Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God is an Astronaut...

• 12-02-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Was just listening to a tiny bit of their new album (on the speakers outside Tower.lol) and they sound really good. Exactly the ambient type music ive been looking for lately (Asura-Lost eden is the closest i got) so has anyone listened to the full album?Any comments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've seen the video to "Fragile" on MTV2 and it was very moving. Great song too, I think they're playing in Cork shortly. Haven't heard the album though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I just got the album today and it is really brilliant. I don't know how best to describe but it certainly is full of emotion. They kind of remind me of some of The Cures older music but without the vocals. There is not a track on the album that I can fault and I would highly recommend buying it.

Off topic but a great ambient mix if you dont have it is the Nick Warren Global Underground Reykjavik, mind blowing, particularly - Tightrope Artist Tale - Planet Funk. Great chill out CD (Disc 1) and comes alive slightly towards the end but keeps the theme well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Picked it up today also! Only 12E which was nice. I agree, its brilliant. A few of the tracks have a very aphex twinny feel to them. Only had a quick listen but im impressed so far. And as always, its nice to support the fellow irish. Its a trio from Dublin isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 GiantSpacePanda

I saw them at Oxegen and thought they were amazing, their a three piece and the guitarist and bassist are brothers, their live show is great. Bought the album last summer, its very good have to put coda or route 666 as my fav tracks

Listened to it a bit more throughly and its great. Not as aphexy as i though, much more instrumental. There is a great little 2 minute track after the last song. Wraps things up perfectly.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I listened to it three times in a row last night which I don't normally do with a new CD, that last two minute track does finish it really well.

I can't think of the track name or number but there is a relatively heavy / lively track that has a really abrupt ending to it, its excellent whatever it is! (in work, CD at home!)

They are playing again in March, def going this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

And now Fearghul McKhee (from Whipping Boy fame) is singing with them.... Two words band wagon. Or is that one? Good band though little bit sparse in my opinion, but good to see some good irish music.

mmm, wonder what his singing will do to them...

sparse in what way?

Well when I saw them them live (at oxigen) it was altogether a little boring, and before you hang me. I like their vibe, it's sorta of Aphex Ambient works with a little bit of Sigur Ros, and a lot of Tool Lateralus thrown in. I just found a little uninteresting after a while, a big 'mongworthy'. The visuals were good, again very Tool-esque.

wtf. The whole lack of vocals is what makes this album so good. I have a feeling putting words to it may take a lot away.

• Advertisement

Altheus wrote:
    Well when I saw them them live (at oxigen) it was altogether a little boring, and before you hang me. I like their vibe, it's sorta of Aphex Ambient works with a little bit of Sigur Ros, and a lot of Tool Lateralus thrown in. I just found a little uninteresting after a while, a big 'mongworthy'. The visuals were good, again very Tool-esque.

Yeah, think I know where your coming from. Can be great as a CD but live may just not work.

The only ambient gig I have ever been to was The Orb back in '94 in the point. That was amazing for lots of reasons i wont get into :)
    Although Andy Weatherall and I think David Holmes supported Djing so there was plenty of dancing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was in Tower last week, and bought both albums on the strength of what I heard in the shop. Its really good stuff....

The Orb, that's a completely different 'ambient' imho. Weatherall and Holmes supporting... nice gig.

Altheus wrote:
    The Orb, that's a completely different 'ambient' imho. Weatherall and Holmes supporting... nice gig.

different ambient alright, but I put both in the same "not jumping around the dancefloor category"!

Was an amazing night, my introduction to the whole scene really. Went to the temple of sound the following saturday and made it my second home for around 3 years - until club fm took it over and eh...well, it went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DJ Kryptonic

Im good friends with the drummer's brother, but they aint dance music?!

Advertisement