Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Assigning network packets to applications

• 10-02-2005 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Dont know if I should add this here or the networks section but anyway...

We have a WinXP machine here thats generating a lot of outward packets
    that dont seem to have any relevance to what the machine is doing. I've
    run adaware, spybot, etc and norton anti-virus and they only show up
    a few cookies and thats it.

I've run ethereal on it, and I can see the dns requests and other traffic
    being generated, and I've run anti-spy.info to check the running processes,
    but I cant tell what process/application is generating this traffic...

So... I'm just wondering if there is an application that shows packets that
    are generated from a machine, and also what application is responsible for
    generating the packets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

if you run netstat -a from a dos command window you can see which ports are opening and communicating. By default there are quite a few of (almost) useless traffic outbound. If worried get Zonealarms personal fiewall from zonelabs - it is free and will block unnneded traffic. i have it installed even though i am behind a corporate firewall and works great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Have a look at TCP view from sysinternals (it's free)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
    It's pretty good, not as low level as ethereal, it'll only show you what apps are actively accessing the net, not specific packet info... but it does the trick and has a more digestable UI than something running from the command line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

When you try to access any website there's about 8 steps, first contacting the dns, confirmation, contacting the site, resolving host name etc., looks like a lot of packets flying about but that's normal :)

But as gibo_ie said if you're really concerned try zone alarm it blocks everything then asks you what you do and don't want to access the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I used TCPView and it seems to be skype that was generating most of the traffic. I've shut it down and things seem to be much better. I'll leave it be for a while and see whether things remain as are or return to the way they were.

Cheers...

Advertisement