Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constant Arsenal Rumours

• 11-02-2005 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Is it just me, a somewhat biased Arsenal fan, or do Arsenal players end up in the gossip columns an awful lot?
    We had another summer of Viera is off to Real, Henry wanted by Chelsea (who in fairness are linked to any player who has a good match).
    In the last few months now we've had campbell maybe leaving on a free this summer, Edu to Valencia, Cole being tapped up by Chelsea and now Reyes to Real.
    When was the last time you heard of a first team member being romoured to want to leave United or Chelsea or liverpool?

This is so frustrating!
    But if that prank interview is true about Reyes and if he did refer to some of the Arsenal team members as "bad people" then his days maybe numbered, which i'd be sorry to see because I think he's a real talent and a future star.
    BBC.com quotes him as saying:
    "If I'm not (playing for Real) I'm going to have to carry on playing with some bad people, I'm sure there are none in the Real dressing room."

Any other arsenal fans out there pi$$ed off by the amount of our players who are wanted by other clubs / want away.

They should take a look at Petit, Overmars and Anekla who could never re-capture their magic after they left us.
    We need more Bergkamps....never once want away and a player who gives his all every time he plays.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Giggs - Inter
    Roanldo - Unsetlled
    Ruud - Real Madrid
    Rooney - everywhere
    Saha - some french club
    DD - Villa
    Kleberson - PSV
    O'Shea - Newcaslte
    Ferdinand - Chelsea
    Brown - Anywhere
    Caroll - Arsenal

----

Arsenal:

Vieira- Real
    Reyes - Real
    Cole - Chelsea
    Edu - Valencia
    Henry - Chelsea, never heard that one but ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Apparently Chelsea offered £50million for him at the start of the summer;
    *apparently*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Grimlock wrote:
    But if that prank interview is true about Reyes and if he did refer to some of the Arsenal team members as "bad people" then his days maybe numbered, which i'd be sorry to see because I think he's a real talent and a future star.
    "If I'm not (playing for Real) I'm going to have to carry on playing with some bad people, I'm sure there are none in the Real dressing room."

It is true , I have posted about reyes being unhappy and wanting away in the last two weeks. Wenger has admiited in a press release that Reyes is unhappy both on and off the pitch.

I don't think Arsenal get any more more bad press that the other top teams. All of the story with the exception of Henry to Chelsea (which I have not heard} are true AFAIK. Campbells reluctance to sign his contract fed that story which considering his history was no surprise. Edu is on record as saying he did not feel he has a future at Arsenal. The people making the Cole accusations are insistant that their account is accurate and the FA are investigating. As all the storys are factual I dont think you can blame the press for reporting them . Maybe you should contact Arsenal enquiring as to why these issues have arisen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Grimlock wrote:
    When was the last time you heard of a first team member being romoured to want to leave liverpool?

you, head, rock, 2 years.

sorry - a bit mean. But does the name stephen 'walks on water' gerrard mean anything to you?

You just pay attn to your own club more than other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Grimlock wrote:
    Apparently Chelsea offered £50million for him at the start of the summer;
    *apparently*

I remember that now and as far as I can recollect Chelsea admitted they had made an enquirey about Henry at the tim so again it appears to be a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Grimlock wrote:
    Any other arsenal fans out there pi$$ed off by the amount of our players who are wanted by other clubs / want away.

Welcome to the real world!, this is how all fans outside the top 4 or 5 teams feel when other clubs come knocking for our "star" player(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's like anything - get to the top of your sport & you're bound to be a target for rumour-mongers. I'm sure most of the players take it with a pinch of salt, but for some its gonna be unsettling.

The Reyes thing has been going on for some time - he suddenly lost form & having been sent home for a break 'for personal reasons' has still not recaptured it. It looks likely that he'll be sold in the Summer. Shame, but if he can't settle - its never going to work for us. I would have serious doubt about a swap with Owen though.

As for the Henry to Chelsea rumours - any club that sells one of its biggest assets to such a close competitor would need to either be totally cash strapped - or completely mad ! - I don't think Arsenal fit either category.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Grimlock wrote:
    Is it just me, a somewhat biased Arsenal fan, or do Arsenal players end up in the gossip columns an awful lot?
    We had another summer of Viera is off to Real, Henry wanted by Chelsea (who in fairness are linked to any player who has a good match).
    In the last few months now we've had campbell maybe leaving on a free this summer, Edu to Valencia, Cole being tapped up by Chelsea and now Reyes to Real.
    When was the last time you heard of a first team member being romoured to want to leave United or Chelsea or liverpool?

This is so frustrating!

They should take a look at Petit, Overmars and Anekla who could never re-capture their magic after they left us.
    We need more Bergkamps....never once want away and a player who gives his all every time he plays.
    What about the Rio to Chelsea story - apparently wants to move back to London yada yada yada...Giggs linked with Inter many times over the years....Keano was linked with Bayern a few years back...Becks to Madr..oh wait, that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I wouldn't let it get to you , most of the time such rumours exist only in the minds of the tabloid sporting journalists or are leaked to the press by players' agents in orderr to secure better deals or renewed contracts for their players, or a rival team cites an interest in a playerr to unsettle their opponents, 90% of it is BS. If anything it should be considered looked on as an endorsement of a players quality.

And one probably does tend to notice the stories about your own team, every team suffers from some amount of speculation about their star players. Last season Arsenal fans were convinced Gallas was off to Highbury, much to my annoyance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Since the transfers are now closed until end of season, the press will fabricate as many stories as they can to sell papers between now & then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB - As I said in another thread, 5 first team players at Arsenal have publicly admitted to have considered leaving Arsenal (Reyes, Edu, Vieira, Lauren, Cole. Edu is leaving). Not many United or Chelsea players have.

Ah, so its not about rumours, its about the fact that the team wants to leave.
    Well my question is, how many of them have? Edu? He still might not go imo.
    None of them have gone yet, despite many oppurtunities to do so, whats that say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

All I am saying is that there must be something up if 4 or 5 first team players are/were seriously considering leaving the club. Arsenal are on level par with Man U atm but the only players I've read about wanting to leave United are fringe players.

Yeah well the thing is, 4 of the team are Utd through and through. Neville, Keano, Scholes, Giggs
    2 of them are new signings thus have no real need to go anywhere Heinze, Ronaldo
    and the other 4 are fairly dedicated to utd, rio slyvestre RVN and saha:)

Also, Fergie is generally very very very very very very liked by his players, unless something happens in which case you're gone.
    Theres no messing around, which ahs happened with Wenger in Edu, Vieira etc
    Its shown in his dealing with the Cole situation.

He didn't ask cole, did you have a meeting with Chelsea?
    He asked, are you dedicated to Arsenal?

Can you imagine what would happen to a Man Utd player from Fergie if he was caught doing somethign like that.
    it wouldn't be are you dedicated? It'd be you better hope the **** you never get acught aagin or I'll beat the **** out of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

viera has always wanted to leave nearly, hardly count that. Edu wanted to leave because they werent willing to meet his wage demands aswell. If there was something up, all the player would of left. Lauren could of went to madrid but stayed at Arsenal, thats pretty good sign i think.

Keane wanted to leave for Celtic aswell didnt he? Doesnt carrol want to leave also?

Keano has always wanted to finish his career at Celtic, after he isn't at a high enough level to play for Utd anymore
    Carrol has been with unied quite a few years and this is the first year hes in the first team, and its widely expected that he will be replaced in the summer. He is a bit part player ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sells newspapers , puts nice headlines on SSnews?

Pinch of salt for everyone, always happens when top teams underperform or are considered imploding, every season Arse won somfin Utd were being broken up etc:

Wouldnt worry about it , look more at who coming in that out.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Grimlock wrote:
    Naw.

If a player doesn't want to be at Arsenal, they can lump off. No one player is bigger than the team (unless you're Jan Molby...), and a negative influence can very quickly destroy morale in a squad.

Now is a good time for the rumours to be flying around, it gives Wenger plenty of time to decide who to sell and who to buy. Personally, I hope Vieira finally goes to Madrid next summer so we can have a centre mid who wants to play for Arsenal (and a new captain). Big money sales are great when Wenger is buying the replacements! Mmm, 23 million for Anelka...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

no harm, but Reyes is always pissed or depressed. When he is playing for Spain, Arsenal etc. He needs a good kick up the rear end IMO.

Arsenal look like a team with some serious problems, it seems very contential , the players are more important than the team. I couldnt see anything like that happening at Man Utd for such a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I will never quit Arsenal - Henry

Thierry Henry has indicated he would like to finish his career at Arsenal.

The French striker will be 29 when his current contract runs out in 2007 and he says he intends to stay on beyond that unless he is no longer wanted.

"I would like to stay here, but it's up to the people involved. If it was only up to me, no problem, but we all know how it is in football.

"If you stop scoring goals, someone young can come along and kick you out," Henry told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek.

The France international added: "No one would have thought that when Ian Wright stopped, someone else would come in and do something.

"Nicolas Anelka came for two or three years and when he stopped everyone said 'who are we going to have?' Then suddenly I arrived.

"It's going to be the same with me and that's the way it is. I'm just realistic.

"When I stop, Arsenal will always be Arsenal, whether I'm in the team or not."
    Makes a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    Giggs - Inter
    Roanldo - Unsetlled
    Ruud - Real Madrid
    Rooney - everywhere
    Saha - some french club
    DD - Villa
    Kleberson - PSV
    O'Shea - Newcaslte
    Ferdinand - Chelsea
    Brown - Anywhere
    Caroll - Arsenal

I've only ever heard 3 of those rumours and even then they were wildy far-fetched.

Have you got some sort of a connection to a source for 'The Sun' soccer gossip columns?

Advertisement