Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not able to access the soccer forum

Options
  • 11-02-2005 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I get this trying to access the soccer forum today:

Ardent, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is there a reason for this? Am I banned without being informed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I presume it's because someone you sponsered was banned. Fitz666 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

sounds like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Did you sponsor anyone that's been banned recently?

AFAIK on the soccer board, if you sponsor someone, and they act the muppet and get banned, you do too (hence the sponsoring people system, to discourage muppetry).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ah man, did he get banned?! I only sponsored him a week ago! I can't believe that. I'm too angry to comment anymore on this.

How long am I out for? I forget what the story was in the charter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

I think he got banned for a week - so its a week for you as well.

I didn't see what he did because it was edited but afaik he put up a poll and used some offensive names, instead of the proper team names.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224392

is whats in the thread now

• Advertisement

That's me never sponsoring anyone again. I should have trusted my instincts, I had doubts initially about the guy but reading through his previous posts he seemed OK.

I'm assuming if gets banned permanently I do too. Has this happened to anyone yet? I think the whole thing is very harsh. There should be a 3 strikes and you're gone system (ie., if you sponsor 3 different people and all get banned at some stage then you are out permanenty too).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You should be more careful who you grandfather into the forum. Yes if he's banned permanently, you suffer his fate too. Since someone gets banned progressively longer each time, its not so harsh as you get some warning.

You should probably have a word with your "buddy". Also I guess we should allow people to say "I no longer want to sponsor this person as it seems he's a wanker", though I'd prefer if people didnt sponsor people in in the first place unless they are sure they arent muppets.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    You should probably have a word with your "buddy".

Yeah, I've already done this. We'll see how it goes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apologies you should have been mailed. Unfortunately I did think that guy would be trouble and did originally think twice about giving him access. If he misbehaves again after he is allowed back in he will be gone for good but don't worry based on the fact I should have trusted my gut feeling you and the other sponsor will not be effected.

Thanks for that Gandalf, that's a huge relief for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Even his access request thread was filled with muppetry tbh.

Hard luck Ardent

And fair play to gandalf on not imposing the lifetime ban for sponsors.

Although, it has to be said, there seems to be a lot of people handing out sponsorship willy-nilly. I have detected a bit more "unconventional" posting in there in recent weeks.

Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DeVore wrote:
    though I'd prefer if people didnt sponsor people in in the first place unless they are sure they arent muppets.
    I thought that was the whole point of a sponsorship system :D

Seems to be working like a well-oiled machine anyway.

Seamus, even with the best of intentions people can makes mistakes. If I thought for a seconf yer man would do what he did, I'd never have sponsored him in the first place. I think you can go from one extreme to the other, e.g., no-one willing to sponsor anyone for fear of getting banned, possibly leading to a forum getting stale with familiarity. It's not my call but I think a little bit of flexibility is not the worst thing in the world.

Ardent wrote:
    Seamus, even with the best of intentions people can makes mistakes. If I thought for a seconf yer man would do what he did, I'd never have sponsored him in the first place. I think you can go from one extreme to the other, e.g., no-one willing to sponsor anyone for fear of getting banned, possibly leading to a forum getting stale with familiarity. It's not my call but I think a little bit of flexibility is not the worst thing in the world.
    I wasn't having a go at you at all, I understand your intentions were good. To be fair though, there's being too cautious to sponsor, and the flipside is sponsoring all and sundry. The whole "Ban everyone" policy seems to work well discourage everyone to sponsor anyone who asks for access.

For the record, I don't have access to the soccer forum.

Seamus, I know where you're coming from. I wasn't a member of boards.ie when the soccer forum was, if you go by what some have said, a little crazy. But I understand the sponsorship idea and the aim associated with it, even if I think it's a little on the harsh side. I've seen other web sites with forums where topics descend into farce.

(Off-topic:
    DeVore, read the "boards in the indo" thread today, and the background into boards.ie - well done to yourself and Cloud, fabulous site and thanks to all involved for what really is a superb contribution to Irish society, can only see the site getting even more popular as the Irish online community continues to grow.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Can I have a job?

joe. wrote:
    Can I have a job?

I have one already thanks. Don't be so cynical! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

arghhh i was the otehr guy who got banned!!!!!!!

lesson learned. however i was told i was only banned for a week and its been ages! apologies about fitzer i thought i was been nice by giving the guy a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ardent wrote:
    That's me never sponsoring anyone again.

To be fair Ardent, thats a bad outlook. I would suggest you check a posters history before sponsoring. Also, you can now revoke sponsorship, which is something you can point out to any of your future sponsorees, that if there is even a hint of muppetry, you'll pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

can someone help me because i was meant to be banned for a week and im out a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Did ya try PM'ing the Mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I got banned for a week last week for sponsoring but I got a pm
    from Talla about it and he answered my questions
    and pm'ed me again when it was lifted.

Apparently wwm trolled my guy. :rolleyes:

Since I dont visit/post in soccer much it didnt bother me.
    Its a good system i think. Every new poster has 2
    'guardians' to vouch for them.

It wont stop me sponsoring people tho.

Once theyre in soccer a certain period theyre no longer
    your responsibility so if they get banned you don't.

Good job Talla.
    Talla for King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

wow the soccer forum is like some flash exclusive nite club :p

:confused: was it sesame street at one stage or something?

bounty wrote:
    wow the soccer forum is like some flash exclusive nite club :p

:confused: was it sesame street at one stage or something?
    Yeah, it was just constant "Man U. suck!", "NO, Liverpool suck!" bull****, and just pointless bitching threads constantly.

Advertisement