Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Priest Album 'Angel Of Retribution'

Options
  • 11-02-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

I've just been on the official Priest site and saw that the new album launch date has been confirmed as 28/02/05 for europe. Also if you go here you can check out the first single/video from the album called 'Revolution'. Sounds pretty good, has a classic edge to it more than an ultra-modern feel to it like Painkiller did at the time. Great album coverart too.

Roll on Monday 2 weeks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 after_tea_roll

Cant wait for monday 2 weeks, if this is 10% as good as i hope it will be, its gonna be gud !"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Have a mooch around the Sony site, htey've had snippets of all the tracks up for a few weeks. Very British Steel updated kind of sound to the whole thing. You going up to Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Got My Ticket to See Judas Priest! can't f**kin wait!! the album, from what i've heard could be better, but who cares, the priest is back! i'm sure it'll grow on my. too bad they're not playin down here, gotta go all the way up to belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Doctor J wrote:
    You going up to Belfast?

Hadn't given it much thought TBH, I always thought they'd end up doing a date down here. Doesn't look like it now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Glenn and KK have some great solos on this cd :D None of the horrible noise things from Julgulator/Demolition.

• Advertisement

None of the horrible noise things from Julgulator/Demolition.

Are you talking about the songs or the solos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I kinda liked Jugulator........ :o

*puts on Nomex suit to fend off the flames*

Ancient1 wrote:
    I kinda liked Jugulator

Yup, me too. If they got rid of the 1 minute of pointless ****e that was the intro to every damn song it was a decent album. Demolition had it's moments too, Hell Is Home is a fecking great song.

It was indeed - but i bet it will feel like Halford never left...

Btw, i've only seen them live with Ripper, back in 98 in Mannheim, Germany.
    The support was - wait for it - Gorefest!

If i make it up to Belfast i'd say it'll be a trip to remember.

Saw them on the Painkiller tour in the SFX with about 300 others, a terrible turnout.

Support was from... Annihilator :D

• Advertisement

Painkiller @ the SFX - shocking man....

damn you, you saw all these bands live in their prime - Painkiller, Rust in Peace etc - back then i was stuck in the Middle East, daydreaming about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J wrote:
    Saw them on the Painkiller tour in the SFX with about 300 others, a terrible turnout.

heh I remember being in school and begging money to go to that gig - yay poorness of secondary school life :)

Ahhh you know I don't like to gloat ;):p

Doctor J wrote:

There was more than 300 at it dude, the SFX holds about 1,000-1,500 doesn't it? I'd say there was between 700 to 1,000 there that night. It wasn't that empty like.

But you are right about the turn out - it should have been a lot better for the mighty Priest!

Also if you remember it was the last night of the entire tour and the road crew came out and wrapped Gaffa tape around Annihilator's bass player and started removing bits of the drummer's kit while they were playing their last number :) 'twas good fun.

Anyway, it looks like I will be making the trip up north - that's if Ancient1 can find his spandex pants in time...I'm looking forward to it already :D

Shred wrote:
    that's if Ancient1 can find his spandex pants in time...

It's only a matter of deciding between my Stryper or my LA Guns spandex pants.... ;)

Stryper's time has been and gone, friend, but LA Guns will live forever! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I've heard most of the tracks and there brilliant!! I can't wait for the gig!!!

Only a month until I see them :)

It'll be my third Priest concert, first with Rob. Can't wait :D

dabhoys wrote:
    I've heard most of the tracks and there brilliant!! I can't wait for the gig!!!

Apparently Metal Hammer has given it 5 stars and said it's possibly Priest's best album to date :eek:
    My brother has heard it all and he loves it too (he's been a Priest fan for about 20-25years), I'm really looking forward to it and the gig in Belfast now :)

This was on BraveWords today:

"According to a fan post in the Noticeboard section of their official website, here is the complete setlist to JUDAS PRIEST's tour opener last night at Valbyhallen in Copenhagen, Denmark:

'The Hellion', 'Electric Eye', 'Riding On The Wind', 'Metal Gods', 'Ripper', 'Hot Rockin'´, 'I´m A Rocker', 'Green Manalishi', 'Beyond The Realms Of Death', 'Judas Rising', 'Touch Of Evil', 'Hellrider', 'Victim Of Changes', 'Revolution', 'Breakin´ The Law', 'Painkiller', 'Diamonds And Rust', 'Deal With The Devil', 'Living After Midnight', 'Hell Bent For Leather' and 'You´ve Got Another Thing Comin´'"

Booyah :)

• Advertisement

I'm a rocker? Christ...that was unexpected. I love that song though. Can't wait to hear it :D but bleh, it still seems like the same old setlist as usual :confused:

And not a single Defenders of the faith song? Hopefully things will change over time..

Yeah, there's a few other tunes I'd like to see in there but maybe the set will evolve as the tour goes on.

The album was delivered yesterday and I loved it on the first listen. It's pure priest from start to finish, not a dodgey song on it. It sounds very like some of Halford's solo stuff too though, but that just goes to show how much of a writing influence (and what was missing from Jugulator and Demolition IMO) he has on priest I s'pose. Thumbs up from me :)

I hope lochness grows on me :\

Bought the cd today, after having it as mp3s for while. Can't wait to hear it in proper quality :D

Those solos are great, huh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Thought this was nice of Tim
    From Balbbermouth:
    TIM 'RIPPER' OWENS Says New PRIEST Album Is Up There With 'Ram It

Former JUDAS PRIEST singer Tim "Ripper" Owens has spoken out about the group's brand new album, "Angel of Retribution". PRIEST's first studio album in 15 years to feature vocalist Rob Halford, "Angel of Retribution" is the follow-up to 2001's "Demolition" (featuring Owens on vocals), which was widely panned for being too far removed from the classic sound present on such albums as "Painkiller" and "Screaming for Vengeance". Speaking exclusively to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, Owens said, "Now this is coming from a singer who will listen to his old band and tell you what he thinks, I won't lie and say, you know, I haven't heard the CD! A lot of people from bands do that!

"I think that it's a pretty good CD with some good metal moments on it!" Owens continued. "The intro song, 'Judas Rising', is a real good opener. I think it is one of the stronger songs on the CD! And 'Lochness' isn't as bad as people where saying — a little long, but it was cool! There are moments on the CD that I just don't like, but that is with every CD you get, so I won't even name them (number 4 — OOPS!).

"The CD is filled with some nice guitar work! The drums aren't 'Painkiller' but they are good, Scott [Travis] is a real good drummer, I mean his RACER X (his old band) playing was amazing! Ian [Hill, bass] is Ian, he is a great bass player, I think one of the best! Now to Rob! I think he sounds good, he has some classic moments, I think his low and mid-range vocals sound as good as ever!

"I asked a lot of people about this CD and got a lot of different responses, good and bad. But overall I think it is a good, hard-rocking CD, I would put it right up there with 'Ram It Down'! It's nice to see the guys back together!"

As previously reported, Owens recently launched his official web site at TimRipperOwens.com.

Owens, who stresses that he is still a full-fledged member of ICED EARTH, has completed work on his first solo demo recording with a view towards landing a record deal. Joining the singer on his upcoming solo album will be guitarist John Comprix (13 FACES, SPAWN), and Bobby Jarzombek] from ICED EARTH on drums. "The influence of the music [will] lean toward... PRIEST/SABBATH/PANTERA without the real heavy vocals!" Owens said.

I hope lochness grows on me :\

Bought the cd today, after having it as mp3s for while. Can't wait to hear it in proper quality :D

Those solos are great, huh? :D

That's one thing I really liked about the album - loads of great solos (great playing in general)! It's a rarety these days.
    Lochness - it's like 13 minutes long or something? I really like it already though, it's one of the tunes that's going through my head at the moment.

Advertisement