Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane to call it quits in summer 2006...

• 11-02-2005 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one to have heard this? It was announced earlier that Keano will not be seking an extention to his curent contract and will quite the game next year...managment beckons methinks.
    MANCHESTER, England, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Manchester United captain Roy Keane says he will be retiring as a player at the end of the 2005-06 season.

The combative Ireland midfielder, who signed a four-year deal in 2002, told reporters on Friday: "When I signed the contract I believed that would be my last playing contract -- and I still believe that would be the case."

Hampered by injuries in recent years, notably a longstanding hip problem, the 33-year-old is still an inspirational figure for United despite his appearances and rest periods being carefully measured out by manager Alex Ferguson.

"I feel okay. We have probably got the balance right with the manager and the medical side of things," said Keane, who last year made a surprise return to international football and could yet play at the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

"I am missing the odd game here and there. The games I have played I have felt fresh. Physically, my hip feels good and my knees, and mentally I always enjoy my football.

"With a few days rest here and there I do feel that bit fresher."

Keane moved to Old Trafford in 1993 from Nottingham Forest and has gone on to play 460 times for United, scoring his 50th goal for them in last weekend's 2-0 win over Birmingham City.

Made captain at the beginning of the 1997-98 season, Keane's personal drive and authority, coupled with exceptional ball-winning skills, has made him one of the most daunting opponents in English football.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i heard it today sad day for united but it will give us a whole season to find the next keano to be honest there is only 1 keano, there is only 1 keano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lets hope his last professional game is in an Ireland shirt so. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Lets hope his last professional game is in an Ireland shirt so. :)
    is that an insult im 50-50 in thinking is it or isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

snoopdog wrote:

An insult to who? :confused:

You? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

snoopdog wrote:
    eh, if his last game is in an Ireland shirt it means Ireland would have qualified for the World cup. Still trying to work out how it could be an insult.

• Advertisement

no not to me but to keano im probly wrong
    never mind

just some people hate keano still for what he did in the last world cup

my mistake eirebhoy sorry

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Shame he can't go on for ever... ;)

I hope Fergie signs him up as coach or something straight away. Can't have him fecking off to manage anywhere else, can we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

eirebhoy wrote:
    eh, if his last game is in an Ireland shirt it means Ireland would have qualified for the World cup. Still trying to work out how it could be an insult.

well said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

So he wont end up at Celtic in the end, I wonder will he go straight into some kind of coaching role at Man U?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

His last game would be in the world cup I'd imagine, that is the gist I got.

Finishes his season at United, with the treble, then wins the world cup, what more could ya want :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    His last game would be in the world cup I'd imagine, that is the gist I got.

Finishes his season at United, with the treble, then wins the world cup, what more could ya want :)

Win the League Cup and community shield aswell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also glad to see you've come round to the fact that United are either gona win the premiership this season, or else the FA Cup. I hope you realise now how your inital predictions were incorrect.

As for the league cup it's for other teams, some lower table team, like say Newcastle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Shame, i reckon by the end of that contract he might be a bit old for the midfield role he's in at the mo but he could play another couple of seasons at centre half imo. That said he might be convinced to stay on at the end of the contract....suppose it depends on the football he's playing at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    As for the league cup it's for other teams, some lower table team, like say Newcastle :)

Two seasons ago I would have laughed at the comment .(I thought we were only going to get better and put up a real challenge for the league) But now I would take the league Cup very happily.............ive never seen my team win a major trophy , and I was 3/4 years old when they won their last meaningful trophy . (the old first division........not the old , old first division as it is now called)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

link

Roy Keane has revealed that, contrary to comments he made last week, he may extend his career at Old Trafford beyond the end of next season.

The 33-year-old seems to have rediscovered his inspirational form for Manchester United in recent weeks, after a powerful display in the 4-2 win over Arsenal and grabbing his 50th goal for the club against Birmingham.

Keane claimed on Friday that he would definitely leave The Red Devils at the end of next season, but a meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson has forced a rethink.

The tenacious midfielder has been one of United's most important players of recent times, and has forged a close emotional bond with the club following twelve years encompassing nearly 450 games.

Depending on his physical state the Republic of Ireland international could prolong his glorious career at the Premiership giants, and in all likelihood would not be prepared to drop out of the top tier.

"If this time next year my body is holding up and my hip is okay, and the knee, and Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz and Micky Phelan probably feel I can still contribute to the team then who knows," said Keane.

"The manager pulled me aside on the Saturday morning and said that he will be the one deciding when I'm going to be retiring.

"I couldn't see myself playing for another English team, or going down to the First or Second Division, no disrespect to the teams down there.

"I couldn't see it myself but the manager Saturday morning made that point to me and who knows."

However despite speculation regarding the date of his eventual retirement, it is certain that the controversial figure will move into management, and if he leaves Old Trafford it will be to a club offering a coaching role.

"I am not sure that [getting a coaching role] would necessarily happen at United but again you try and keep all of your options open," Keane continued.

"I am not silly enough to believe I could manage a Premiership club straight away, I would have thought I would have to go off and learn my trade, but again I do hope to be playing next year."

Keane, speaking at a fundraising campaign for Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind, would not rule out a surprise role with the Irish FA, but acknowledged it was unlikely after his well publicised spat in the 2002 World Cup.

"I couldn't possibly see myself at this moment in time working for the FAI but stranger things have happened I suppose.

"I suppose you can't change the past. It is 2005 now, that was 2002, I wouldn't change what happened in the past.

"I think a lot of people still miss the point that for me to play for any manager, for the manager to accuse me of faking injury in front of my team-mates, I still won't accept."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am sure/hope he will go on. Definately a coaching role, he has or is getting his UEFA badge I think I heard???

Hopefully he will go into the 06/07 after a successful world cup.
    Fergie seems to be sticking with O'Shea as the new Keane?? Different players completly but JOS can only learn from him

"As for the league cup it's for other teams, some lower table team, like say Newcastle "

You are some dog ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

keane has been a cracking player this season. There has been a rumour that he may help brian kerr when or if he retires as he has so much too offer, definately one of irelands best ever players.I for one hope he doesnt retire as he plays in a good position in front of the back four so he doesnt have to run around like a lunetic anymore. I would say o shea will replace keane at UTD as he has played alot recently beside him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who reckons he'd make a good manager? I'd see him as another Souness, but he might mellow a bit in old age.

Advertisement