Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why should one buy an X Box

• 12-02-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy one,
    convince me, modding and what not.

I dont like halo btw so....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Halo 2 is pretty much the best reason to buy one. If you're not pushed then wait for XBox 2 to come out later this year.
    There are some brilliant games on the XBOX such as the Splinter Cell series, Halo, Time Splitters 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i hear Xbox 2 is targeted for november ? rumours though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i hope WizZard realises splinter cell & 'splitters are on the ps2 too...

anyway, halo2 is the only reason i forced my brother to buy one :) other games like crimson skies, ninja gaiden etc. are quite tastey too

and yeah, xbox2 is looking increasingly aimed at a late-2005 release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, I do. Splinter Cell is also on the PC. In fairness, the games that are on the Xbox can be gotten on other platforms, but Halo 2 seems to be the only game so far that actually uses the Xbox to some of it's capabilities.
    I do like the Xbox, and I like the fact that if I get bored of games on it it can be made into a mini-pc, but I may not buy Xbox 2, I may buy PS3 instead

/me waits for cries of horror and a banning!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 4000Holes

Xbox Live is the real reason to buy it, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's not a PS2.

4 joypad ports at no extra cost.

PGR2 > GT3
    ProEvo4 online.

Xbox Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Its essentially a PC so you can do all sorts of weird crap to it such as install linux. Don't ask me why you would do it. Our tutor did it... he hates MS (But he went out and bought one eh)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

PLus u can save ur CDs onto the Hard-drive and listen to ur own music during certain games. That and you don't need a memory-card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Fable is a pretty good reason as well, If you like the RPG genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Buy it to mod it! That's what I did. It's fantastic.

Don't use it to play too many games these days I must admit. It's basically my media centre. Got the hard disk full of films. Even more streaming from my PC. Same with all my music. Check out XboxMediaCentre for info on it.

It's also fantastic for emulation. Got some of the best emulators you can get.

Xbox-Scene should be your first stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I nearly stopped playing mine until I modded it, now I'm always on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

Have to agree with 4000Holes. Xbox Live is the best reason for buying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

the ability to play N64 Games on it is the best reason to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

elvis2002 wrote:
    the ability to play N64 Games on it is the best reason to buy it.

exactly, that coupled with the older consoles (nes snes sms megadrive etc). Its also handy for playing media files and dvds. not to mention 'backup games'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As has already been said, the best reason to buy is to mod it, IMO. Get a big hard disk installed and away you go with mp3, divx, emulators and so on. Turn's it intop a complete media center and not just a games console. Plus, you can copy your Xbox games onto the disk for quicker loading and if you're bringing it places you don't have to lug the discs around with you too.

Plus the sniper rifle you can buy for it (with Silent Scope Complete game) is the business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

i hope WizZard realises splinter cell & 'splitters are on the ps2 too...

I hope WizZard AND projectmayhem realise splinter cell and time splitters are on the gamecube, too :P

xbox is the poor man's PC. Most of the people here say one of two things:
    1. The best reason to get an xbox is to mod it (make it more like a pc, but still not really as useful).
    2. The best reason to get an xbox is live (PC has always been the daddy of online play).

I've always been a PC gamer primarily, but I got a gamecube because it's the least PCish in its style and its games, so i get a broad range of gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 halflife

I have GentooX linux running on mine , it is an apache web server , a mail server , an SQL database server and an FTP server . I can telnet or ssh into it from work and configure it and ftp to the http root .

Remember this is an xbox . It is simply amazing what you can do with this console .

Anyone interested in the same ..

http://gentoox.shallax.com/

Host your own website with your standard IP ( DNS NAME RESOLUTION )

www.no-ip.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Are there any Gamecube or N64 emulators for the Xbox does anyone know? Was thinking of getting a modded box and I'd love to play Mario Cart 64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Edit: double post, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I have many consoles old and new and tbh if you have a PC there is little or no point in having an Xbox.

I have seen some nice games on it but most of these are on other consoles and most of the good Xbox games are much better on the PC. My point is if you want a console a slim line PS 2 is well priced and is a true console.

However, if you want something thats more of a go between and also you can stick things like mame on it which is nice, but, again why bother if you have a PC already.

I guess its what you want it for if you want a games machine that is for easy pick up and play rather than the more indepth PC games PS 2 all the way. If you want something that is half PC half games machine the its Xbox.

Also, don't forget you could get a PS 2 non slim line now for well cheap.

Personally the next thing I fork out for is the new PSP I have played the DS and the PSP and the PSP is just amazing blows everything else outa the water. Still wouldn't mind a PC engine :/

EDIT

Also, just one more thing GT SanAndreas is the also PS 2 only and is one of the best games I have played this year where as Xbox doesn't have anything to hold to it. As well as splinter Cell with extra levels and of course metal gear solid. In short a bigger range of good games on PS 2 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

just buy one if you want one, dont let fanboys make ur mind up for you.

ps: san andreas is coming out on the xbox in june or sometime around then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

just buy one if you want one, dont let fanboys make ur mind up for you.

ps: san andreas is coming out on the xbox in june or sometime around then

Yeah after iv finished it big woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vibe

I'm one of the lucky one's who own an xbox.From my point of view the xbox is the best console out there wit 50,000+ mb's,xbox live,four controller slots and if u get it chipped u can store gamez onto the harddrive the only bad thing about the xbox is it's size is huge compared to other consoles.But for all the good thins it's well worth it.

Advertisement