Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending whiskey to Japan...?

Options
  • 11-02-2005 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is getting marries in Japan and I have selected a nice 30yo single malt from the celtic whiskey shop to send him but there is a caveat that some countries restrict the delivery of alcohol so I'd be stuck if that is the case in Japan...anybody know how I can find out if it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i think only the us refuse to ship alcoholo as a leftover of prohibition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Ask at your local post office, there was a notice up in my post office in relation to this but I can't remember what it said....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Shipping alcohol to Japan? Possibly the world's most bureaucratic country? Well, maybe, if you can make a really good case that it's really a wedding gift. There would quite likely be duty to pay. I would ask at the Japanese embassy, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Or ask the shop itself...if they do this regularily, they may know the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

I'm living in Japan at the moment. My mother sent me a snow boarding jacket last year for XMas pressy because I couldn't find one to fit me here(live in small town). I had to pay maybe E10 duty on a E200 jacket. VAT is only 5% here!! Also, nearly every parcel I receive is opened. Japanese are so exact about everything it's enraging.
    Also, there is a great selection of Irish whiskeys over here in a shop called YAMAYA. A 750ml bottle of Jameson 9 year is only E16 here!! Cheaper than Ireland I think. I checked their online shopping site for you, but they only sell wines online. Don't know why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement