Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scienic or Picasso, Advice Please

Options
  • 11-02-2005 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

We are thinking of changing my wife's car. She has a Punto at the moment and as we have a couple of kids, we are obviously thinking of a mid sized MPV. Looking around it seems as though a 2001 or 2002 Scienic or Picasso would be in our price range. I just wondered does anyone have any experience good or bad of either or both and what the general opinions are?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

We just picked up a 02 Picasso last week, for much the same reasons. Have to say that so far we're happy with it - the 1.6 petrol is not the strongest, hills tend to take the wind out of its sails, so the diesel would probably be better. We took the time to wait for one with Plus pack, including the Climate Control. I've read reviews saying that this is vital in a car of this size and I'd certainly agree (I'm too hot, I'm too cold, I want to open the window, I don't want a breeze :rolleyes: )

The reason we didn't look at the Renault is that I have an impression, which the reviews on HonestJohn.co.uk do nothing to dispel, that reliability is patchy. The Picasso seems to be better (touch wood) and parts are reasonable and well available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Dilbert75 wrote:
    We just picked up a 02 Picasso last week, for much the same reasons. Have to say that so far we're happy with it - the 1.6 petrol is not the strongest, hills tend to take the wind out of its sails, so the diesel would probably be better. We took the time to wait for one with Plus pack, including the Climate Control. I've read reviews saying that this is vital in a car of this size and I'd certainly agree (I'm too hot, I'm too cold, I want to open the window, I don't want a breeze :rolleyes: )

The reason we didn't look at the Renault is that I have an impression, which the reviews on HonestJohn.co.uk do nothing to dispel, that reliability is patchy. The Picasso seems to be better (touch wood) and parts are reasonable and well available.
    Hi
    Please dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 02

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

We bought a 00 1.4 scenic last year, we looked at the picasso but my better half just didn't like the look of it :rolleyes: I think the picasso is wider as it seemed to have 3 full sized rear seats, where with the scenic the middle one is a bit smaller than the outside ones. That dosn't make much difference as we have 2 children and when we do need to use the middle one, we just slide it forward a couple of inches and then every body has plenty of shoulder room.
    Apart from the fact that the 1.4 16v engine is gutless, (Good for tax and insurance but my old, very old, diesel golf has more grunt!) we are very happy with the car, loads of space, seats move, fold, adjust every which way, twin sunroof, air con, very comfy on long trips, and so far (Touch wood) hasn't given us any grief.
    The only thing I'm getting done to the car is having the rear windows tinted, because the windows are pretty big and my youngest keep's pulling down the sun blinds, and then bitching about the sun in his eye's :mad:
    A friend used to work for Citroen as a salesman and he said that the diesel picasso's were the one to go for, good engine and always in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You DO know they are French ?

stratos wrote:
    You DO know they are French ?
    Yes and I know where you are coming from ;), but my sister has one, any over the years a few renaults have passed through the extended family, and so far so good. (bloody thing will probably break down tomorrow :rolleyes: )
    Personally I prefer VW, but we wanted some thing bigger than another Golf and smaller than a passat. Caravelle was way too big for her, (had a transporter van, T3 I think, that was a great van) and the touran is too pricey for us at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Fair enuff'.

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    Please dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 02

Private sale, based on needing to replace a back door lock and the CD player, I got it for €13.5k. 38k miles, 1 owner + 7 months as demo.

First tank of petrol, 35mpg. Coming from a diesel where I got 47mpg regularly, that's a bit disappointing. But the tax & insurance will be quite a bit down from the 2.0.

In fact it was the three full seats that attracted us to the Picasso - we have a 9yo, a 2yo and another on the way so we needed 2 child seats. Those things take up so much space that it was the only way. It does make it wide but not excessively so. The turning circle's not great but you get used to it. The Captain's Armchairs in the front (well they have armrests) are nice too.

On versatility, the three rear seats fold easily. The middle one slides forward a couple of inches and folds with a tray on the back. There are aircraft tables on the backs of the front seats, hidden compartments in the rear floor, big door bins, a big boot, etc. It really is designed for families. It doesn't have sunroof but with the climate control, that doesn't bother me. Only something else to leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Private sale, based on needing to replace a back door lock and the CD player, I got it for €13.5k. 38k miles, 1 owner + 7 months as demo.

First tank of petrol, 35mpg. Coming from a diesel where I got 47mpg regularly, that's a bit disappointing. But the tax & insurance will be quite a bit down from the 2.0.

In fact it was the three full seats that attracted us to the Picasso - we have a 9yo, a 2yo and another on the way so we needed 2 child seats. Those things take up so much space that it was the only way. It does make it wide but not excessively so. The turning circle's not great but you get used to it. The Captain's Armchairs in the front (well they have armrests) are nice too.

On versatility, the three rear seats fold easily. The middle one slides forward a couple of inches and folds with a tray on the back. There are aircraft tables on the backs of the front seats, hidden compartments in the rear floor, big door bins, a big boot, etc. It really is designed for families. It doesn't have sunroof but with the climate control, that doesn't bother me. Only something else to leak.
    Hi
    I know because we got 1 new in 2001 and am thinking about changing now the car is a gem i want to hold on to it but the other half wants 05 i never had a prob with it you did well getting it for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    I know because we got 1 new in 2001 and am thinking about changing now the car is a gem i want to hold on to it but the other half wants 05 i never had a prob with it you did well getting it for that money

if your paying for it i wouldnt really listen to the other half imho.

In your shoes, the only reason I'd consider changing is for the 1.6 HDi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd pretty much done some research myself and found that air con is a must for the Picasso and the reliability is not great on the Scenic. I suppose it's really down to which the other half prefers. It seems as though the Scenic is slightly higher in price, but you get a bit more kit as standard than on the Picasso. Would this be right?

Does anyone know the things to look out for when buying either second hand?

Thanks again

If you get the Plus pack on the Picasso, I'm not sure how many more extras I'd want. Sunroof? If you've aircon, its demoted to a "nice to have". Give me more space, cheaper and more reliable any day. Oh, and a HDi!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have 1 1.6l scenic. We've had quite a few problems with the electrics, but otherwise, it's been fine (par for the course for a Megane). If we were to buy another, we'd get a larger beefier engine'd version.

Fantastic car for looking after the kiddies, very dynamic with seating, huge boot etc.. Dunno how it compares to a Picasso though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All
    i got a 2004 scenic model in December run in as was used as a ex demo or some such, have had the windows in the rear doors and boot in limo black tints with a shade less on front windows, apart from that it is a 1.4 dynamique model with all bells on, must say i am loving this car. cheap to run can cruise at 70 no effort at all. had a long trip to Achill Island 3 days after purchase and coped with 5 adults and full to the roof of bags etc. not a problem, everybody arrived quite happily. Baby loves the view and is not blinded from the sun.

all in all a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BJsUs

Have been driving for 20 yrs now and bought my first ever Renault 20 months ago, Scenic Megane 1.4 Sportway. With two kid, 9yrs and one extremely tall 15 yr. old. I can honestly say it has delivered everything I required bar maybe a little slugish when climbing hills, nothing that couldn't be resolved by shifting down a gear for a very short and noisy moment or two.

Look at the number of Scenic's that are on the roads, it speaks for itself.

Have test driven the 1.5 dCi version which I liked very much.

Trade in values for either make are not great. Just today, a friend and owner of an 8yr. old Scenic comented on the cost of replacement of Renault parts. D'ont know about Citroen. Good look in your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Not keen on either.All Citroens devour head gaskets the Ford galaxy or VW Sharan are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are loads of these mini-MPVs on the road these days but I'm yet to be convinced of the benefits of them compared to saloons/hatchbacks/estates. Things like double sunroofs, sliding seats, x number of cup holders are all a bit gimmicky and unnecessary IMO. Remember that most of these type cars only have 5 seats which kind of defeats the purpose of a "people carrier". If you have 4 kids then they're not suitable, if you have 2 kids then are they really any better than a normal car? They cost more, weigh more and are less aerodynamic (=poorer economy and performance) And one thing that people probably don't consider is that the cramped engine compartments can result in higher labour costs for mechanical work.

BrianD3

BrianD3 wrote:
    There are loads of these mini-MPVs on the road these days but I'm yet to be convinced of the benefits of them compared to saloons/hatchbacks/estates. Things like double sunroofs, sliding seats, x number of cup holders are all a bit gimmicky and unnecessary IMO. Remember that most of these type cars only have 5 seats which kind of defeats the purpose of a "people carrier". If you have 4 kids then they're not suitable, if you have 2 kids then are they really any better than a normal car? They cost more, weigh more and are less aerodynamic (=poorer economy and performance) And one thing that people probably don't consider is that the cramped engine compartments can result in higher labour costs for mechanical work.

BrianD3
    My missus had 2 "normal cars" before the Scenic, and I currently drive a golf, which is a normal car. When we weigh up the pros and cons of mini-MPV's against our previous and current normal car's, the scenic wins hands down, ok it's not the most powerful motor on the road but with all the "yellow packs" handing out 2 points and E80 if you do 54 KPH in a 50 zone, I can live with that. With regards to fuel economy we average 36MPG, which is pretty much what we were getting with the normal cars.
    The gimmicky twin sunroof makes the interior more "airy" and when both are tilted, the increased air flow makes it quite comfortable on warm day's, so you don't have to run the air con all the time.
    When you have two kids you really appreciate all the extra space you can get, the boot will take 2 buggies and all the crap that goes along with them. It has a larger boot than most hatchbacks, with most saloons the boot opening can kind of restrict bigger objects, with the scenic it's like a van, open the tail gate and chuck it all in. :) The only boot that I have recently seen that is bigger (in my opinion) is in a Skoda Octavia, it's HUGE!!
    The seating is high for both driver and passengers. When you are lifting kid's in and out I find it easier than a normal car.
    We have done a few long journeys in both normal car's and the Scenic, and we are heading to France for a couple of weeks in the summer and I know which vehicle we will be taking!
    Sorry if I'm ranting on a bit :o , but when I was young free and single, no kids etc, I had some nice fast car's (Golf GTI's and Corrado :cool: ) and used to look down my nose at those sad old farts in their MPV's, but now while I find myself missing those car's, I have become that old fart who is quiet happy with the MPV which transports my family in safety and in comfort.
    PS I really miss the Corrado ;)

Got it in one - with mini MPV's, you don't get more seats, you get more usable seats. Our Picasso has three (almost) full sized individual seats, so you can get in a couple of kiddie seats side-by-side, which you won't do in a standard saloon. Also the seat height and the roof height mean that you don't have to batter the child's head, your head or strain your back putting the little sweeties into their car seats.

Advertisement