Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fanny Packs & Pleated Pants

• 12-02-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have observed that a significant number of European tourists, young and old traveling to the States wear
    these and these.

For Americans, in general only the elderly and uber geeks wear them. Is there anything you may have observed American tourists wear that normally someone of style wouldn't be caught in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Hi MizzKattt,

I learned before visiting Europe not to wear white tennis shoes for anything other than playing tennis. The sneakers stay at home!

Also, the word "fanny" in Ireland seems to mean female genitals and not a person's backside/buttocks as Americans understand the word. So your thread title made me laugh! Pants usually means someone's underwear, and not trousers or slacks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

ahaahaaa....yea fanny packs.

I recall going to holland on school trip when I was 15 and we were given "fanny packs" to wear as compulsory items because apparantly its hard for theives to pull them from you (unlike shoulder bags or whatnots)
    as for the pleated pants, very groovy, but I doubt anyone would want to steal them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

oh..and I think you should wear whatever you like, don't think anyone would bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Possibly wearing shorts with sandals when it's not warm enough for that sort of thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

Also, the word "fanny" in Ireland seems to mean female genitals and not a person's backside/buttocks as Americans understand the word. So your thread title made me laugh! Pants usually means someone's underwear, and not trousers or slacks. :)

Well, I declare! What an embarrassing faux pas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

LMAO @ fanny packs!!! They're called 'bum-bags' here. And NO ONE wears them. Note: never say fanny unless you are referring to female genitalia! When I first saw this thread I thought it was about some sort of new sanitary product!

I've noticed that in the summer a lot of American girls dress like they're out for a jog or something. As in baggy t-shirts with some college logo, sports shorts and socks with runners (sneakers). Or else something like that with sporty flip flops, or else those big massive ugly platform ones.

Clunky shoes seem to be another favourite. I lived with a load of American girls for six months last year and I couldn't get over some of the horrendous shoes they had. They were pretty trendy girls as far as Americans go too.

Whether it's good or bad, they seem to have a completely different style to us. For example BIG hair is good (aaaaaargh!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

yeah.. prrrfftt.. americans.. prrrfftt.. prrrfftt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

*Sassy* wrote:
    LMAO @ fanny packs!!! Note: never say fanny unless you are referring to female genitalia!

I apologize profusely!!!!!! I have noted the slang and will NOT use that word again.

/blushes deep shades of red!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Funny, I always associated those pleated chino-type trousers with american tourists that infest Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Fanny Packs haha sooooo funny. Goddamn americans and their weird phrases... lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement