Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand from last night

Options
  • 11-02-2005 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Visited the Merrion for the 1st time last night and won a STT for a ticket into the €200 + €20 game at 9. Played my usual game for the first 2 1/2 hours and when I moved tables had a smallish stack of 6000 chips (starting stack 5000). Really felt the need to win some pots at this stage, as I knew I would soon be in real trouble with the blinds.

A few hands into the 200 / 400 level, I find myself holding KK. Folded to me (I was 3rd of 8 to act), I made it 800 to go, as the table was fairly tight, larger bets relative to the blinds tended to scare everyone away and I really needed to pick up more than just the blinds. Two callers, including the BB. Flop was Q Q 10, BB checks, I checked, last one to go raised 2000. BB folds, I reluctantly fold. The raiser was a good player, fairly tight but I wonder...should I have gone all-in with my small stack at that point, as I really needed to double up, hoping that he was bluffing? Is this a 'how long is a piece of string' question?

30 minutes later I was forced all-in with just x3.5 times the BB and headed home around midnight. Argh. After that night I don't really feel enthused about hitting the Fitz for the 50 'Scalps' tonight...though I am sure I will anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I think the fold was alright, you were most likely behind, however I would certainly have raised more with five players to act after you. The min raise is very little to the SB and BB and they are almost certain to call with any two decent cards. If you have made it 1600 or 2000 you get rid of these. Ok you might just win the blinds but its a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Yeah, the ol' min raise thingy, never really accomplishes much... ever...

I think I would have bet the flop as well, maybe 1500 or so? When he moves on you, you don't really know where you are. Funnily enough, I don't think he has a Q, but if you re-raise all-in when he bets, you'll only be called by a hand that beats you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yeah, looking back now (good old hindsight) I think that I was still ahead at that point, he would have slowplayed it or made a minimum bet if he really had a Q.

If I had bet 1500 on the flop, I would have been fairly pot committed (my stack really was small) and so might as well have gone all in. If only we could go back in time, eh...? Bollocks to that, I'll make up for it tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

More than likely he had a Ten. You need to bet out on the flop especially if you are in early position and have raised pre-flop. Your check basically told everyone that you either missed the flop or made a set. His bet was finding out.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

You definitely have to bet the flop, if someone goes over the top after you then see whether you think they have a Q or a 10, with KK you're delighted if someone has A10, less so if they have Q3s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I think check calling is a good option here, with your stack at that size I would be very very relunctant to fold. Checking and folding to a single bet is really really bad, most people wont even bet there with a Q!

Advertisement