Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Gin?

• 11-02-2005 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I've mostly been a Gordon's man for as long as I can remember - it is a very smooth gin. Recently though, I've developed quite a taste for Bombay Sapphire. But yet I dislike Cork Dry with a passion.

Anyway - so what you think?

Your favourite gin is.... 41 votes

Gordons
    0%
    Bombay Sapphire
    9%
    OeneusChad ghostalchakothaBeautifulLoser 4 votes
    Cork Dry
    63%
    The SweeperBorzoiOccidentalDapperGentLafortezzaDoodah7sharkmanRE*AC*TORdudaratovaleeBlub2k4flikflakcolmocsanncooAlannaSolistimamansiotSubh Deargkittenkillerjackie g 26 votes
    Tanqueray
    7%
    Velvet Vocalsgrowlergetoffthepot 3 votes
    Larios
    17%
    athena 2000vibranticeman_2001_ieStoneCJhaugheyShivvDemios 7 votes
    London Dry
    0%
    Other (please specifiy in post)
    2%
    ApeXaviour 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Cork Dry
    Bombay Sapphire with Schweppes Tonic, small dash of lime juice and a slice of lime with some ice cubes, my drink of choice all summer, delicious. NO gin is anywhere near the Bombay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Tanqueray
    have to go for CDC , not a great fan of Bombay though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

imaGINe, blue bottle, bought in Scotland, tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Bombay Sapphire
    I've picked Gordon's since I haven't really experimented with any others. Although I have been served Cork Dry in the pub and it sucked.

It's actually quite pathetic that I haven't tried a variety of different gins considering its my favourite beverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cork Dry
    Bombay Sapphire with good tonic, ice and a slice is my summer drink of choice - get in after work, open all the windows in the flat, kick off shoes, mix large drink, sit in the sunshine and go through the post.

...GOD when will it be summer again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Rives ....hard to get though.....
    But bloody great when I was in Seville.....! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

Cork Dry
    i know it sounds weird - someone in off-licence once told me this and it is lovely. bombay sapphire, tonic, lots of ice and a slice of cucumber !! delicious !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Solis

Cork Dry
    Gordons for me.

Did you like G+T the first time you tasted it?
    Reason I ask was I thought it the most horrible drink first time I tasted it but years later tried it on a hot summer days and wow loved it!

Cork Dry
    Solis wrote:
    Did you like G+T the first time you tasted it?
    Reason I ask was I thought it the most horrible drink first time I tasted it but years later tried it on a hot summer days and wow loved it!

I think that's called growing up, G&T is a very adult palette I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Cork Dry
    i actually think i did like it first time i tried it - although I had previously tried both gin and tonic separately and disliked both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Bombay Sapphire
    Yeah. Both are hidiously discusting on their own but when they're together, its a wonderful marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Cork Dry
    Bombay sapphire....yum yum!

After that Gordons!

I liked G & T the first time I tasted it. It's the only drink that doesn't knock me 4 six the next morning!!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Larios
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Gin

One of my budding passions - guitar, poker and gin
    (I'm only 23 - I have a life-time to become a connisseur)

Re: CDC
    Calling CDC a gin is like calling a wheel-barrow a car. Rank rank rank.
    I uesd to work in a bar where the house gin was Bombay. One night I was having a sh!t time, and threatened to take it out on somebody by serving them a G&T with CDC. I was told to go home and get some sleep.

Re: Bombay
    A very nice mid priced gin, and one of my favourites. Excellent for every situation - you won't find an experienced gin drinker anywhere who will turn there nose up at Bombay.

Re: Cucumber
    While Lime IS the only fruit to enjoy with G & T, there is a brand, Hendricks, which include a piece of literature with their bottles that insist on the use of cucumber. Very tasty I might add :D

Re: Gordons
    I don't like it, ergo I don't drink it. A Gordon's G&T has a very dull bouquet, and a very dry after-taste.

Other brands of note:

Mid Price -
    Tanqueray - the best of the mid-price gins, and my favourite - nearly killed my dad for wasting it on stupid relatives who've only ever drank CDC - lost on them. I threatened to use his bottle of Midelton 12 year Old, in a christmas cake as retribution - we settled on him buying me a new bottle.
    Plymouth - a much more robust gin - essential if anybody ever questions your sexuality for drinking G&Ts - give them a G&T with Plymouth and they'll never query you again
    Millers - I have never drank this in G&T, only tasted it among other brands. Doesn't stand out in my mind as being anything special, but I can vouch for the fact that it is definately better than C.D.C. and Gordons.
    Beefeater - same comment as Millers above. Considered by some as being the first of the world's great gins (Tanqueray 2nd, Bombay 3rd). I have to reserve judgement until I actually indulge myself.
    Blackwoods - Norse gin, distilled on the Shetland Islands. I really enjoyed this gin, but had it in dry martini's, so can't comment on it as G&T. Anybody else care to give a more informed opinion on this one?

Premium Gins -
    Tanqueray 10 - divine, makes the best dry martini's, in my informed opinion.
    Junipero - I am expecting a bottle from the U.S. in the next few weeks - I am really really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, there are no Gin bars in Ireland, but The Long Island in Cork has a small, but absolutely excellent selection. I would highly recommend a visit (their vodka selection is equally good)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Cork Dry
    iceman - I am much indebted to your contribution - excellent.

so what do y'all make of the Dutch Jenever - its not quite gin - but a similar creature. Had it in amsterdam last year - not served with tonic mind you - but drinkable on its own.

from wikipedia (for those unfamiliar) - Jenever, juniper-flavored and strongly alcoholic, is the traditional liquor in the Netherlands and Flanders, from which modern gin has evolved.

Cork Dry
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    iceman - I am much indebted to your contribution - excellent.

so what do y'all make of the Dutch Jenever - its not quite gin - but a similar creature. Had it in amsterdam last year - not served with tonic mind you - but drinkable on its own.

from wikipedia (for those unfamiliar) - Jenever, juniper-flavored and strongly alcoholic, is the traditional liquor in the Netherlands and Flanders, from which modern gin has evolved.

I drank quite a bit of this stuff when I was living in Ostfriesland in Germany, it is close to Holland and has a very similar culture. Most of the time we would actually drink the fruit flavoured genever when we were mullahed, was nice enough. The plain Jenever is a little different but drinkable, it has a much more obvious juniper flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cork Dry
    Gin has to be one of my favourite drinks. There's nothing quite like an G&T on ice with a slice of lime. Bombay is just beautiful, but normally I'm happy to settle for the CDG sitting in the optics.

The one thing I've noticed is that there's a big taste difference in gins between different pubs, even though they all have a CDG bottle. I wonder what's going on there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Larios
    Unfortunately, there are no Gin bars in Ireland

I must correct myself.
    There is the Gin Palace

The Gin Palace
    Middle Abbey Street
    Dublin 1

Now, I have never been there, but I have been told that they do a good selection of gins (best estimate of the gentleman I was talking to was 15 or so different bottles).

If anybody who frequents this establishment could give a review of it, with respect to the gins it serves of course (apart from gin, I hear it is an excellent Pub), I would greatly appreciate it.

This is a quote from an article on gin, I have just been reading.

"...part of the aesthetic of the straight-up martini is its pristine, cold clarity..."

Anybody want to go for a dry Martini this evening in Cork?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

GIN and JUICE !!

Tanqueray/Bomb Saph and Orange Tropicana !!!

Absolutely devine. (Do NOT use cheap juice).

As Snoop would say, " it's the shizzle !! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Cork Dry Gin Blue Label . it`s export only and can only be found in the duty free or it`s modern equivalent . Dynamite in a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Hendricks is the absolute dogs. Nothing finer in my opinion.

No mentions for gin with a mixer of ginger ale? I'm stunned! It's excellent.

I've been in the Gin Palace in Dublin a few times, not for gin though much to my shame. But for their prawns in garlic on the tapas menu. Fantastic stuff. I'll have a go at the gins next time I'm there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement