Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apiro performance air filter in the F/S Section

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JohnCleary wrote:
    I've had this on my car for about 2 months (Done about 1,000 miles... clean as a whistle) but I upgraded to a forced cold air feed induction kit today so im selling my Apiro performance air filter. Fits any fuel injected engine!!

Price: 40 euro delivered to your door
    It's the blue one. Apart from you gaining a few BHP and better torque, it looks amazing and really adds to the looks in your engine bay!
    apiro-bomba.jpg
    Personally, I think it looks rotten but anyway I have 3 Qs.
    1. If it is so good, why did you upgrade so soon?
    2. What evidence is there that there are increases in torque and BHP?
    3. It appears to be a cone filter stuck inside a childs toy. Is it paper based though or what? If not how is it cleaned & how frequently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kbannon wrote:
    Personally, I think it looks rotten but anyway I have 3 Qs.
    1. If it is so good, why did you upgrade so soon?
    2. What evidence is there that there are increases in torque and BHP?
    3. It appears to be a cone filter stuck inside a childs toy. Is it paper based though or what? If not how is it cleaned & how frequently?

I have only one question, are you interested in it or are you merely trolling?

1) The GF bought me a forced CAF induction kit when she was in the UK, she didnt know I already had a filter
    2) Physical evidence, I could notice the slight difference when driving
    3) It is a cone filter. It's not the flimsy cheap ass e-bay paper cones. Don't know what material it is made of but its the same as the K&N stuff. I cleaned it when I removed it with the cleaning oil stuff that came with my new K&N, eventhough there was really no need as its had minimal use

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JohnCleary wrote:
    I have only one question, are you interested in it or are you merely trolling?
    neither really. <considerate>I decided to post it here and not disrupt your advert! </considerate>
    JohnCleary wrote:
    1) The GF bought me a forced CAF induction kit when she was in the UK, she didnt know I already had a filter
    fair enough - didn't explain why you upgraded after a month!
    JohnCleary wrote:
    2) Physical evidence, I could notice the slight difference when driving
    hmmm. Assuming a similar performance 'gain' as a K&N cone then you are likely to suffer power loss in uirban traffic due to the warm air being taken in. However, assuming that you noticed a gain and that this was whilst moving fast (using cold air) BHP gains are still small and many experts would claim that there is not a noticable difference!
    JohnCleary wrote:
    3) It is a cone filter. It's not the flimsy cheap ass e-bay paper cones. Don't know what material it is made of but its the same as the K&N stuff. I cleaned it when I removed it with the cleaning oil stuff that came with my new K&N, eventhough there was really no need as its had minimal use
    Which brings me back to the point that cone filters usually reduce power output for most cars as these cars are used in slow moving traffic and hence allow warm to be used in the engine. Only a heat shield or a forced cold air induction system will prevent the warm air entering!

Still looks awful though! Nonetheless, I hope you sell it (even if it can be sourced on ebay.co.uk for far less!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boy, if I had a euro for every cheap go faster bolt-on I'd be rich. Electric supechargers are the latest whizz, they are of course nonsense but at 70 dollars in the States enough ppl are guilible to buy them and make someone richer.

The best bet for cheap air-intakes is to fed the air directly from say behind the grill or bumper in a fairly straight line throught an insulated pipe to a K&N type filter, it'll make no difference at anything lower than about 2500-3000 rpm but can add a little umph when overtaking on the open road. But thats it.

Forget the K&N washable filter too, how to kill your Mass Airflow Sensor.

Mike.

*** Now sold ***

Sold it to a young lad down the road from me. He heard the roar from it and just had to have it.

@mike65 - I have an enclosed forced CAF K&N now... its the business. Not noisy at all but at the mid RPM range (well on my ZR anyway) it gives a little kick.

Next step - De-Cat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

JohnCleary wrote:
    *** Now sold ***

Sold it to a young lad down the road from me. He heard the roar from it and just had to have it.

@mike65 - I have an enclosed forced CAF K&N now... its the business. Not noisy at all but at the mid RPM range (well on my ZR anyway) it gives a little kick.

Next step - De-Cat :)

A de-cat on a smaller engine can kill your torque, as it can lead to a loss of backpressure .pain in the ass come nct time too...

kdevitt wrote:
    A de-cat on a smaller engine can kill your torque, as it can lead to a loss of backpressure .pain in the ass come nct time too...

Many people in the UK mod the same model car I have, they say it improved everything all round so im gonna go with that. It's only 4 bolts and 15 mins. But yeah im gonna leave it until I do my NCT this time round (3 weeks)

Advertisement