Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reyes

• 11-02-2005 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=255340&CPID=23&CLID=&lid=3&title=Reyes+in+radio+hoax&channel=Premiership
    Jose Antonio Reyes has been involved in a radio hoax in Spain, where he was tricked into admitting his desire to join Real Madrid.
    Spanish station Cope Radio pulled off the amazing hoax, by claiming to be Real's sporting director Emilio Butragueno.
    Cope Radio contacted Reyes's agent, who in turn informed the Arsenal man to speak to the pranksters claiming to be the Madrid chief.
    During the conversation, Reyes admitted to life being 'not great' at Arsenal - confirming growing rumours that he is not settled in North London.
    Reyes later went on to say that he would be happy to join Real and that he had always dreamed of playing for Real Madrid.
    The Spanish giants had just denied reports of a swap deal involving Michael Owen moving to Arsenal in order to sign Reyes.
    The former Sevilla man had himself said that he was concentrating on winning things at Highbury, despite being flattered with Real's interest.
    This latest stunt is sure to anger all parties, and Reyes is thought to be considering legal action against the hoaxers.

Now thats a rumour starter if I've ever heard one :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I wouldnt be surpirsed to see it happen. Owen would be a great capture for Arsenal, his pace would fit right into their style, yet he is the type of player they need, a goal poacher.

Having said that, Owen has had a successful start to his La Liga career. I would be shocked to see him turn his back on it so early. However at Real Madrid its not always the players that make the decisions whether they stay or go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I think owen might leave tbh. They're buying robinho and possibly adriano. Thats not good news for owen, especially if they get reyes too. Im not sure why madrid would buy reyes though.

Amazing story btw. Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It was on Newstalk earlier too, my dad was in stitches when he heard it, and couldn't wait to tell me.

Wonder what's going on at Arsenal?

Cole talking to Chelsea, Reyes wanting away?

Curiouser and curiouser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

If Cole does leave its purely for financial gain. I could understand if he played for someone like Charlton where the move would be to progress his career but a move to Chelsea would neither be a step up or down, so why move? With an attitude like this Arsenal are better off without him. He must be a multi millionaire by now so football should be his motivating factor not money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

-
    Jose Antonio Reyes has confirmed his commitment to Arsenal after he was linked with a move back to Spain.

Recent media reports have suggested the 21-year-old striker, who arrived from Sevilla in January 2004, was a target for Real Madrid. But the Spanish international was eager to play down the idea and, instead, targeted a strong finish to the current campaign with Arsenal.

“I have seen stories in the media linking me with Real Madrid,” he said. “Of course it’s flattering but not only am I under contract at Arsenal, I am happy here and committed to helping the team win more trophies.

“The season is not over for us, we have much to play for and I am focussed on giving my best so we can finish in the strongest position possible.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Graham Hunter on newstalk also said that Reyes and hid girfriend have a lot of serious personal problems at the moment.

He is obviously not the brightest, falling for something like this. The most worrying thing for Arsenal though was him saying that he was surprised that Madrid had got back to him so quickly so he is obviously touting him in Spain.

Can't see Owen going to Highbury though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thinks its a bit harsh on Reyes to say he's "not the brightest". He's only 21 or whatever, his agent tells him Butrageuno wants to talk to him, and so he gets a call from someone purporting to be him. The poor chap didnt stand a chance. He should sack his agent, and let the agent sue the radio station.

As for why would Ashely Cole move?

Reportedly, he's on 27k per week at Arsenal. Chelsea will pay him 75k per week. Frankly, (if that is fact) he'd be mad not to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cole is in an odd situation:

Arsenal and Chelsea both have a decent chance of winning medals
    Both have a very good manager
    Both have a good young squad
    Both are in it for the long haul
    Arsenal won't pay him as much as he deserves
    He is loyal to arsenal

Two things are gona happen:
    Arsenal will pay him more
    Chelsea will be paying him more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wouldnt be surpirsed to see it happen.

Am I missing something here? It was a pratical joke! He's not going anywhere.

And people wonder why rumours start.

B.

It was a practical joke, which got him to admit that he is having trouble in arsenal and would welcome a move to Real Madrid.

• Advertisement

And he also admitted his agent had contacted Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes but he also said (going on news reports this morning) that he tired of the BAD people, not sure whether he meant at the club or in London.

Isn't there big rivalry between France and Spain - maybe he is talking about the French players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When I heard this last night it got me thinking. Why is it Arsenal players more than any other players in the Premiership that are constantly linked to transfer rumours? Granted the latest one is a hoax but all the same it does tend to happen a lot, rumours that is.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

On the topic of Owen - LFC surely have first option on his PL return.

Cough, Bazmo, bull****.
    United players linked to transfers this season:

Giggs - Inter
    Roanldo - Unsetlled
    Ruud - Real Madrid
    Rooney - everywhere
    Saha - some french club
    DD - Villa :)
    Kleberson - PSV
    O'Shea - Newcaslte
    Ferdinand - Chelsea
    Brown - Anywhere
    Caroll - Arsenal

----

Arsenal:

Vieira- Real
    Reyes - Real
    Cole - Chelsea
    Edu - Valencia

someone else please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Agree Arsenal are no different than most clubs regarding transfer speculation, infact as PHB pointed out they have been a lot quiter than otehr clubs this year, its part of the sport like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

irish1 wrote:
    Yes but he also said (going on news reports this morning) that he tired of the BAD people, not sure whether he meant at the club or in London.

Gary Neville is a bad man ?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it was a hoax on some madrid radio station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mossy Monk wrote:
    it was a hoax on some madrid radio station
    :eek:
    Meanwhile.....back at the ranch!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kida wrote:
    Graham Hunter on newstalk also said that Reyes and hid girfriend have a lot of serious personal problems at the moment.

He is obviously not the brightest, falling for something like this. The most worrying thing for Arsenal though was him saying that he was surprised that Madrid had got back to him so quickly so he is obviously touting him in Spain.

Can't see Owen going to Highbury though.

Well surely if youre gonna talk about "not the brightest" you should mention Gary Neville giving out about his own club sponsors....... ;)

Do you have to bring your hatred for Utd into every thread? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kida wrote:
    Do you have to bring your hatred for Utd into every thread? :mad:

You see I don't hate anything or anybody, but I do dislike the fact that you always point out players other than Man U players shortcomings.......

I made a comment about Reyes in a thread about Reyes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wonder who these bad people are at Arsenal (obviously players, most likely first team).
    "I wish I was playing for Real Madrid. If not, I'm going to have to carry on playing with some bad people. I'm sure there are none in the Real dressing room."

There's definitely something up at Arsenal. Its not just rumours. Edu, Lauren, Cole, Vieira and now Reyes have publicly admitted to seriously considering their future. Edu is off in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=255540&lid=NewsHeadline&sub=Wenger+-+Reyes+can+reach+full+potential+at+Highbury&navlid=&sublid=&Title=Wenger+-+Reyes+can+reach+full+potential+at+Highbury
    Arsène Wenger has brushed aside suggestions that Jose Antonio Reyes is unhappy at Arsenal and remains convinced the Spaniard will become “a super striker”.

This morning’s newspapers reported that the former Sevilla forward wanted to return home, with Real Madrid his favoured destination.

But at his usual pre-match press conference, Wenger remained phlegmatic about the story and insisted that the vastly-talented player he signed in January 2004 would come good at Highbury.

“We have gone into a challenge to make him one of the best players in the world,” said Wenger, “and we have gone into it together.

“But if you want to go abroad you have to accept it will not be easy and within these periods there are ups and down. If you ask Michael Owen [at Real Madrid] I’m sure he’ll say he has them.

“However my desire and commitment to keep the player is stronger than ever because I believe in him. I am convinced he will be a super striker.

“We have a good Spanish group at the Club and he has integrated well. He is loved by everybody here and we’ll help him through periods like this.

"If you had seen him in training today you would not believe it. He is completely happy. But I have been 21 and I might have said things like this when I didn’t play or score. Yet it does not mean I do not want the overall situation.”

I don't know, Wenger's response doesn't seem all that convincing to me. And why did he need to mention Owen in the piece? Seems too coincidental. I say Reyes for Owen will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

good business for arsenal if they get owen for reyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH honest I feel sorry for Reyes, he is young and he is homesick. He should seriously consider sacking his advisors for letting this situation occur. He is going to get an awful ribbing from the Arsenal crowd over this and unless he answers them in spectacular fashion during his next few games he will be in for a rough ride for the rest of the season. If this does occur I can see him being sold.

I wonder do the "bad people" comments have anything to do with what the Spanish manager said about Henry and are the French players taking it out on Jose?

If they did do the deal Owen would do very well at Arsenal as a goal poacher is exactly what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He has been homesick for a while, so this isnt really a shock.

i think his family are very reluctant to move to London. Dont see it as any major problems within Arsenal.

If cole leaves it will be for money, telling me a united player wouldnt consider a moe to chelsea if they were offered over twice what they were being paid?

Lauren signed a new deal, hardly a sign of a major problem in the club. Vieras been considering his career for years at this stage.

• Advertisement

Chucky, name one who would be wanted, then tell me if they'd move, gwan, name one :)

RVN is the only one i think would be wanted.

Alright, well I doubt that, but besides the point, is there any chance whatsoever that he'd leave utd?
    The guy is practically sleeping with Fergie, he loves him dearly, due to him helping him through his injury and ya know, making him one of the best strikers in the world.

Rio, is also dediccated to Utd, the new captain in a couple of years.
    Heinze, I'd imagine would be quite sought after, seems to love Utd as he just said in the news a couple of days ago.
    Slyvestre, Rooney, Ronaldo, people might be intersted :rolleyes:

Theres quite a bit of old dedication at Utd, and it used to happen at Arsenal. Maybe its because the players are worrieda bout squad depth, and Wenger doesn't seem to want to buy any quick fixes, too worried about pretty football.
    How they could have used Parlor or Keown this season

ah we all know footballers are never a very dedicated bunch. It would be very rare a player would turn down a move, specially if there going to an club on a equal level and if their wages will be increased.

Specially not a player who was bought, if a player came up through the ranks they might be i am fairly sure RVN would move if given the chance. I would say the same for rio aswell.

What in the world do you base this on?
    The fact he has said this:
    "I want to stay for the rest of my career and that is a great feeling for me."

After constant rumours of him going to Real Madrid?
    You've got some damm good logic there :)

didnt alan smith say he would never join united?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

didnt alan smith say he would never join united?

thats joining united, not leaving,its all downhill when you leave :D

smith couldn't resist the lure of joining united :D

eirebhoy wrote:

There's definitely something up at Arsenal. Its not just rumours. Edu, Lauren, Cole, Vieira and now Reyes have publicly admitted to seriously considering their future. Edu is off in the summer.

Maybe they are just ambitious to play for a big Club. :p

Hey Bolbill you do know its not madatory to mention United in every thread , unless some sneaky GOONER has changed the charter on the QT.

I wouldn't read too much into Reyes being unhappy, He is finding it hard to adjust to the physical nature of the premiership and is homesick, He's not the first or last player to suffer in this manner. As for the rest of them wanting away TBH I would put that down to Money Arsenal can not pay the wages like Real Chelsea Etc. The days of Medals meaning more than money are long gone if indeed they ever existed at all. There may be the odd exception but the majority of players will go for the best deal. ANds who can blame them for that?

Owen to Arsenal ? Could he and Henry play together? I dont believe they would be all that effective. I think that would be detrimental to henrys game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you have to laugh a reyes, how gullible is he?

ok first of all he's played for a fool by the radio station, ok, it can happen. but then he goes and says he wants to play for madrid and says he's not happy at arsenal - even if it was a real interview he still would have gotten all this press.

i dont feel sorry for him one bit, as soon as he dissed arsenal it was obvious he'd leave himself in a mess. i used to criticise vieira for saying nothing :rolleyes: this guy has gone and shot himself in the foot. he deserves everything he gets (bad press) as you cannot make those comments and expect to carry on as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

smemon wrote:
    you have to laugh a reyes, how gullible is he?

His agent has told him he is talking to a Real Madrid official , why would he beleive otherwise ?............infact you'd want to be paranoid to beleive otherwise .

Solution:sack his agent and get on playing football .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Big Ears wrote:
    His agent has told him he is talking to a Real Madrid official , why would he beleive otherwise ?............infact you'd want to be paranoid to beleive otherwise .

Solution:sack his agent and get on playing football .

well he might think before he speaks for a start. ok if he wants to lick madrid's @ss he's gonna be careful in what he says and leave his options open but giving out about team mates and saying he's not happy is uncalled for and foolish.

how often does a utd official, liverpool official, madrid official come on radio talking to a possible transfer target? even if he was told it was real, he should have had a bit of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err I think it was flagged as a private conversation and not a radio interview smemon!

Every footballer has said something stupid at some stage in their careers. Some even put them in their Autobiographies ;)

gandalf wrote:
    Every footballer has said something stupid at some stage in their careers. Some even put them in their Autobiographies ;)

Only the honest ones do that Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

such niavity is really quite endearing....

It seems this whole thread is merely about 'my teams players are more loyal than your teams players'... it's all rumour and nonsense and NO-ONE here can categorically say that any one player from their team would never consider a move - yes yes we all know keane is going to retire at United... but there's not much of a transfer market for 34 year old's...

It depresses me that so many supporters of big teams seem to blinker themselves to the merits of other teams and the failings of their own... it really detracts from any constructive debate on football and frankly belittles any credence we can give to your opinions.

Much as I don't want to big up or victimise any one individual, but Muppet is clearly a big United fan yet manages to always be quite balanced in his analysis... can the rest of you not take the blinkers off once in a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Reyes really isn't the sharpest tool in the toolbox. I do feel sorry for him though, from what i've heard he hasn't been able to convince his family to move to London and it's pretty obvious he's not getting on with some of the Arsenal players (his negative body language towards Henry [and vice versa] is obvious).

As for the swap deal, why not I say! (Providing it'd be Owen + cash...) There's no point in keeping unhappy players, although in Reyes' case he's young and could still settle. I think Owen would be excellent for Arsenal, he's a quality goalscorer and would help lighten the pressure on Henry. Though given another year or two, Lupoli will probably make the step up to first team football and Owen wouldn't be needed then...

None of these transfer rumours bother me really, the transfer window is closed so if it becomes clear a player wants to move, there'll be loads of time to find a replacement. That Arsenal could probably fetch in the region of 60 million for Cole, Reyes and Vieira combined is a nice softener.

I like that, its cute.

You responded to me saying this :

by saying this:
    it really detracts from any constructive debate on football and frankly belittles any credence we can give to your opinions.

Then go on to say,
    it really detracts from any constructive debate on football and frankly belittles any credence we can give to your opinions.

That has to be a classic,
    normally people are hypocritcal over a series of posts, rather than in the same post.
    Go take your psycho babble elsewhere

----

As for the whole, my team is more loyal than your team, sounds to me like that you're making it up.
    Infact this whole conversation, and another thread about it, seems to be relating the the alledged fact that Arsenal players seem to be wanting out

Its funny you use the term blinkered, perhaps the horses head is blocking your view so high up.

Here is a tranlation of the phone conversation.
    Fake Butragueno: This is Emilio Butragueno. I think you know why I’m calling. The situation is that Owen will go and we would like to settle this now.

Agent: You’ve caught me unaware. I’ve spoken to Paco de Gracia (a Real Madrid scout) and he told me that if the club had anything to say they would give me a call.

Now you’re calling me but I don’t know how the story about Reyes came out in the Press. I imagine you have been in contact with Arsenal . . . is there an agreement? Well, we’ll have to arrange a meeting.

FB: I want to speak with the player.

A: I’ll pass him the phone.

FB: That would be good if you can call him over and tell him what I want to talk to him about.

A: OK. I’ll await your call.

(Reyes comes on the line)

FB: Hello Reyes, how are you?

Reyes: How are you Emilio? I’m good.

FB: You know that we are going to take this forward because you’re not happy in London?

JR: The truth is that I’m not well. I have to admit things the way they really are.

FB: Our interest is very clear for you and Owen can go there as well. We need a player on the left wing and at first we thought about Joaquin, but Luxemburgo (Real coach) wants Beckham on the right and Raul said it has to be you.

R: I’m happy he said that.

FB: You’re good friends?

R: The truth is I get on with him brilliantly.

FB: Are you interested in Madrid?

R: It makes me happy. I have always said my dream is to play there and, God willing, it will, it can happen.

FB: How this will go quickly is that now you know what to say, what will make the president happy, that you have always wanted to come to Madrid, that it’s a dream, that you want to wear the white shirt . . .

R: Yes, yes of course. There’s no problem with that.

FB: If anyone asks you, deny everything.

R: Of course.

FB: We will do the same as well. We want meetings soon because we think we are close to a deal in principle with Sergio Ramos (Seville striker), who will definitely come in the summer. So relax. Are you happy?

R: I’m very happy. Furthermore I can tell you seriously: My dream since I was little is to play for Real Madrid and I would be happy to play in the team.

If I’m not, I’m going to have to carry on playing with some bad people. I’m sure there are none in the Real dressing room.

FB: We want meetings with Jaime in a quiet and discreet restaurant, the Txistu, and now I’m already imagining you alongside Zidane.

R: What’s more they’re good guys as well.

FB: Besides, we need a bit of spark.

R: There’ll be no lack of spark.

FB: Because to live in London must be a pain in the a**e . . .

R: Tell me about it. My family are fed up.

FB: The food there is terrible.

R: Yeah, but as I’ve got my family here I eat Spanish food. If not, I would die.

FB: I think I’ve made you happy tonight.

R: Tonight and many more.

FB: There has to be a lot of discretion and I would like to give my regards to your mother.

(Mum comes on the line)

Mum: Good evening Emilio. You have given me 20 more years of life.

FB: The lad deserves it.

M: He will give you many glorious nights. He is a lad who doesn’t go out in the street, who doesn’t go to discos.

FB: Here everyone goes out and there’s always trouble.

M: I have another, older son and he doesn’t go out either.

FB: Are you happy?

M: I don’t know what else I could ask for.

FB: Do you like Madrid?

M: Of course, I’d live in Madrid even if it was in a shack.

Much as I don't want to big up or victimise any one individual, but Muppet is clearly a big United fan yet manages to always be quite balanced in his analysis...

Before anyone asks no I have not set up a second account. Thanks for the kind comments Dr. Bolouswki. Contrary to some peoples opinion I do try to be balanced with my posts . In a week where I was accused of bringing the tone of the forum down your comments are appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    Before anyone asks no I have not set up a second account. Thanks for the kind comments Dr. Bolouswki. Contrary to some peoples opinion I do try to be balanced with my posts . In a week where I was accused of bringing the tone of the forum down your comments are appreciated.

Ever since you've returned(from the banning) you've been different , in a much better way , shame bannings didn't have the same effect on everyone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks a lot for that Muppet. That is very interesting. I feel sorry for Reyes...he is only a year older than me...That is kinda sad that happened. I hope this does not ruin his career.

Big Ears wrote:
    Ever since you've returned(from the banning) you've been different , in a much better way , shame bannings didn't have the same effect on everyone .

What banning ? This is not really the place to discuss it but as you have raised the subject . I was never banned. I was not granted access when the new system came into place. I take my share of the responsibility for what happened before but there were other people just as guilty as I was who were admitted. That's still a bit of a sore point with me as in the weeks leading up to the exclusion things had been quite . I feel the wrong call was made at the time but there is nothing to be gained from going there again . I.ll save it for the tribunal. ;)

I don't feel I have changed at all Big Ears. In the past because of a few people I felt I had to justify everything I posted and that usually ended in trouble. That is no longer the case as those people are no longer here and so I can be more reasoned again with the odd exception.
    Big Ears wrote:
    , shame bannings didn't have the same effect on everyone .

Thats ironic considering your own ban for flame baiting and your recent comments questioning my patrioism in the Ireland thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I like that, its cute.

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

PHB - I'm sorry but I really don'f follow your post.

Me quoting you on parlour and keown was to try and point out that both these players could have had little or no impact at Arsenal this season - Keown can't even claim a place in a first division side ffs, and parlour has hardly been playing out of his skin??

As for the rest, I'm afraid it's too poorly constructed to follow. You seem to be assuming I support arsenal?

I thought the Keown/parlour post was amusing it was so badly off the mark - a post that tried to pour scorn on Wengers poor judgement in letting two aging players go, an opinion based more it seems on wanting to dig a knife into Wenger because of your fervant support for Utd than any objective analysis. Keownis finished at even the 2nd level of professional football. Parlour has a contribution to make granted, but to single these decisions of wengers out seems trite. The rest of the post was directed at what I see as the blinkered opinions of many of the posters here.

Quite how you construe my post as psycho babble I don't know. I'll use shorter words next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement