Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Bearings

Options
  • 11-02-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I just noticed that the other thread was banjaxed.

The Northbridge Fan on my IC7-G is beginning to act up. Sometimes when I turn on the PC there would be a lot of noise out of it and its speed would be reduced from 6026RPM to ~2000RPM. Sometimes the noise would stop after a minute and the fan regain speed but more recently it has slowed up completely. But I poked it with my hand one night and it hasnt cause problems since but the fault will probably come back.

Did Abit recognise alot of problems with northbridge coolers and were issuing free replacements? Is that still available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

You'd have to email Abit to find out but I think you're better off just replacing it with something else.

While we're on the subject of bearings -- always get sleeve bearings if you can, ball bearings tend to wear down and start to make rattling/clunking noises after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oil it, or use lube grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

While you're on the subject of bearings, I always thought that ball bearings are noisier anyway. I mean, who hangs on to their rig long enough to for a fan to go funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yeah, noisier too. My granny..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

While you're on the subject of bearings, I always thought that ball bearings are noisier anyway. I mean, who hangs on to their rig long enough to for a fan to go funny?

Yes, I should get rid of my PC because of a dodgy fan... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It does seem to be a common problem with the Northbrige fans on this series of boards. My IC7-max3 had the same problem a short while back but after a little nudging it seems to be ok again.

Is this the little bugger you were talking about?

fan.jpg

If it's causing you that much trouble you should just buy a new one. A decent Northbridge cooler won't set you back much and will be less hastle than trying to get one off Abit.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yep friend of mine has the same problem on his ic7 series board aswell, i didnt know that it was a known issue with these, he just bought a fanless NB heatsink to replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No that one, smaller and plastic. Its annoying me alright. Dont have the money for a replacement at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh those little fans are really noisey when they dont work properly, like REALLY noisey :D

Advertisement