfield 2

Hopefully they wont fcuk up BF2, as thats pretty much the only one im looking forward to.... :confused:

Also their trying to buy more shares in Ubisoft which they have 20% of already, no doubt they have there eye on the splinter cell franchise among others....

CC

some of these listed are next gen only like burnout 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ciaran500 wrote:

You be quiet!

Even if it is, I'll be playing it, DC rocks. The videos so far look excellent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ciaran500 wrote:
    What are you looking for? New 4D gaming in it or something?

Something new or different not just another EA update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Lemming wrote:
    EA destroyed the Command & Conquer franchise. They must die. Horribly. Savaged by starved, rabid gerbils in a small broom-closet.

O god yes, i forgot about that, poor C&C, EA fcuked them up good :(

And now RA3 with the same generals "sage" engine.... WHY!!!!!!!

:mad:

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

While I don't like EA and what they are trying to do to the game industry, I don't think they did such a bad job on c&c Generals. Sure it was completely lacking in the c&c look, charm and humour we were all used to, and sure enough the timing of the release couldn't have been any more distasteful, but it was still a very good strategy game with an excellent multi player mode-it was no red alert though....Also remember they did publish yuri's revenge, which rocked.

Other than those I can't actually remember any EA games i have enjoyed in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they published red alert 2 did they not? thats a great game!

see i cant say they have pants games only cause thats a lie. burnout 3 is amazing and im sure the 4th will be better. from what ive heard BF is amazing!

my main gripe with EA is their taking over the sports area cause they suck at it now except for madden. i mean the espn nhl game is amazing and BAM! EA buy the rights. Nba st V3 looks pretty damn cool imo. hopefully TS:FP is good!so far it's looking good and gory and fun.

no doubt theyll screw up the new bond game and the new fifa game.

they just know they can make money off some of their bigger games so they cut corners. thats one thing i hate about em. the only recent EA game I own is burnout 3 and that wasnt even supposed to be published by them origianlly.

Advertisement