Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To upgrade & OC or not?

Options
  • 11-02-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Im half thinking of going socket 939 but not having followed any of the new mobo's cpu's ram etc i've no idea what to look for.
    I think i read somehwere that the amd 64 3000+ and 3200+ oc to 3500+ speed and further, if so which to get?
    What kind of mobo is good for oc'ing? Right now i have a asus, no problems with it and bring my 2500 mobile to 2.4 ghz if i want. Are nForce boards still better for oc'ing?
    Will i have to upgrade my ram currentlly i have 2 stick of 512mb geil value ram (pc3200).
    I think ill be keeping my gfx card, nvidia 6600gt agp.
    I'd like to oc it as much as i can get it to run stable, what heat sink to go for?
    Have a sonata case so possible that it could get a little tight up there in the case.

Jozi

EDIT:
    Epox EPoX EP-9NDA3+ Got 1 bad 1 good review
    Abit AV8-3rd Eye Recomended by a friend
    Abit AN8 mobo No agp i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If you're sticking with agp and want a board now I'd recommend the MSI K8N neo 2 platinum. If you want to wait a while, DFI should have theirs out in the next month or so too which should be better -- nforce 3 that is.

If you're going nforce 4 then just nab a DFI and enjoy!

cpu -- get the 3200+ or 3500+ -- 3200+ is likely to clock just as well as the 3500+. If you don't mind the extra cash and want to be sure you're happy with stock speeds and won't be clocking then I'd recommend the 3500+ -- both winchester cores.

All of this said, new venice cores and all sorts of other goodies arriving soon as per usual -- you know the deal..

Just noticed that you're sticking with agp -- MSI K8N neo 2 platinum OR DFI's new offering, whenever they get it out! It's due end of this month.

I'd make a choice between those two and ignore the rest personally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Didnt realise there was nforce 3 & 4, 4 has pci-e??

For the cpu i think i would settle for a 3200 and hope it close to a 3500.
    Will have a look into the msi board, no big rush in getting it at the moment so holding of for the dfi board is a possibility.
    I would change from agp to pci-e but i only have this 6600gt about 2 months and prob wouldnt get a whole lot of cash for it.

These new cores will they be in the same price range as the curent winchester cpu's out at the min?
    Thanks,

For the quick reply Tackt

yeah, no agp for nforce4, just PCI-E. nforce3 for agp.
    You'll get way past 3500+ spec with that cpu, 99.9999% guaranteed. According to UAMDTool I'm running a 4500+ A64 :D

The geil value ram might hold it back a bit though.

Np, it's a slow, painful day/evening of work :(

I was thinking the ram would, what sorta ram would be better suited pc4000?

3200+ it is when i'm ready to get the bits and pieces.

Regarding the dfi board, what model is it do you know? Im trying to find it on the net but no luck just yet.
    Hate them kinda days at work

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

If you are planning to go with 939 I'd recommend these if you are going agp:
    Mobo: MSI K8N Neo2
    CPU: 3000 winnie - These are really good cpu and would overclock to 2.6-2.7 easy
    RAM: Get TCCD ram like OCZ VX or GSkill PC4400 better hurry though as they stop making TCCD ram

If pci then definitely get the DFI mobo. DFI Nforce 4. Check it out their website www.dfi.com.tw.

• Advertisement

So there are no dfi agp boards then, pitty.
    I would go pci-e but i just got a new agp gfx card about 2 months ago. (unless i can get enough for it if sold)
    Unless i dont bother with ram till a later stage.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

There's rumour that DFI is going to release an AGP version of the NF4 but no one knows when. You can keep your ram now if you want, it may prevent you from overclocking as much for the moment and just run as much as you can with the RAM. When you have more money, then upgrade the RAM but by then, you may or may not be able to buy a TCCD ram.

I bet my bunions they'll have an agp nforce3 out by the end of March/start April before we see agp nf4 :)

Advertisement