Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord calling over , legal?

Options
  • 11-02-2005 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi,
    quick question
    got home last night to this note in the letterbox:

"hi,
    im calling over tomorrow to check something
    signed
    landlord"

assuming the note was to give us a chance to clean up a bit,
    which tbh, didnt really need doin, we just kep the curtains closed all the time cos were afraid of the sun,

is it ok for the landlord to let himself in while were all at work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

anyone, yes or no?
    does someone have to be there for the landlord to call in?

i need to know soon so i can ring him up and tell him to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

paying a visit while you are out is definitely not legal unless you agree to it
    & afaik any visits should be arranged on your terms not "i'll be here tomorrow" if it doesnt suit you he'll have to change his plans.
    theres a bit of give & take obviously but if you dont want him around when your'e not you're well within your rights to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

No,he owns the place so he has every right to walk in and out as he see's fit.
    Afraid of the sun??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

he would need to get your permission to be in the place without you there, even if he has got a Plumber or whatnot coming over.
    HE is normally obliged to this condition by your Contract with him.
    Also, he afaik, he has to give you more than enough time to make arrangemets for the visit.
    Call him and find out what it is about, HE HAS TO TELL YOU WHAT IT IS ABOUT
    he might own the place, but if it is rented out, he is in that case tresspassing and interfering with your privacy

got this from oasis.ie >
    You do not have the right to

enter your tenants’ home without permission.
    still not sure if by not responding we have accepted.

dont worry about the sun, i was j/k, but its the only reason i can think for him wanting to check the place out while were out,
    ie, called over to ahve a look, all curtains closed, nobody home,
    maybe suspicious of us?

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    got this from oasis.ie >
    You do not have the right to

enter your tenants’ home without permission.
    still not sure if by not responding we have accepted.

dont worry about the sun, i was j/k, but its the only reason i can think for him wanting to check the place out while were out,
    ie, called over to ahve a look, all curtains closed, nobody home,
    maybe suspicious of us?

but even if he has a suspision, he has to ask you first.
    or inform the police to investigate

he doesnt have the right to come & go even if he owns the property.
    if you rented a retail outlet(as most retailers do) would you allow your landlord to open your shop at any time of the day or night? its pretty much the same thing as far as i know.

ok ill ring to fiind out whats up.

Chalk wrote:
    ok ill ring to fiind out whats up.

very good Idea

no answer :/

ill keep trying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GaRtH_V wrote:
    No,he owns the place so he has every right to walk in and out as he see's fit.
    Nope. A home is a home. No person has the right to come and go as they please except the residents.
    A landlord can call to the door, and the tenants can refuse him entry. Unless he has their express permission, he cannot enter the property. A note under the door is not sufficient, as it doesn't confer any permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I was renting a place in Fairview a couple of years ago. The landlord used to just walk into the place as and when he pleased. This didn't seem to bother the other tenants in the place, as they reckoned he was a bit of a gangster.. did my head in though.. Little did I know he was totally not allowed to do that.. I didn't stay there for very long anyway. It was a bit of a dump..

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think at very least they need to give proper notice, I think I read somewhere it needs to be a month. Could be wrong though.

so no answer
    turns out one of the lads was asleep in bed anyway.
    lanlady and her son came in the back door unnannounced :/

they basically wanted to check the place out.
    gave out about keeping bikes in the hall and not having the floor hoovered.
    not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Chalk wrote:
    so no answer
    turns out one of the lads was asleep in bed anyway.
    lanlady and her son came in the back door unnannounced :/
    they basically wanted to check the place out.
    gave out about keeping bikes in the hall and not having the floor hoovered.
    not sure what to do.

Have you tried speaking to someone in Threshold? They're not allowed just let themselves in like that.

Also, they can't go nitpicking about things like hoovering and bikes unless there were rules laid down in the lease/contract.. if there even was one..

Privacy
    As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I was renting a place in Fairview a couple of years ago. The landlord used to just walk into the place as and when he pleased. This didn't seem to bother the other tenants in the place, as they reckoned he was a bit of a gangster..

theres a difference between walking in on a group of sharing students, and walking in on a family, but i would be totally against him walking in on either! you could be doing anything! :p

Loco wrote:
    theres a difference between walking in on a group of sharing students, and walking in on a family, but i would be totally against him walking in on either! you could be doing anything! :p

legally there is no difference whatsoever.
    Residense is residense,
    I would get back to the Landlord and ask him wtf?
    and tell him you want a visit announced well in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chalk wrote:
    not sure what to do.
    In future, lock the back door and leave a key in the lock.

Ring up your landlord and explain that what she did was illegal, she may not be aware of that.

she said it was to check something for the gas..
    im not sure why it would be so secretive and need her son to do this.
    im starting to think they may have been in the house already and seen something that they didnt like, mess or whatever,
    then did the note to try to make it legal and catch us with the place in a state to kick up a stink.

i dont kow its all so odd, like parents and a kid.
    i really wish shed just tell me what the problem is.

i rang her and she said everything is fine bladdyblabla,
    shes a bit dithery so i dont knwo at all.

i'd ring her back & give her a fukkin piece of your mind,you have no obligation to hoover the place regularly so long as you keep the place reasonably clean & in good condition (allowing for wear & tear)when you eventually leave.I rent too & so far my landlord is sound,its a new place & easier to keep clean than some of the kips ive lived in,having said that there are days when it looks like downtown fallujah but it does get cleaned.if the landlord seen it he might be shocked but its not any indication of how i live day to day.
    she probably had a point about the bikes lots of landlords get shirty about bikes for some reason.but seeing as she was trespassing whats the lesser of the crimes.you could always say nothing ,clean the place up and all sit around naked waiting for her to arrive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs.Babalady

ROFL Kingsize...that would be so funny, especially if she is a bit of a ditherer

I'd buy a ticket for that one !

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bikes in hall => Possibility of dragging mud onto carpet
    Bikes in hall => Handlebars scratching paint off wall.

I understand where she is coming from. Of course shes going to mention it.
    Shes thinking that if they wreak the carpets, with their bikes in the hall then I will have to pay for it. Can't you put the bikes in the shed or out in the back garden.

I don't agree with landlords snooping around, thats a bit much. But I do understand her point. Understand that storage of bikes in the hall would hardly account for "normal wear and tear" of a property. Do you clean the wheels before you drag it accross the floor.

Do you check for dog poop , or do you just drag it in without a care in the world.

But, as a colleague reminds me .. what does your landlord expect, if she rents to students.

1 were not students ;)
    2 the bike issue was never raised before when she was in the house and will be addressed
    3 the issue is not if she is snopping around, she is welcome to call anytime, but instead she left a note, seemingly to cover her, when she illeglly entered our house without permission.

meh,
    itll be sorted tonight when i get home.
    hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They need to give proper notice for permission, which you can't unreasonably withhold.

Otherwise it's an illegal trespass and you can call the cops.

The bikes in the hall is also a fire safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I look after a rental property for a family member and always advise tenants that I would not enter property without them. In case of emergency I would call them on mobile and if necessary, get their permission to enter (e.g. Alarm going off when nobody home...)
    I'd always try to arrange repairs or maintenance for Saturday's when it would be easier for tenants to be home.

Advertisement