Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Galway from Sunday til Tuesday

• 12-02-2005 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im headin to Galway for a couple of days tomorrow, so just wondering whats good to see, where to eat etc. Im staying in the middle of the city and it'll be a pretty tight budget!

Any Galwegians fancy giving me a few good tips on whats on offer to keep me busy?! Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Foam party in GPO from 2pm to 6pm on Monday, should keep you busy for a while anyways... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

hmm..sunday till tues? You could definately check out cuba on sunday night. Haven't gone in a while on sundays, but it's usually very good (from what i can remember, which isn't a lot) Should only be €6 to get in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Hope you enjoy yourself and all but don't stay long....Your wasting our Oxygen...Galways like NYC only with more pimps and chuds and less places of interest lol Nah I'm just kiddin Galway is o.k, just don't drink the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Let's see.

Places to see:

Several art galleries about town, within 5 minute's walk of the city centre. A few of the pubs, particularly the Crane and Tí Chóilí (sp?), have very good live trad sessions. If you're lucky, the Rosin Dubh will have a good live act too. Shop street often has buskers and performers, ranging from average to surprisingly good. Does Cuba still have the Black Magic band on Mondays? That's cracking good big band jazz there, highly recommended.

Places to eat:

Most of the really good restraunts are a little off the beaten track.

Bananaphoblacht off Dominic St. is good for lunch, not too expensive, and stays open quite late. The food is a little different to most other places about Galway. The King's Head on Quay St. does very nice food, too. I'm particularly fond of their soup and sandwiches. La Salsa on Shop St. and Abbeygate St. (I think, near Sally Long's pub) do some excellent Mexican food, very big portions for the price. Most of the places on Quay St. are geared for tourists, so while they're all good food, they can be pricey. Regardless of price, seek thee out McDonagh's Seafood restraunt. It's brilliant.

Hope that helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

almost forgot, fat freddy's is THE place for pizza.. that and marios for chips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just home!
    We had a ball, took it very easy and did some serious chilling out. Fat Freddies was smashin as was the all you can eat buffet in the Radisson for 15 quid!!! (Well I ate all I could anyway, Apologies to the Radisson if 3 goes at their potato salad was inappropriate)

I stayed in Jurys Inn.. brilliant location and the residents bar was great.. their chicken Gougons are the business.

Guinness in Buskers was a tad watery, the atmosphere in the main street though was just brilliant, Its so laid back and I didnt see one scumbag. I was well impressed with Galway in general, Id go back in a shot.

Take a bow Galweigans! And thanks for the tips!! Sorry I didnt get some of them til now, but sure its an excuse to go back sometime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

smile.gif

Advertisement