Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths STUDIES!???

Options
  • 11-02-2005 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

This thread may get me on a bad side with Arts students, but what the hell is up with Maths through Arts, it's a bloody SCIENCE subject. I have a module this semester, History of Maths, with is almost exclusively Arts students, which I'm deeply unimpressed about.

Assignment 1 Q1 Write your own story involving 1 to 1 correspondence. Do not go over ten lines.

I mean, seriously, for those of us who plan to have a career in Maths, as opposed to the ever boring teaching option, what practical use is this course to anyone!? Maths through Arts should be banned, I mean if someone did Chemistry as an Arts subject there would be serious issues raised, why is Maths any different???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

One of my friends picked it cause he wants to teach and by having it for 1st year then dropping it he can teach some of the lower years. He quite likes maths but not enough to want to do a degree in it, he prefers other arts subjects. They can do biology through arts in 1st year in Maynooth too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I know about biology, which is the stupidest idea I ever heard, Arts can do it in first year, but have to drop it after that, which is sensible, it being a four year course and all, but why bother offer it in the first place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nothing wrote:
    This thread may get me on a bad side with Arts students, but what the hell is up with Maths through Arts, it's a bloody SCIENCE

Science is inexact, and since Maths is the most exact of the subjects, that pretty much rules out Maths as a Science. But you probably realised that as a Maths' student.

There are people who want to do other Arts' subjects along with Maths, and the only way is through Arts.

I'm doing Philosophy and Maths Studies, the perfect combination. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

ah there there!
    pats nothing on the head!!

(please dont hit me in class)

why shouldnt maths be an arts subject, its an art in itself!!!

hist of maths is just one of those courses that all maths students take.

its like mt222 in second year, every maths student takes it. and those maple courses too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

ah there there!
    pats nothing on the head!!

you're in so much trouble.....
    (please dont hit me in class)

I'll try my best, but sometimes tempers cannot be controlled....
    why shouldnt maths be an arts subject, its an art in itself!!!
    ALL Science subjects are essentially another aspect of maths, all based on Maths, so how do you figure that it's an Arts subject, a broad heading for useless subjects with no real practical applications! I'm digusted by this "point" you're trying to make, without anything to back it up.
    Slow coach wrote:
    Science is inexact, and since Maths is the most exact of the subjects, that pretty much rules out Maths as a Science. But you probably realised that as a Maths' student.

Science, in general, is inexact as it is based on statistical methods and experimentation to prove theories (based on MATHEMATICAL theories), and statistics is a branch of Maths, and it is inexact, hence Maths is not the most exact of the subjects, seeing as it is based on assumptions for the most part, some of which we take for granted and have never bothered to be proven!!!
    Slow coach wrote:
    I'm doing Philosophy and Maths Studies, the perfect combination. :)

Well that just says it all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nothing wrote:
    Science, in general, is inexact as it is based on statistical methods and experimentation to prove theories (based on MATHEMATICAL theories), and statistics is a branch of Maths, and it is inexact, hence Maths is not the most exact of the subjects,

Just because Stats is a branch of Maths, it doesn't follow that what holds true about Stats, also holds true for Maths. You should try Logic (the common branch of Maths and Philosophy). You'll learn to think more clearly, and you can then apply this clearer thinking to other areas of study.
    seeing as it is based on assumptions for the most part, some of which we take for granted and have never bothered to be proven!!!

Give us an example. If Maths is founded on a foundation of quicksand, what does this say about the Maths based Sciences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Maths is not just a science subject. It's comments like that that lead to rivalary between departments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

nothing wrote:
    This thread may get me on a bad side with Arts students, but what the hell is up with Maths through Arts, it's a bloody SCIENCE subject. I have a module this semester, History of Maths, with is almost exclusively Arts students, which I'm deeply unimpressed about.
    I'm in UCD, I've history of maths as one of my modules this semester. I've been to 1 lecture so far, it can be passed without ever going to a single lecture apparently as long as you do the 1 big essay due in early April, and study the notes for the exam.

Advertisement