Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two simple puzzles.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Excellently done and completly wrong =)

Although you were thinking the right way. By wrapping the paper around a cylinder it is possible to draw a single straight line that spirals around to pass through all dots.

can a spiral be considered straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by C B:
    can a spiral be considered straight?

Everything is relative to your frame of reference.

While a spiral doesn't look straight when you straighten out the page, it is straight when you have it wrapped around the cone.

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Everything is relative to your frame of reference.

While a spiral doesn't look straight when you straighten out the page, it is straight when you have it wrapped around the cone.

i would have thought the exact opposite. the line is straight when the paper is unfurled. but when wrapped around the cylinder or cone (which are entirely different objects) it loses its straighness.

Myaybe i'm being a complete ass and can't see what right in front of my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The puzzle is taken from a book which I'm currently reading (along with others). It's called "Psychology of Intelligence Analysis" by Richards J. Heuer, Jr. (who works for the CIA).

It explains it in more detail, but basically if I draw a straight line from A-B (from top to bottom) while the cyclinder is rotating it creates a spiral.

The puzzle in its self is not to solve the answer but to prove that people set limitations on thier answers based on thier biased outlook on life.

So the ball bearing answer in a way is correct, if I drew 3 lines and asked someone else to join the lines together that answer would be techincally correct based on the orginal rules given.

These sort of thinking can be put to real world applications in development. Too often a developer will say "That can't be done" or suggest a textbook method to solve a problem when trying to think outside the rules works out better.

yes,
    i agree entirely with you. too often people fail to find solutions by not looking at a problem in a more holistic fashion.

this however does not solve my difficulty with your answer the spiral is not a straight line maybe you need to fax me the page from the book.
    wait soory i'm an idiot i get it.

[This message has been edited by C B (edited 21-09-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Hendrix

No Spiral is not straight, he/she is gay!!
    biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Ok looks like no one is going to get the 3 one.

So here is the explanation.

The line goes...

1-2-3-a
    a-6-5-4-b
    b-7-8-9

This is perfectly possible if you do not draw the lines through the center of the dots.
    </font>

<edit> dont mind me i'm a ranting fool. i get it now </edit>

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 03-05-2001).]

Advertisement