Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a friend in need

• 10-02-2005 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi guys i'm kinda new to all this linux
    have managed to download ISO iimages and load onto my machine at home
    alongside dare i say that dreaded word (windows 2000).
    Am trying to set up DNS for a small private internal network.Can anybody
    give me a good guide or has anybody out there done it.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sounds like you're dual-booting. If so, using this Linux install for DNS is probably a bad idea - what will your network do for a DNS server when the Linux instance isn't running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

For dns i found this guide very usefull
    http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/bind9-chroot.html

there are loads of other guides but that one also explains simply how to get
    bind setup in a chroot jail, which has security positives.

but tbh the o'reilly book is excellent and invaluble if you plan to take care of the dns server for a while..
    its really is worth the 30odd euro youll pay for it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001584/qid=1108076480/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0082980-1970048

Oh and bind runs on windows and linux, but iv never tried the windows one
    so iv no idea what its like.

there other dns servers out there which may be easier to setup,
    but i found bind to be reasonably easy to set up and get my head around (i was in the exact same situation as you).
    And bind is free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ajaxed

this is not mission ctitical just experimental and educational, setting up a fictional office, run from linux, but need my windows for the moment until i get familiar with the great open source.

what i ideally want to achieve is a complete set of services, ftp, nis, dns,
    web server, proxy, gateway and firewall on my red hat 9 box for a supposed office of 10 to 20 machines running windows xp.
    have got rh9 bible.
    if anyone has experience of rh9 version would appreciate your input as where to start off, and what to implement first.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Apologies for not answering the question you asked, but if what you're looking for is an all-in-one gateway solution, ClarkConnect may be just what you need. Version 3 has just been released.

If you're doing this as a purely educational exercise rather than a preparation for the real thing, you're probably on the right track, so ignore me!

• Advertisement

am checking out clarkconnect looks good

yeah what about that apathy forum

Advertisement