Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone/Laptop link-up

Options
  • 11-02-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a latop and a ready to go phone, I also have a landline with broadband.
    I'm on the road a lot and need access to the net, now I have been told that in order to do so I need to get a mobile phone with some special sensor?
    Can anyone fill me in?
    Where should I go and how much will it cost?
    Ideally I want to scrap the rip-off eircom link and get broadband and my mobile phone bill in the one.
    Someone mentioned NTL..any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Are you on about retriveing emails from your laptop and so on?
    Sensor?
    What excatly do you want to do? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have a latop and a ready to go phone, I also have a landline with broadband.
    I'm on the road a lot and need access to the net, now I have been told that in order to do so I need to get a mobile phone with some special sensor?
    Can anyone fill me in?

There are numerous options. First and foremost, there is infra red. Both the laptop and the phone should have an infra red port. You line the two of them up, set up the phone as a modem on the laptop and away you go.

Another option is a straight forward cable. It goes from the bottom of the phone to the serial port of the laptop. The phone must of course support this and the laptop must have a serial port (most new ones don't).

The third, and probably most flexible option, is bluetooth. Again, the phone must have bluetooth built in and you can purchase a laptop USB bluetooth adapter. The key here is that you do not need to line up the ports on the phone/laptop as you do with infra red and it is completely wireless.
    Where should I go and how much will it cost?

It is nothing short of daylight robbery. You are charged by the kb, so if you are doing anything more than reading a few mails, be prepared to re-mortgage the house.

Advertisement