Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VoiceComms

• 10-02-2005 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

Right.

Alot of ye (particularly Anima etc.) seem to want Ventrilo.
    I have Ventrilo, but I haven't set it up on binary because it's a bit of a bitch.
    I'll see if the windows server is easier to do.

I run TeamSpeak2 on Binary. It works. It can be easily stopped, started and restarted if needed. It has a nice web interface for admining.
    I might have a fiddle with it and set the default codec to the highest quality/bandwidth one.
    SPEEX is a very good codec for voice compression.
    I think the reason alot of the ventrilo fans don't like TeamSpeak is because no-one ever sets up the channel default codec correctly, so you're using the shítty crackly ones, which I agreee are terrible.
    My mike was "borrowed" by a guy at one of the previous lans so I've been unable to use voice comms so I can't really comment from experience, but at the next lan I'd like to give them both a proper testing using the best quality settings.

This will be very subjective as different people will speak more/less clearly than others and you'll probably be using a variety of mics of varying quality.

VoiceComms are rather important, particularly at the last lan where we were split between two rooms.
    Unfortunately, alot of people who come to the lans don't use this forum.
    Hopefully with Sniipe's intranet site we can put together a list of what servers are runnin where and everyone will be connected.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ventrillo is rather easy to set up.
    theres a text file where you edit the server data, ie port, codec, and admin password.
    everything else like creating channels can be made once in vent
    and ip is automatically assigned when its started.
    i had it running and once i convinced myself that my ip was 43 and not 33 everything was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Won't be at the next lan, don't care ^_^

On a less childish note, me and caliden, ruffty and anima used ventrilo without a hitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Yea.

On a more childish note, caliden kept making ventrilo talk phonetically. He could type in crap and it would say it back to us with hilarious results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mashing his moist brown fingers into the Speak 'n Spell...
    "AlerT Phone Home"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

hehe :)

Vent is probably easier in the long run, especially for people who've never used it before as all they have to do is assign a talk key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I used ventrilio for the first time recently, and it was piss simple to use. As anima said; just assign a talk key and away u go.

Advertisement