Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6800GT or X800pro?

Options
  • 10-02-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Looks like my 9800pro is about to be consigned to the silicon valley in the sky and now have to take out a bank loan for a new 3D card. Looking at either of the two mentioned in the title, just wondering if anyone has any advice one way or the other outside of the doom3/hl2 debate (for the record i am in the hl2 camp)

Also i think i will go from komplett, if i go for the ati is there any difference between the sapphire and the Powercolor?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

even though i have an x800xt i would recommend you get the 6800gt ,as far as i know this call has knocked the spots off the pro ...as far as hl2 is concerned normally the ATI cards do better with that game and the gt will do better in the likes of doom 3 ...hope this helps...have a look on google

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=6800gt+vs+x800+pro&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

6800gt mate has the agp version and even that kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Thanks guys, will keep ya posted. All I have to do now is get the ATI tattoo off my 'special' place and I will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

6800gt mate has the agp version and even that kicks ass.

Why would it be any slower? A graphics card can't fill the available bandwidth in AGP, so PCI-E will not make any difference.

EDIT: Most tests put the 6800GT about 5 frames infront of the X800Pro. This would be a negligable difference, but I'd still go with the GT.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Tough one to decide.

Looking at the X800XT (AGP or PCI-E) or the X850XT (PCI-E only for now) performance seems minimal between those 2. But there better cards than the Geforce 6800 Ultra on its own (none sli) and all 3 are around the same price priced. When I say better I mean in the majority of games particular with anti aliasing and anistropic filtering. The ATI cards overclock easily enough to platinum speeds too. The 6800 series advantage of supporting pixel shader and vertex shader 3.0 seems for the moment a non event. Only Far Cry (patched) and the combat flight sim Pacific fighters support it and even at that PF is unplayable with those enabled. PCI-E 6800 cards seem to have gone up in price I think largely due to SLI features. I don't really think SLI is worth at the moment and if your that way inclined I woud recommend getting one card now and wait a while before buying the second. Although 6600GT is cheap to build a SLI rig (under €600). Better Opengl support on the Geforce 6600/6800 so there better for linux users.

X800PRO is similary priced to the 6800GT but performs worse(not much) so it would seem like a no-brainer.

X800XL (PCI-E) has appeared. Now it offers performance very close to the 6800GT but alot cheaper. Your taking about just over €300 compared to around just over €400 for the 6800GT.

Basic message here is don't get the X800PRO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

HDR support coming for Half Life 2 in a patch soon! wooooooooo!

Moral of the story, get the GT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Have the 6800GT myself and have to say it runs both Doom3 and HL2 like a dream! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

id prefer to have your pussy cat tho!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I'd prefer to be the pussy cat!

gt btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

so to recap.
    6800GT is better than x800pro , the x800xt is better than the 6800ultra and the x850xt is the best.

would be interested to know what people thought of Powercolor myself.

• Advertisement

I've a powercolor 9700 and I hasn't given me any problem. They all work off the same reference deisign so there shouldn't be any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I've a powercolor 9700 and I hasn't given me any problem. They all work off the same reference deisign so there shouldn't be any difference.

unless you're planning to overclock, powercolors don't use the same ram as the other manufactuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

ok the reason i ask about powercolor is, I had a crapy 9200 a while ago and i OC it a bit to much and the ram burned out. may it was just a bad card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Gt

Looks like its the GT so, switched cards last night to verify that it is the 9800pro that is the problem and it is! FFS i paid $400 for that 18months ago.

Gonna order it next week once my loan hits my CC account, and while I am at it I will get another 512MB RAM to make the most of it.

Just a side note, when i switched cards to the 5200 which is heat sink cooled, the sound difference was amazing. It was like a library compared to the vacuum sound my 9800 gives out. I can expect more of the same with the GT huh?

Thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

Cremo wrote:
    unless you're planning to overclock, powercolors don't use the same ram as the other manufactuers.

was planning to overclock my powercolor 9800pro when i got some time...hadnt realised it had poor ram :(

il still give it a go to see what i can get out of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SpooN_9k wrote:
    was planning to overclock my powercolor 9800pro when i got some time...hadnt realised it had poor ram :(

il still give it a go to see what i can get out of it anyway

well it's not that it has complete crap memory, it's they don't use the same better quality stuff as say asus (too expensive for my liking) or sapphire (best all rounder in my opinon).

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I love my 6800GT!!!!!!!!! even if my mobo only supports 4x AGP.... But Im upgrading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There will be no speed difference between 4x and 8x.

Sorry guys but I have another question regarding RAM. Was browsing this afternoon looking for suitable ram for my 8300 and came across this statement from the dell forums.

'Dimension 8300 systems using DDR PC3200 memory operate with a memory bus speed of 400 Mhz.
    If you are upgrading your 8300 system with DDR PC3200 memory, only memory with Cas Latency 3 or CL3 rating should be used.

DDR PC3200 memory from other manufacturers may work at the rated clock and memory bus speed so long as it is CL 3. Using memory with CL 2.5 or CL 2 may result in the memory bus slowing to 333Mhz'

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_upghw&message.id=11440

Is this true or is it scaremongering to buy dell only parts?

• Advertisement

It can't be scaremongering because if you buy CL2 ram from Dell it will still slow to 333Mhz.

Advertisement