Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - bigger problem than admitted?

Options
  • 11-02-2005 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Don't know which Forum to put this in, but has anybody recently had reason to think there's a much bigger problem with An Post (as a result of the threatened strike) than has been let on?

Reason I'm asking is I've now been waiting close to three weeks for two parcels, one from the UK and one from the US. I'm in D16.

Any similar experiences or light to shine on out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Actually there are some post offices in the UK advising not to post items to Ireland at present do to some strike that is on at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I thought there was no strike in IE, that it was averted at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is weird stuff in the UK postal service too. In October, it was taking three weeks or more to deliver registered mail from here to there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tried to get something mailed to me from America and the seller was told this:
    "As a result of
    unexpected industrial action at our EMS/Parcels OE, Postal administrations
    are requested not to dispatch parcels to Ireland until furthur notice."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Did anyone here the ads on the radio asking you to "support your local post office". It's Mick Lally doing to voiceover.

That struck me as a sign of how bad things really are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

probably because local post offices are slowing dying out and being closed down. Mick Lally, well holy God!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, the thing now is that they either have to rev up a lot of the post offices or shut them down altogether.

One of the problems is that many of the services Mick is promoting for them are basically cash services. Cash services must be pretty uneconomic, given that they involve transporting this hazardous cargo to every corner of the country.

The sooner An Post customer services get away from providing cash services, the better a chance of survival they will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Well, the thing now is that they either have to rev up a lot of the post offices or shut them down altogether.

One of the problems is that many of the services Mick is promoting for them are basically cash services. Cash services must be pretty uneconomic, given that they involve transporting this hazardous cargo to every corner of the country.

The sooner An Post customer services get away from providing cash services, the better a chance of survival they will have.

what do you mean by a "cash service", are you saying that handling cash and having a counter open to the public is bad and that they should just be delivery/sorting nodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They shouldn't be paying out dole and social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The SDS operations are being transferred to I think Portlaoise and that is creating issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

the post is proper ****ed at the moment. i have been waiting for 4 weeks for a package from New York, but in that time, i have had a big parcel delivered, realised there was a mistake with the order, sent it back, was recieved by original shipper, mistake was fixed, and is now on its way back to me.

so it could be just individual shipments to and from USA which are getting ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tried to get into Maynooth post office today at 12:51. Some gorilla staff member was at the door and wouldn't let me in, saying that they close from 12:50 to 2:00.

Well I say fcuk them. If that is there attitude, they deserve everything they get. They have no-one but themselves to blame.

Advertisement