Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residence rumours and related ramifications

Options
  • 12-02-2005 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sorry for the alliteration, I'm tired and it amused me

Amyway, I've heard rumours that CTYI 05 will be in the new res (the old new res, not the uber shiny new res that gets in the way). This is from a reasonably reliable source, buit it's apprently not certain yet. I was just wondering what peoples opinions on this would be. Personally, I would be opposed to it. For one thing, the new res has no central quad for general layabouting. But, primarily, the old res is a home. I've been spending 3 weeks of my summer there for the last 4 years, and damned if those weren't 12 of the best weeks of my life. The old res seems like more of a home than my home itself at times, and I don't want to lose it.

But thats enough of my opinoin, because I doubt many of you care in the least. Does anyone else have a viewpoint? If the general consensus is against, it might be worth getting in touch with the powers that be in the form of a petitions/flood of pleading emails

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

The lack of a quad would piss me off! The rooms aren't that big a deal. So i wouldn't mind. We need some place to laze about though! To be "cool"!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I agree with aonghus, as shiny as the "new res" may be it just wouldn't be the same as the good old Larkfeild, complete with less than half the common rooms open, far too few fire extinguishers, dodgy beds, the quad and sooo many memories. It just wouldn't be the same without that......familarity and feeling of being somewhere like home i've had arriving there the past two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

..But then there's nothing left to yearn for as you leave your room that smells like cigarettes and vodka and has a glow in the dark penis on the roof.. (This room actually exists)
    And surely the CTYIers would only occupy a floor and a bit, the place is much bigger than the old res.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I dunno, the showers sucked and all that. But there's so much familiarity about the old place. And if we only took up a floor it would be really weird. It wouldn't seem the same at all. Much harder to lean out windows and talk.

My room last year had UV obsenities on the wall too, with stars on the ceiling. And the crappy disability shower the year before. No, it just wouldn't be right.

Anyway I thought they got some ultra special cheapo deal for taking up the old res. Though the fees have gone up this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

meh. if the showers are better, i'm happy. i think i was happiest with the showers in the sports complex. how many people are there to a room in the new res?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

This will be my first and only year as a resident, but the old res holds as much importance to me as it does to Aonghus, because of all the times I made use of other people's rooms and because of being midget-tossed and brought on piggyback rides and being lifted up to a first floor common room window to rescue Pimp the monkey in the quad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

does it really make a difference? we're barely ever in res but for sleep etc.
    it'll be a nice change i think...

(A) (B) (C)

ok, if A is our res from previous years, and B is italians folks' res, does that mean C is the one we'll be going to this year if the rumours are correct, yeah? or is it across from C?

has anyone ever been in old new res? whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

My room last year had UV obsenities on the wall too, with stars on the ceiling.
    My friend Owen had that room in Session 1 '04. LOL. :D

What res. are you guys talking about? I only know our one and the sportugitalianrds' one (which also has a quad so I know you can't mean that).
    Where is this "old new" res.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The one with the laundrette. The sportalians are moving to the one we had to have showers in afaik

A= The usual CTYI Res (Old Res)
    B= The usual Sportalians Res (Old New Res, has a courtyard but it's not really suited to hanging about in)
    C= The brand-new-uber-shiny Res myself and a few other spent a night in after the shower incident (Newest Res, attached to the sports complex with no hanging about facilites (or even common rooms) to speak of*)

The sportalians will be moving from B to C and it was suggested CTYI would then move from A to B.

*This is probably cause the apartments are huge and have living rooms

• Advertisement

has anyone gotten their course application yokes yet?
    How much is the "increased fees", residential of course

application forms can't have gone out yet cause the SATs results aren't back

I dunno, the showers sucked and all that. But there's so much familiarity about the old place. And if we only took up a floor it would be really weird. It wouldn't seem the same at all. Much harder to lean out windows and talk.

My room last year had UV obsenities on the wall too, with stars on the ceiling. And the crappy disability shower the year before. No, it just wouldn't be right.

Anyway I thought they got some ultra special cheapo deal for taking up the old res. Though the fees have gone up this year...

how would they know if they hadn't got the forms?

ah right, they haven't gone up significantly though.

a quick e-mail or phone call to the CTYI would reveal if there's any truth in these rumours y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Off you go then

ya, well, the reason i posted that was mainly so someone else would do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Teehee... :p This place amuses me.

Hey, i went to DCU open day and the Sportalian res is GORGEOUS!!! You can actually *fit* into the showers (this is highly important for someone whose hair is nearly three feet long, like myself).
    Besides, their quad is hang-outable. I think it has more benches and on cold days you can stand outside by the laundrette wall where pipes blow out the hot air. *Sigh*, great on cold morings... :)
    Plus, CTYI isn't really about accomodations. Sure we'd have less to bit.ch about when we write another Fare-well song but that's a small price to pay for comfort. And there should be enough space so no one has to sleep on a mattress on the floor (stupid camp bed *grumbles*).

Cheer up all! Not all change is bad and as a Nevermore I'd like to leave without a broken back (stupid, stupid camp bed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I did journalism in my first year, and somehow ended up doing an interview with some Sportalians. They said that there's only one to a room in the old new res. How sucky would that be?

• Advertisement

it's one to a bedroom, multiple bedrooms in an apartment. just like the old res but with more than two bedrooms afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

That sounds much better. IMO. it'd be great being able to annoy multiple people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I can see lots of girly fights over the bathroom coming out of this move.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

i stayed in old new res in miniCTYI.
    deyre cool coz there is one common(with kitchen) room to each corridor and one room in eah has a double-bed.
    but it lacks a quad and none of the rooms are connected like the old ones are (share a bathroom/kitchen)so you cant talk all night.

so, in summary it sucks and i want old old res.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Please try to speak english, not text.

Old res is very CTYI, kinda tradition. Old new res is nice enough, new res is even nicer and I've yet to break into new new res (beside swimming pool).

I quite liked new res to be honest (the one behind old new res). ... Ah. Now I remember old new res. Yeah it's quite nice. An actualy kitchen/seating area. The "quad" does suck though. Very unquad like. New res one isn't too bad if I'm remembering correctly.

My memories lie with old res though - it may be old but it has "character". :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

New new res is largely post grads iirc? and tbh when i was in CTYI we jonesed majorly after old new res, it was like the hallowed grail we never got. count your blessings if you get it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I hope it's not one to a room. The roommates are the best part. Staying up all night talking, or falling asleep while aisling talks to you... then incurring her wrath in the morning. Or sitting in the kitchen with hilary as she shouts at the RAs. If the rooms aren't connected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I Have to agree with Angus and the rest of you on this one, old res would probably be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

if i have to share a bathroom with more than one person, i'll go insane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I'm sorry, but CTYI wouldn't be CTYI without old res. i mean, moaning about the conditions there etc etc etc. they CAN'T move CTYI outta old res, that'd be the ultimate - we're no longer what it is that CTYI is known for. IMHO, kinda like taking NEM or AP outta the disco...

Advertisement